Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC skier View Post
To 32vid: you obviously are a hard worker and your interest in this forum clearly indicates that you want to be better so as you grow you may be able to sell new and existing customers on the idea that even though the municipality picks up the leaves for free it would be much cheaper for you to vacuum them. Anyone who has bagged leaves for a few years should be pretty easy to convince.
To put a Truckcraft, 8' aluminum dump insert, with their optional leaf box, and a leaf loader, would increase my efficiency.

Though I can not afford to upgrade my leaf removal equipment. And for now that is ok because the equipment that I have now meets the volume of work that I have.

I have said many times here on lawnsite that there is a difference between a need and a want.

I also believe in avoiding debt. Too many businesses have not been able to ride out lean times because they carried debt.

Now if I had the money and needed nothing else for my business I would set myself up with better leaf removal equipment even if I did not need the increase in production capacity.

Just to be able to get the work done faster would make the purchase worth it.

I just point out one way to do leaf removal so new people see how they can get by until they can upgrade their equipment.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2 questions how much is the X3 hurricane blower?
and how much is a small jrco leaf plow (for 36" metro)
thanks!
Old 12-11-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I am not a fan of the JRCO pusher, no matter what the price is. It is made of aluminum and although it's light it is not durable enough. Those things get beat to s**t. The bottom has little tines that break off. By design any pusher has to allow some leaves to pass under but, the jrco which is mounted on a mower is handicapped by the leaves that get caught under the deck. This can be a real pain when you're pushing them into a pile somewhere on site.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
what a kind and useful thread. I underbid a lot of leaf jobs. Usually it looks like a small amount but then at the end there's a huge pile. First full year in business though
How much is that X3 unit? I was warned to stay away from the 314 unit by the dealer because of the Subaru engine.
My 314 has been flawless so far. You never know what kind of maintenance was done on those machines. Some people never check oil etc. We check oil levels, tire pressures, and check for loose fasteners everyday. Buying the 314 was the best business decision I have made equipment wise. I couldn't justify the price of the X3 and that's why I went with the 314 and I couldn't be happier. The only thing I wish I had was the 3 different directions of airflow, but If you set yourself up right, that isn't an issue on any of my jobs.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the picture Casey, that's one heck of hose, might work on some of the yards but would have to be about 75+ feet long, seems like a lot of hose to manhandle, plus a clog would be a biatch. I like the idea though.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
Thanks for the picture Casey, that's one heck of hose, might work on some of the yards but would have to be about 75+ feet long, seems like a lot of hose to manhandle, plus a clog would be a biatch. I like the idea though.
Yea that's too much hose and yes the hose is a pain to load, unload. What I use that one for is deep flower beds with LOTS of boxwoods. Very clean result but it's a back breaker.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what kind of leaf pusher to use other than the jrco
thanks
Old 12-11-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC skier View Post
I am not a fan of the JRCO pusher, no matter what the price is. It is made of aluminum and although it's light it is not durable enough. Those things get beat to s**t. The bottom has little tines that break off. By design any pusher has to allow some leaves to pass under but, the jrco which is mounted on a mower is handicapped by the leaves that get caught under the deck. This can be a real pain when you're pushing them into a pile somewhere on site.
500-1000 pounds a push I move so much volume with these plows its not funny. It required the straps being made of heavier steel and I have a thick rope from the top of the plow back to my hand that I hold onto while I'm sitting on the ztr. It keeps it from buckling and allows it to live up to its potential. As far as the tines go that are not made of aluminum they are either stainless steel or galvanized steel and they hold up well enough iv only replaced 2 sets of teeth in 11 years.

I love the idea of the 3x but I cannot justify its cost It would not improve my productivity enough over my 2 fradan self-propelled 18 hp units.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Agreed. The mount needs to be beefed up a bit but the leaf plow is an excellent piece of equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

how much is the leaf plow and the x3 unit?
thanks