Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenI.A. View Post
We have been doing a 4 day work week aswell. For me it was simple math. Before the guys were working five days. It takes an hour in the morning to get out the gate and make it to our job sites. Then figure a hour drive back to the shop in the afternoon, and a half hour to unload and load up for the next day. With an 8 hr day we were only on the job sites for 5.5hrs, that's only 27.5hrs a week. Now we do four 10hr days, with the same time constraints we get 7.5 hours of production a day, which is 30hrs a week.

Working Monday-Thursday is great. We do a lot of 2day irrigation and lighting installs. So we usual schedule one to start Monday then a second for Wednesday. Same with small softscapes. On large construction jobs During the summer we find that a lot of our customers and their neighbors work a 4day week or work from home on Fridays, so they enjoy not listening to our equipment and saws as well.

Another huge benefit is when we need guys to work overtime. Guys are a lot more likely to volenteer to work ot on a Friday than they are on a Saturday. Guys are also less likely to call out for appointments since they have a weekday off to do them. They don't have to take a morning off to go to the dentist or to the DMV, one guy is about to have a baby, his wife schedule all the dr appointments for Fridays. It's definitely been a huge win-win
It's amazing what you can see when you sit down and break the numbers down. And even if we exceed 40 hrs and pay overtime in 4 days - we're still saving money.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

so in switching to the 4 day work week does you crew automatically assume if it rains on a Weds that they'll be making the time up on Friday?
Old 12-08-2013, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Air brakes is not an endorsement, it is a restriction.
MCLP #1535
Old 12-08-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmmm. Thought I already said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonV View Post
so in switching to the 4 day work week does you crew automatically assume if it rains on a Weds that they'll be making the time up on Friday?
That will be the rule. It gives us a buffer to stay on schedule and also a day to perform if we really need to do a 5 day week. Reduce to 4, hire more crews and run things not so wide open. It will allow all of us, crews and office, to relax a little.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, just finished up the whole thread..... What a ride! What an education! I have been in the industry for over 15 years but I just started my own company this past year. Reading your thread has been really beneficial for me and quite frankly, any aspiring business owner out there who is not reading your thread, Jarod's thread, Pro's thread, is blowing it. I just have to say that seeing how you have adapted, persevered, and grown is truly inspirational.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well thank you Armsden&Son. We've had our ups and downs and certainly have our own issues but it's been a fun ride and we're making it happen.

At the moment we're working on our processes in the office to better ourselves for next year, identifying other issues w/ corrections and working on equipment. Now if it would just warm up a little between snow storms so our guys can get some hours......

The fun stuff: International went in for paint, SNG is shipping in a week, plow/spreader arrive this week and we should have it on the road by the 2nd week of January (closed between the holidays). Also picking up two more box trucks and assembling them. Get your tax deductions while you can!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's blue now, hoist is here and about to get mounted + plow, boxes, fenders, logo etc......
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2014, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I sent you a pm sir
Old 01-19-2014, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Smile

I taught Mr. Todd everything he knows....... He's a special guy!
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."