Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-02-2013, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Prednisone. Go see a doctor. This stuff will get rid of it in a few days. Well worth it.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Member

As the above comments have mentioned, cold water closes pores and hot water opens pores. Use hot water to drain it out once infected and scrub like crazy. It will hurt but I've used this method to get rid of it completely in 2 - 3 showers. You will feel and smell the oil drip from your skin. It is really sticky so either get some really strong soap or tecnu to wash it down the drain.

When it is on your skin was off with cold water within 30 minutes of contact and you will be fine. I am fairly allergic and I've pulled poison ivy up by hand on occasion using this technique with barely a trace of irritation. It was not even noticeable. Again, either use something strong like dish washing soap that cuts grease or tecnu.

The best method that I've found for pulling poison ivy is the above technique plus using two contractors bags flipped inside out to pull it out, over a period no greater than 20-ish minutes. Be sure to wash your eyes and upper arms as well because when the roots or leaves break - which they undoubtedly will while pulling - the irritant will drift to other parts of your skin and these I have found these parts of the body to be the most vulnerable.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro View Post
Prednisone. Go see a doctor. This stuff will get rid of it in a few days. Well worth it.
This is what I do. However I do like the recommendation to burn your clothes, truck, couch and cut the affected limbs clean off. probably would work as well but a doctor and a shot does wonders.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Melaleuca oil (tea tree oil)
Manuka honey
Old 12-03-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

another vote for zanfel, if you get it early enough you can remove it, if not it provides temp. relief,

if its starts popping up in random spots on your body then likely its getting bad and gone through your blood stream---time for steroids

I get the stuff just by looking at it lol
Old 12-04-2013, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you can purchase poison ivy extract the oil that is and ingest it to build up an imunity to it but this needs to be done early in the spring...i get it bad but havent tried this method yet...you can search about it online

2013 Dodge Quad cab w/hemi
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Extened Cab
Toro ZMaster 400series
MTD PRO 48"
Kaufman 5x10 w/sides
Landscapers Trailer 12x6.5 w/side gate
Echo PAS multi tool
Various other Echo hand helds
Little Giant HPV Vac
Troy Bilt Horse RotoTiller
Honda Mini Cultivator
JD 170
Toro 21"
Old 12-05-2013, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

To the people who say that they are immune to poison ivy, be careful. I always was, up until a few years ago. I could rip it up with my bear hands, walk through a giant patch of it in a pair of flip-flops. When ever we had a site with poison ivy to clear I would go in a few days before the guys and clear out the ivy, then they would come in to do the rest of the work. I never once cought it. Then about two years ago I got it bad. We have no clue what was different that time that caused me to get it. Now I'm 10x more likely to get it than my other guys.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenI.A. View Post
To the people who say that they are immune to poison ivy, be careful. I always was, up until a few years ago. I could rip it up with my bear hands, walk through a giant patch of it in a pair of flip-flops. When ever we had a site with poison ivy to clear I would go in a few days before the guys and clear out the ivy, then they would come in to do the rest of the work. I never once cought it. Then about two years ago I got it bad. We have no clue what was different that time that caused me to get it. Now I'm 10x more likely to get it than my other guys.
Same with me, doctor said over the years that I had just build up more than my natural immunity could resist. I'm not hyper sensitive now but I certainly can't rip it out with bare hands anymore.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

prednisone steroid, or a cortozone shot. nothing else has worked for me...not bleach, gasoline, taking a layer of skin off....nothing. its something we have to deal with in this industry....if its tooo much. then your in the wrong industry.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is a vaccine now for poison ivy. You can call Anderson Compounding Pharmacy in Bristol Tennessee for information on it. I have been taking it for years. You do need a script for it. It's only like $20. It's changed my life. I use to be covered in it every year. This stuff really works. I can't remember the name of it. You have to take it orally. Three doses once a week and you have to take it in January and February. Don't question it. It works. I'm sure any compounding pharmacy could make it. It is a life changer I can assure you.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind

Tags
poison ivy