Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-09-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
yah, that's sweet we run my buddies boat out in long island sound, it can get pretty rough 2-8' rollers and those will make a 38' boat feel like a jetski and its almost too small, he tends to break an outdrive every poker run he does with the boat. I pay to have my clothes washed because I'm never home to switch them from washer to the dryer, and if i'm not home which i'm usually not, they get put on top of the washer or dry wet, then they have to be washed again. its annoying, so i just drop them off and they get washed, dryed and folded everytime much less then a lot of people spend per day buying cigarettes or coffee every morning. I don't smoke cigarette's or cigars or drink coffee never have, and i don't see any reason i will.
A Lot different water up there than here.. We spend most of our time on rivers and back in swamps like you see on tv. Ive never been in to much big water except a couple times deep sea fishing. I'd like to get a center console one day to ride thru the locks all the way to charleston.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2013, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Old 12-13-2013, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Looking good man! Is there anything you really like or dislike about your new truck? Or something you like about your 7.3 over the 6.4?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Man I love your new truck.....

No plow setup for it yet?

- Shindaiwa T242
- STIHL MS290 FarmBoss
- Echo PB500T

Starting 2014 - Solo Operation!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Trucks look great, are you getting a plow for it?
Wright Stander
Exmark zero turns
Fisher And Western Plows
Old 12-13-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.T. View Post
Looking good man! Is there anything you really like or dislike about your new truck? Or something you like about your 7.3 over the 6.4?
Posted via Mobile Device
thanks, no complaints about the new truck, drives like a car, stops like a car, but its a truck and i can tow my dump trailer loaded with wet leaves easily bone stock. once it has a tune in it, the power will be bumped up to about 525rwhp and the stock transmission takes that all day long even towing no issues. the only thing i like about 7.3 is it has been very reliable and its cheap to fix even paying someone to fix it, I still only spend 2-300 each time. the ford is under warranty still and will be for another year since i'm extending it before it runs out so i won't have to pay for repairs if anything comes up, but i've done a lot of reading about 6.4's and there are a lot of them with 120,160,200k on them that have done nothing but oil changes and fuel filters and a few 08's needed radiators put in and some of the 08-10's needed belt tensioners and new serpentine belts including mine, but they are almost always done under warranty. the sooner dpf and cat come off and an tune goes in it the better off the truck is, and they even get upwards of 14-24mpg hand calculated depending on driving habits, tire size, gearing, and if your running all highway or around town, or towing or not. that's at 525whp or more even. some only get 9-10mpg with a tune but that's usually because of driving habits like excessive acceleration. currently I have gotten 10.9-12.5 mpg in the 11 days i have owned the truck and gone 800 miles. generally i go 60-80 miles a day. I slow down a lot in january and february. and I am going to pick up my dpf delete and off road tuner tomorrow, plow is all set with fresh fluid and ready to push whatever snow we get tomorrow and sunday! The only thing i dislike about the older truck is the cab is small, and the seat is worn out, so I think a new seat is in order for this spring, and i'm gonna have heated seats put in too, maybe change the interior to black and have the seat wrapped in leather. and black carpet put in, and get the door panels dyed black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes Landscaping View Post
Man I love your new truck.....

No plow setup for it yet?
Thanks, I love it too, every morning when i go outside and see it, and hit the unlock button, and turn the key it starts no matter what, its nice and smooth too, not cold blooded like my 7.3. no plow yet, probably not gonna have one on it this winter, there's a chance i will, but its gonna be tough. mount is 5-600, wiring is 1500 i think then a blade is 3k used. It's not in the budget that's for sure. didn't plan on finding a truck i wanted so soon, otherwise i would have not gone on vacation and I could have bought a plow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havenlax18 View Post
Trucks look great, are you getting a plow for it?
yah for sure, its a beast in the snow in 2wd! I talked to a lot of friends who plow with this 6.4 motor the 2008-10 superduty trucks and they cannot say enough good about them. I'm gonna have to wait until funds allow it though.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I actually found a similar one to yours, just the half rear doors, built transmission, less then 100k for 33k.... if my truck was paid off I would jump on that in a heartbeat, actually if my truck was low enough for me to sell period I would jump on it.

