Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-09-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Business phone or Personal phone??

Do you use your personal phone for your business or do you have a separate line? What are some pros and cons of each?

2005 Chevorlet Silverado Z71 4X4
77"x14' Landscape Trailer
2010 Gravely CompactPro 44
2006 Troy Bilt Super Bronco
Stihl FS 130R Trimmer
Stihl FS 85X Trimmer
Stihl FS 55 Trimmer
Echo PE 200 Edger
Husqvaurna 150BT Backpack Blower
22" Craftsman Hedge Clippers
Arctic Cat 300 4X4
Old 12-09-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have a business line just for the customers to call,but We have a CSR also so it's maintained at all times. Once you get to the point that your constantly getting calls for work you'll understand why you want a separate line.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

phone

Use a business phone on ALL business related items. Do you want the world having you're personal number to call at all hours? And DON'T give out you're personal cell phone as a business phone!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

What phone company do you use?

2005 Chevorlet Silverado Z71 4X4
77"x14' Landscape Trailer
2010 Gravely CompactPro 44
2006 Troy Bilt Super Bronco
Stihl FS 130R Trimmer
Stihl FS 85X Trimmer
Stihl FS 55 Trimmer
Echo PE 200 Edger
Husqvaurna 150BT Backpack Blower
22" Craftsman Hedge Clippers
Arctic Cat 300 4X4
Old 12-10-2013, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you have an Android phone or iPhone, check out Google's free Google Voice service/app.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2013, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Never give out your home number.

I use my personal cell as my business phone as well.

I have not had a problem with a customer calling me at crazy hours. We provide personal services and our customers feel better knowing they can reach us with ease.

I have people call me at a bad time. They never got mad from me saying you caught me at a bad time let take your name and number and can I reach you at a later time, how about in an hour, this evening, etc.

I allways get a positive response to delaying our call. They are happy they got a person and not another machine and never get a call back.

And, I know my friends and relative's numbers so I see a strange number I can chose to not answer if there was a need not to pick up.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use a landline, and pay an extra $8 to have it listed as a business with the business name. That is the best money a small startup can spend. You WILL get calls from year one.

After missing a years worth of calls I now have the landline forward to my cell. It doesn't even ring in the house now. That costs like $2 a month or $1.95 or something small. IDK

I also feel having a landline for the wife to call 911 should it ever be needed is a huge pro.

The cons are those annoying calls your business line will receive.

Remember if people can't find you you are dead in the water.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thats pretty much what i do and it works out fine. I figure that later on i will get a seperate phone for personal calls.. but i don't have many friends or family that call anyway. When i go to sleep i leave the phone in the office. I get most of my estimate requests through my website, there is alot of times i get them at 3a.m. I've had people call at 9p.m. or 10p.m. at night and i'd answer and they'd be not expecting that.

I get a good bit of out of state sales call everyday. I figure that goes along with being all over the internet. It gets on my nerves because most days seems to ring frequently with sales calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post

I use my personal cell as my business phone as well.

I have not had a problem with a customer calling me at crazy hours. We provide personal services and our customers feel better knowing they can reach us with ease.

I have people call me at a bad time. They never got mad from me saying you caught me at a bad time let take your name and number and can I reach you at a later time, how about in an hour, this evening, etc.

I allways get a positive response to delaying our call. They are happy they got a person and not another machine and never get a call back.

And, I know my friends and relative's numbers so I see a strange number I can chose to not answer if there was a need not to pick up.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Re: Google Voice, here's a post I wrote here last year...
If you want to avoid a land-line, or just have an additional phone line, check out Google's Voice service (google.com/voice). It's free, extremely powerful, and with the Google Voice app on your smart phone, you can run it completely transparent to your customers. For example, you can see the call coming in to your phone as being from your Google Voice line, and via the app, you can dial out and your customer's caller ID shows your GVoice number. Also, calls can be forwarded to any number of phones you set up. The administration is quite simple and done via a dashboard that looks just like Gmail.

Other great features are transcribed voicemails emailed to you (albeit sometimes amusingly inaccurate) and, my personal favorites:

- the ability to set different outbound messages for different people based on their number (managed like you would an email group, so you could have a specific message that only your customers or suppliers here, etc)
- conference calls
- have calls not ring through to your phone during non-business hours. have only select numbers or call groups ring through at set times.
- call screening, like the good ol' days of listening to your answering machine, and picking up mid-message
- recording of calls
- sms/mms texting
- calls from your computer using Google Talk (Now "Hangouts"), similar to Skype. those are free and don't hit your phone minutes.

You can also pick your phone number, based on availability.

For anyone starting a business, or running one, it's definitely one of the great tools that can save you another monthly bill.

google.com/voice
Old 12-10-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I use my cell phone now for all my calls . this way they have all leaned to text me their needs .hated coming home and listening and returning calls all night .and i can also send pics of things (example shrubs while i am at the garden center ).