Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-10-2013, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't notice the date, and I always look at it too.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd boy View Post
Our business, currently, is strictly landscape design / construction. A lot of hardscapes, water features, etc.

I am seriously considering opening a franshised lawn application business as an extension. Anyone else go this route? I am just thinking in this aspect of the industry there is more competition than in construction, so name brand recognition would be helpful.

Obviously it would probably be cheaper and easier to simply start offering it to existing customers, but I really think I like the notion of national name recognition. The trade off is the expense.

What do you think?
Franchise to me implies low cost and low quality. The sweet taste of low cost disappears quickly and the taste of low quality remains for a long time.

I do not eat at franchise restaurants because their quality disappoints me.

Franchises cost about $100,000. For that money I can get the equipment, pay the salary for a solo crew for a year, and advertise so much that I would get more work then I could handle. Then not have to give the franchiser a cut of my sales.

I do not need a parasite with their hands in my wallet.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
I didn't notice the date, and I always look at it too.
I did not notice the date though I did notice your post after I made my post.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Franchise to me implies low cost and low quality. The sweet taste of low cost disappears quickly and the taste of low quality remains for a long time.

Franchises cost about $100,000. For that money I can get the equipment, pay the salary for a solo crew for a year, and advertise so much that I would get more work then I could handle. Then not have to give the franchiser a cut of my sales.

I honestly wish you would quit giving out false information, just because you don't like or believe in franchising doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good fit for someone else, and all franchises don't cost $100,000 some are much cheaper than that, and all franchises don't equate to low cost and low quality, that's just your opinion.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's a bottom line on this one, franchises make money, period. If they didn't, then no one would do them. I agree that if you build your own company from the ground up, it may be slow going at first, but eventually you will get where you want to be to be happy and your profit margins are better and you net income at the end of the year are better. It all comes down to a few simple things, how much work you want to put into it, how much money you want to initially invest, and how much money you want to make on the backside. Once you've answered those things, then make the decision that is best fit for you. When I started my landscape business I had every other franchise company call me offering me a "once in a lifetime" deal with their franchise. I told them all to pack sand b/c I could make more on one of my medium sized accounts than I could with three of their small ones and haven't heard from them since. I won't franchise, but that's because I don't care to go that route. I started my own business so that I could work for myself, but franchising would take that away from me.
2014 Kubota SVL90 CTL
2013 eXmark 60" Lazer Z X-series
2013 eXmark 60" Lazer Z E-series
2013 eXmark Commercial 30"
Echo/Stihl peripherals
Old 12-18-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post

yea franchises suck, I would much rather own no name hamburger store than a mcdonalds...

I would love to see some of the people who bad mouth franchises gross and net revenue compared to a franchise owner. I bet the franchisee would win out in the majority of the cases... while I don't own a franchise I know of two different people who own lawn application franchises and I can tell you they live largeeeee... can they do it without the franchisor behind them? maybe but they don't seem to mind giving up there percentage every month!
Old 12-18-2013, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I never heard the words "once in a lifetime deal" when inquiring about a franchise, they know like any business, takes time to build, they want YOU to be successful if not then THEY don't get anything. No one at USL OR GG's promised overnight success, these guys aren't get rich quick schemes. Kurt, how many landscape franchises called you? only two have ever called me. Not sure how many there are but pretty sure there aren't very many legit ones anyway.

Last edited by cpllawncare; 12-18-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't pay 100k so I could use some name that no one knows to spread fertilizer.

McDonalds might be a nice business to own.

Anyone notice this thred is almost 20 years old
Old 12-18-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

LOL Didn't notice that Larry, I don't know about the fertilizer guys but that seems to be where the low quality franchises are, I've been looking at USL'S accounts around town here and they seem to be in fair to good shape, the quality of work is the responsibility of the franchise owner, if they are producing low quality work then they would be doing so with or without a franchise so that argument is a mute point. I don't know what a fertilizer franchise cost but a USL or GG's franchise isn't no where near 100K, my point being that as a solo guy with a goal to build a med to large company your going to spend over 100K no matter with or without a franchise, but as a solo your going to waste a large portion of that on mistakes and the large learning curve involved in growing a business, whereas with a franchise unless you just don't follow the guidelines they give you you'll grow much faster without all the waste. Besides who says that a franchise is a lifetime commitment?
Old 12-18-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintNoFun View Post
yea franchises suck, I would much rather own no name hamburger store than a mcdonalds...

I would love to see some of the people who bad mouth franchises gross and net revenue compared to a franchise owner. I bet the franchisee would win out in the majority of the cases... while I don't own a franchise I know of two different people who own lawn application franchises and I can tell you they live largeeeee... can they do it without the franchisor behind them? maybe but they don't seem to mind giving up there percentage every month!
I bet you pull the top 20 percent of franchise and the top 20 percent of Mon franchise lawn care businesses ,the non franchises will win hands down , period .......
If you are not giving them ten plus percent , then that goes to you.
Hire some green industry consultants .Many of then can help you format a lawn care franchise but don't give It to
Some franchise that has measured every word carefully to solve all the aches and pains of running your own business and inevitably is there to make money of of you ,not just once but for a lifetime ....
Posted via Mobile Device