- Shindaiwa T242
- STIHL MS290 FarmBoss
- Echo PB500T

Old 12-13-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Im amazed at all the people that didnt grow up with the ideals instilled in me, by my family and most of my friends.
. One idea is: a used car, is just buying someone else's problems. Ive always bought them new and kept them forever, or as long as i could stand it. Im 60 years old. When i was a teenager, a car was ready for the crusher at 100,000 miles
. I have a 1996 3500hd gmc dump truck that i bought new. Now with 100,000 miles on it and a knocking 6.5 turbo diesel, its not worth fixing. I want a new dump truck. The one i like is $60,000. I dont think i could part with $40,000 for a 5,6, or 7 year old truck, even with just 60,000, 80,000, or a nice low 140,000 miles on the odometer.
I always heard it was better to have three GOOD shirts, than a dozen chintzy shirts. Of course...more money doesnt always get better quality. I dont think that $60 boots offer my feet the proper support. I use a house cleaning service, and i pay $80.00 for a haircut.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes Landscaping View Post
I actually found a similar one to yours, just the half rear doors, built transmission, less then 100k for 33k.... if my truck was paid off I would jump on that in a heartbeat, actually if my truck was low enough for me to sell period I would jump on it.
I thought about a getting an extended cab but the back seat is useless for any grown up, it works for small kids but that's about it. when I buy something its usually for long term. I plan on keeping the the truck I bought for 10-15 years unless it's a huge headache and unreliable, but that doesn't describe the 6.4 powerstroke at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyVette View Post
I'm amazed at all the people that didn't grow up with the ideals instilled in me, by my family and most of my friends.
. One idea is: a used car, is just buying someone Else's problems. Ive always bought them new and kept them forever, or as long as i could stand it. I'm 60 years old. When i was a teenager, a car was ready for the crusher at 100,000 miles
. I have a 1996 3500hd gmc dump truck that i bought new. Now with 100,000 miles on it and a knocking 6.5 turbo diesel, its not worth fixing. I want a new dump truck. The one i like is $60,000. I don't think i could part with $40,000 for a 5,6, or 7 year old truck, even with just 60,000, 80,000, or a nice low 140,000 miles on the odometer.
I always heard it was better to have three GOOD shirts, than a dozen chintzy shirts. Of course...more money doeskin always get better quality. I don't think that $60 boots offer my feet the proper support. I use a house cleaning service, and i pay $80.00 for a haircut.
yah me too, I know and work for several millionaires, they generally buy used cars/trucks that are 1-3 years old, and generally the newest body style or one behind the newest, and save a lot of money by getting deals, and not taking the hit on buying a new car or dump truck even though they can easily afford it. I agree I couldn't part with 40,000 for a 5,6 or 7 year old truck, but a 3 year old truck under factory warranty for less then half of the price it was new seemed like a decent deal to me. but generally newer is better quality, and Ford is built to last. lots of landscapers and construction guys are getting 120,000-160,000 out of stock, 2008-10 ford f350 and f250 front ends all with diesels in them, dodge and chevy can't say anything about that, because it is not happening with their trucks
Old 12-14-2013, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I thought about a getting an extended cab but the back seat is useless for any grown up, it works for small kids but that's about it. when I buy something its usually for long term. I plan on keeping the the truck I bought for 10-15 years unless it's a huge headache and unreliable, but that doesn't describe the 6.4 powerstroke at all.
That's a good point...the next truck I get will be planned for the future and long term of having kids in the next 3-5 years.

- Shindaiwa T242
- STIHL MS290 FarmBoss
- Echo PB500T