Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-09-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Really nice set up ducnut…Glad to see you're starting your own thread…maybe my thread will get a little of its thunder back. Just kidding.

As you already know, I also believe it is always a good business practice to keep everything clean and always present a professional appearance.

Why the two different business cards?
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Trailer thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 12-09-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
You considering moving to the Valrico, FL area? If you are, I don't think you'll regret it, there are lots of nice homes and the Tampa area in general is really nice.
Haha. With you living there and having intimate knowledge of the area, those are all communities. To me, it's just Tampa. But, I was actually thinking the Clearwater area. I used to be in that area, nearly every Monday. I've vacationed in Dunnellon and like it up there, but, there are no jobs/prosperity.

Do you see a spray-foam operation making it, down there?

Quote:
The areas that I mow/target are upscale. I target upper middle class to wealthy neighborhoods in Valrico and Fish Hawk with nice homes/yards; "High End" is my business model, I dress nice to mow, I use nice equipment, a nice truck etc (as do you) and it instantly makes potential clients think of me as not just "a lawn guy" but a professional, it also instantly gives them the impression that I do good work.
Same here. As I've posted elsewhere, I'm invited into people's homes for lunch. I do odd jobs and car detailing for many of them. A hack isn't going to get the same reception. And, I simply don't want to be in bid situations against those guys, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
1ST CLASS FOR SURE! Nice rig and I like your style.
Thank you.

Let's all bring up the industry image and rates, so we can all make a decent living.

'14 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R string trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro snowblower
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100 21" snowblower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 12-09-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
Really nice set up ducnut…Glad to see you're starting your own thread…maybe my thread will get a little of its thunder back. Just kidding.
LOL! You're too much.

Quote:
As you already know, I also believe it is always a good business practice to keep everything clean and always present a professional appearance.
Heck yeah. You wouldn't be in the properties you're in, if you weren't. We don't even have homes like that, here.

Quote:
Why the two different business cards?
If I'm in Springfield, Decatur, or their surrounding communities, having my actual hometown implies I only work in Taylorville (~40 minutes away). People sometimes think that, as I received some feedback to that effect, so I had the generic version printed. This is really important, if you work with realtors in other communities, as their agents many times need property services for a client listing and don't have a partner to turn to.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 12-09-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Really nice setup. I love the color schemes that you chose and the inside of your trailer is top notch. Shirts and uniforms look great also. I started pulling a enclosed trailer this year and I'm trying to decide on whether to get it wrapped or custom paint job. I try to keep my equipment looking good (not as good as some) and I have nice shirts, hoodies and longsleeves shirts for the Fall/Winter and we wear khaki pants while mowing. The professional image has definitely took us to another level in the eyes of our customers. Something else I did, was three years ago, I changed my company name to Maintainz Property Services(Previously Clean-Cut Lawn Care). By doing that, it opened up so many more doors.
2008 Yamaha 350 Grizzly
742 Bobcat
7x16 Enclosed Homesteader Trailer
7x16 Landscape Trailer
7x16 Landscape Trailer double gates
(2) Snappers Pro 52" WB's
2012 Scag Turf Tiger
Whole bunch of weedeaters and blowers, etc.
[B]MainTainZ Property Services
Taking Care of What God Gave Us
Old 12-09-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Haha. With you living there and having intimate knowledge of the area, those are all communities. To me, it's just Tampa. But, I was actually thinking the Clearwater area. I used to be in that area, nearly every Monday. I've vacationed in Dunnellon and like it up there, but, there are no jobs/prosperity.

Same here. As I've posted elsewhere, I'm invited into people's homes for lunch. I do odd jobs and car detailing for many of them. A hack isn't going to get the same reception. And, I simply don't want to be in bid situations against those guys, either.

Thank you.

Let's all bring up the industry image and rates, so we can all make a decent living.
I don't know too much about the spray side of the business but I would think that it would be difficult for a small op to make it, all I see around here is the same three massive companies spraying peoples yards. I don't remember the last time I saw a small operation spray guy in one of my neighborhoods.

