Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-09-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thinking of a policy change

I'm thinking about no longer purchasing show room floor new equipment with the exception of hand helds.

ZTRs and WB's, purchased used- ideally lightly used.
I purchased a snapper pro earlier this season, cleaned it up and painted one spot, cuts like a dream and is strong as hell.

It's a 36", hydro, floating deck with a velkie. Paid $1,000

For bigger mowers that are used more frequently (36 is only used on a handful of lawns) I will purchase under 600 hours maybe?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

buying used is ok as long as the hours are some what low ,but i buy 1 new piece every year and sell of the older equipment or keep it for back up ..
Old 12-09-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah i understand all that. just saying i may move that direction. is it about bottom line or about having a soft ass ?
Old 12-10-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The reason I won't buy used are as follows:
1- There's no real way to know what your REALLY buying.
2- if you get yourself on a proper buying cycle you'll always have new and backup equipt.
3- Downtime is too costly, less chances of it with newer equipt.
4- I keep meticulous maint records, therefore I KNOW what has been done to my equipt.
5- last but not least "I have new shiny equipt" LOL Just kiddin. I do keep my stuff very clean though.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I worked with used stuff for years. I mean really used. Wore out is more like it. After the Kubota dealer got me for $3000, yeah that's right $3k, and that was on an 8 year old mower with less than a thousand hours on it, I'd had enough. I bought new. I bought two Bad Boys for what one Kubota cost. It has changed my life forever. I have two primary mowers and two backups. I purchase one primary mower each year. They each have a two year warranty. In a nutshell, my two primary mowers will always be under warranty.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 12-10-2013, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Every once in a blue moon a good used deal is there. I got a 28" sears snow blower for $150. The lawn stuff for sale here on Craigslist looks as if it should go straight to the scrap metal dealer.

However as pointed out you buy equipment before your old one dies this way you have a dependable back unit. Do not let the back up sit. Use it 1 to 4 times a month. Never good to let equipment sit for long periods. Then when the old equipment dies your new unit becomes the back up and you buy another new one to be the main unit.

Warranty's are nice to have. I bought my first BR 600 in March 2013. It died last week. Brought to my Deere Dealer at 3:15. He said to bad you did not get it here sooner maybe I could of had it looked at today. I told him it was my only blower could he look at it if it was something simple. So he agreed. Twenty minutes later he said it would need more time. I thanked him for trying and bought another new one. Now I have two of them. The old one's was repaire was done one and a half days later and cover under warranty.

You buy used you do not get free repairs or people try to get you fixed and out the door quickly.

Also as others have said. I know that my machines have been serviced and not abused.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like new stuff. I learned the hard way here that the dealer is more important than the brand. I love our new Toro, but the local dealer is so bad I cannot afford to keep on with it. Next closest Toro dealer is Tipton which is almost an hour drive. There is no lemon law protecting us from bad dealers. I have had a limp handlebar for 300 hours. After 5(yes FIVE) warranty calls I fixed it myself. I had to fight Toro to get them to release the parts to me. Now Toro seems fine and I like the machine, but never again Toro. Not here with this dealer.

The clyde at the dealer set my Kohler to 3200 rpm in the summer, and the mower was only there for a broken belt guide. A 2 minute fix. The Kohler has a sticker on it clear as day states "3750 +,-50 RPM". How did he F that up, and why did I have to make a second trip to have it "fixed" again. I was so pissed that day.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ive bought a little of everything, new, lightly used, heavly used. One thing for sure if you can purchase equiptment when a real good deal comes along is a lot cheaper than buying stuff when you need it.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Ive bought a little of everything, new, lightly used, heavly used. One thing for sure if you can purchase equiptment when a real good deal comes along is a lot cheaper than buying stuff when you need it.
Very true. This time of year you can find stuff cheap too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2013, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I forgot to mention the warranty thing also, that alone has saved me money.