Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Found a truck on CL that looks good!

I found a 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0L with 55000 miles on it. Original Owner!
Comes with a Hiniker snow plow, plow package, towing package, extended cab, oversized tires and rims along with the originals. The guy is asking 9500. Seems like a great deal since my 2001 1500 5.3L Kelly blue books for 8000. Calling the guy tomorrow to get more information. Do you guys have any input on the 6.0? I have heard it is a great engine for power and reliability but seems to like the gas. I would really like to upgrade to a 3/4 truck and plow so this might be the chance.

Thanks
Mike

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I dont know what your mechanical skill is but I would recommend taking a knowledgeable mechanic with you to check it out. I know its saved me a few times. Seems to be a good price. Im not a chevy guy but I do know they hold their value fairly well. Does that year have the HD or just 2500 level?
Old 12-11-2013, 05:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a 2005 model myself. Mine is a little different situation. I will tell you this. The one I just bought has over 250000miles on it and its still strong with no smoke. I would look under it really close to make sure its not eat up from salt. I do hope you purchase and continue to post.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
1995 36" Scag Walk Behind
Old 12-11-2013, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am bringing my dad who is very mechanical and has been plowing snow and dealing with trucks for 40 years. Yes that is my only concern as of now is the brake lines, oil pan, etc. due to rust. My dad f350 pwrstroke just rusted its oil pan out. Will keep you guys updated calling the guy today for more info.

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok heres the kicker. It needs a rear bumper, passenger door handle, he says it idles rough and his mechanic said it is the rear four plug wires. Also abs light is on so it is mostlikely a sensor. The plow needs a solenoid but does work. Apparently it is a very heavy duty plow. It is the 2500HD. Has brand new exaust manifolds and all new brake lines.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

oh and also he said the undercarriage is rusty but strong.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/4224380798.html

I never like to see a plow truck covered with snow and sitting. I like to see it working. Maybe there are more serious issues. Seems like a great price, but I would have a mechanic put it on a lift and verify what items it needs.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Chevy tailgates are known to get rusty at the latches. It's an easy fix, just take it apart, grease it with anti-seize, and re-assemble. It's got some electrical bugs, mainly the gauge cluster. There's a recall up to 75,000 miles I think. Have a dealer run the VIN to see if it's covered. Brake lines are crap, I just replaced all mine from classic tube for like 300 bucks. Came pre-bent and were SS. The 6.0 has plenty of power for a work truck. If you're towing a big trailer at highway speeds, it'll rev real high to keep speeds up, but it'll pull just about anything, just not real fast. Never overheats, never complains. It does fair on gas. Outta get about 10mpg towing a mowing rig around town. The trans is strong as is the T-case. These trucks have good power trains. My 04 has somewhere 110k miles, every one of those miles was a hard mile. I rarely drove this truck unless it was working in some aspect. I plow with it, tow my mowing rig, tow my Kubota, pull firewood logs out of the woods, hauls mulch and stone etc, and used to tow my camper till I got a Cummins for that

They're good trucks, I've fixed a few things on mine as follows:
- Tailgate latch
- Gauge cluster
- ABS sensor
- 2 exhausts
- brake lines
- front wheel bearing $$$
- water pump right at 100k miles it started to leak
- Half-assed a frame rust job. Surface rust only but sanded and re-painted while I had the bed off to do the brake lines.
- Front A arm gussets for running a plow (Plowsite has a sticky for this in the Chevy section)
I think that's it. Nothing huge or major. I think youd be happy with that truck.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Id ask him if he's willing to put it through MD inspection. Some of the issues listed will not pass a legit inspection station in MD. Yes MD is a pain in the butt for inspections but ultimately it benefits the buyer. Looking at the ad I saw he claimed it to value at 12. Im curious as to why hes only asking 9500 unless thats the difference it will take to fix the issues.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's definitely a strong truck. I have an 05 that just hit 100,000. I've done brakes and rotors both wheel bearings and just rebuilt the front end. Plowing will put a beating on the truck but that's what it's made for
Posted via Mobile Device