Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-09-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Gas or Diesel Dump??

Im looking to get a dump, I am trying to decide between a diesel or gas job? This will be my landscape truck so will be towing machines here and there. Cant decide if the extra money is worth it for the diesel. Hows towing? How long can I expect either one to last? If anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be great.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Gas cheaper....takes more gas. Diesel more up front cost. Maybe cheaper to run but now with def and all it is more maintenance. If your keeping it for the long haul and not trading every three-ten years go diesel.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for reply..
This truck will probably be a long term truck, I only see adding to the fleet unless I realize I am unhappy with what ever I buy. Now my next question, is new better or a few yrs old? Saving money but in the long run would I save?
Old 12-09-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Get a diesel and get at least an F-450/4500 (16,500 GVWR). New or used is up to you. I prefer new trucks, but I'd buy a gently used one if the deal was good enough and the truck checked out with a trusted mechanic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Definitely go diesel. You'll be very frustrated with gas mileage if you don't.

If I were in the market I'd be looking for a cummins or a an 90's 7.3 ford, and I'm a chevy guy. Be careful with pre-05 duramax.

My 2500 is a 6.0 gasser and pulling my dump trailer it pisses gas. If you're working it on a daily a basis, a 350 or similar size motor is gonna be working hard to say the least. Also with programmers you can pull good gas milage out of a lot of the older diesels. My next truck will surely be diesel.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What size equipment will you be hauling and how far is your average commute, what size truck are you looking for and is your area flat or hilly?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2013, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

if your pulling heavy every day, thats the only way you save money with a diesel. the higher up front cost, fuel cost, and maintenance offsets any fuel savings. i'm contemplating going back to a gas truck, but the one thing a gas truck cant compete with is the pulling power.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I worked for a guy insulating homes he had 8 trucks, 5 were gassers. In the cold months those gassers were always running. We had cords and ether and you name it to get those diesels going and some days they simply would not go. Sure they were old trucks, but the gassers were old too. Also he couldn't do much more than service those diesels. When they broke down, he called someone to come and fix. I had a wastegate line blow off and the truck had no power once. I told him I could here the boost coming out, but nope he hired it out and said it was easier that way to get it fixed.

About the only difference I can remember was the automatics sucked and the manuals could get it done. Had 2 identical topkicks, one auto and one manual, both gassers. We raced the shi! out of those poor old trucks too. Sorry Phil!
Old 12-10-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have completely gotten rid of all diesel trucks, they break down more often and cost more to fix. All of our trucks are now chevy 8.1 gas or ford v-10 gas. Unfortunately chevy is out of the mid sized truck market for now but i hear rumours they are coming back next year.
My job sites are relatively close and the gas trucks do just fine, the best part is they start everyday! I just bought a brand new F650 with a v-10 last spring and love it. I test drove the same truck with a Cummins ($10,000 more) and the gas truck has more power but less torque for towing up hills. And i could care less about resale since i plan to keep it for a long time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2013, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Ford v10 = junk. Also you may as well connect a long hose directly to a gas station pump cause it will kill you on fuel. Diesel is the way to go. I been both ways and will always say diesel for a dump
Posted via Mobile Device