I've had clients do the same thing and it's a great feeling. Many of my clients trust me so much that they don't even ask for estimates on landscape jobs etc.. They just say "make it look nice and send me the bill." It's pretty cool.

I agree, I really wish I saw more lawn guys out and about in nice trucks with nice equipment and looking respectable. I make good money on my yards but I can tell you, I would have A LOT more yards already if I wasn't "so expensive" as some people have told me. Too many $20 a cut hack jobs rolling around with a 21in push mower in the trunk of their Toyota Corolla I went on craigslist the other night and searched for lawn services and 98% of what I saw was stuff like "lowest prices in town" "fast and cheap" "lawns cut for as little as $10 per mow." I give it about a 60/40 chance I get a yard when I am called for a estimate, the number one response I get is "well the guy I called before said he would do it for $80 a month." To which I go on to explain that one gets what one pays for. $80 a month yards looked like they've been mowed, my yards look manicured.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainTainZ Property Svcs. View Post
Really nice setup. I love the color schemes that you chose and the inside of your trailer is top notch. Shirts and uniforms look great also.
Thank you.

The color scheme was just the fact I already had a black truck. The rest was the sign guy's doing. Seeing his work, compared to other signmaker work, showed a pinstriper's "flair". He's done numerous fire trucks and used that as an example of what he was thinking, as he described his idea of "pop". He definitely sees things differently.

Quote:
I started pulling a enclosed trailer this year and I'm trying to decide on whether to get it wrapped or custom paint job.
The important thing to remember with a wrap, is to make sure it's not too "busy". I've seen so many where the company logo is lost in the graphic. Paint is huge money; even for just the raw materials.

For sure, an enclosed trailer will pay for itself in advertising. I have people tell me all the time "I've seen your trailer.". Even if they don't utilize or even know me, I know I'm getting exposure.

Quote:
Something else I did, was three years ago, I changed my company name to Maintainz Property Services(Previously Clean-Cut Lawn Care). By doing that, it opened up so many more doors.
Initially, I wanted "Property Services". But, it just didn't roll off the tongue right. I had two, single-syllable words followed by two, two-syllable words. It seemed a bit long. However, I agree with it opening doors and wish I could've done it.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 12-09-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know too much about the spray side of the business but I would think that it would be difficult for a small op to make it, all I see around here is the same three massive companies spraying peoples yards. I don't remember the last time I saw a small operation spray guy in one of my neighborhoods.
Oops! I should've clarified.

I meant spray-foam insulation operation.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 12-09-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hate too say it but my truck has never been that clean, I wear a collar shirt but my pants alaways seem to have holes in them, people laugh at my hats...........but I do make the yards look real good.

How often do you clean that rig, Im guessing a little everyday?
Old 12-10-2013, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
How often do you clean that rig, Im guessing a little everyday?
It just depends. I keep everything waxed, usually monthly (an orbital machine is the key to doing it quickly). For sure, the truck and trailer get washed every week. If I get caught in the rain or something, I'll wash it up before I put stuff away. If things are regularly kept clean, they're easier to stay on top of. I tell my detail clients the same thing; let me keep a regular schedule, it costs them less per service, and they always have a clean vehicle.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado

Last edited by ducnut; 12-10-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
It just depends. I keep everything waxed, usually monthly (an orbital machine is the key to doing it quickly). For sure, the truck and trailer get washed every week. If I get caught in the rain or something, I'll wash it up before I put stuff away. If things are regularly kept clean, they're easier to stay on top of. I tell my detail clients the same thing; let me keep a regular schedule, it costs them less per service, and they always have a clean vehicle.
Do you have a mobile detail business also?

Ive though of doing other stuff but when spring hits I don't have time to think. I have a shop that's fully equipped for automotive repair, 10 years ago I was real busy <part time>. I think of getting it going again but like I say come spring Ive been estremely busy ths last few years,>thankfully>