Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2013, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The phone went crazy today. Could not keep up. Sold 45-49. I think I have only closed 5 in a day once or twice before. Gonna get most done tomorrow, big ice storm coming thurs and fri.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

sold 50,51,52. postcard, web search, referral. did most of one, all of another, tonight, or last night since this is after midnight. booked one for next monday. but the phone was a lot quieter today, no appointments booked tomorrow. gonna button up a client I picked up today tomorrow morning before ice comes at 10. have 3 install jobs booked next monday, and landscape lighting jobs and constructions projects begin next week as well. everyone gets off for the next day or so, then come back in Saturday to start cleaning up ice storm mess. the natives will have torches and pitchforks, guaranteed.

ahead of last year, and last 2 years have gotten another 5-7 after today. but I am happy with sales and client numbers at this point. we can eat steak. the rest of profits from any more sales this year I am going to use to build up inventory of postcards for landscape lighting mailers and Christmas mailers next year, and do more capital investment in my fleet and building.
I always am way more likely to mail postcards if I have them laying around and just have to pay the postage. while I am flush with funds I am going to do the best thing to prepare for the future, buy and improve marketing materials.

I also am going to improve my website a bit, I really have gotten several good jobs this year from website. so I am adding more professionally taken pictures to the viewer and maybe dressing things up a bit and updating info.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am for the first time going to chime in in this one. Though by no means as busy as Dave and hokie, this year has been remarkable to say the least. Probably 20 or so total new, another 20 or so from a so called business that I purchased, and have spent more time dealing with disasters than anything else. Sockets blatantly broken of of cord to extend runs instead of ending run, using a lead either commercial or site made, not silicone closed or sealed in any capacity from the environment, several broken clips from material just being yanked down instead of taken down - this is village lighting stuff so if you don't want to use their spare clips - separate purchase and I think their numbers are way out of whack for quality of product it is necessary to cut down all in ones to make them work, several sockets with shorts from same cause -some with chunks of brick still attached to the bottom of the sockets from hot glue, runs way over loaded with four houses with evidence of fire - one with char marks on the home from blasting staples through the cord and shorting it out, 6' wreaths hung on two wood screws, tap cons not installed correctly or sealed - the list goes on and on.

Happy to ay that the ones I spent the time to repair for this year, no issues with GFCI or breakers at this point and the clients mentioned specifically that it was happening constantly last year.

Many add ons and upgrades this year with my existing clients, again about 20 totally new, some with 2 three and four properties attached to them. One which will become a 12 month service as well, will be installing landscape lighting including numerous wall washers for up and down lighting on a hotel.

I thought last year I hit my absolute max with work, went way beyond where I thought I was capable of being last year. Exhausted doesn't even come close. Finally started my house last night, more of a bulbs change than anything else, but it sort of sucks when you own a business doing this and your house is the last one done, creates a bit of tension at home to say the least. When I got asked the fourth time when it was getting done, and from previous year having made the response of "its not," lol figured it needed to start happening.

This coming year will feature new marketing approach, try to get my hands on some reliable guys and get them trained early to release myself or hire someone specifically for sales. Website needs some doctoring, the spam coming from that daily is just unreal, professional photographer going out to take pictures of my projects this year so I have my own work on mailers, larger bucket truck on the list, really needing a 60' for some of the work I do, IE house I will be finishing up today, instead of rolling the dice on dying yesterday I could have set up, gone up over the top of the garage and lowered myself where I needed to be instead of waiting from one of my sons to come and foot the ladder so it wouldn't fall - Hokie, you wouldn;t believe what I pulled on that one, comment to my son was "this is the dumbest thing I have ever done, but it worked lol. More shelving for the actual warehouse space I moved into this year, it is amazing how quickly you can fill them up. I am thinking the truck(s) may get wrapped, really after that higher impact when they are on projects and moving about, more sweatshirts etc.

Already have prospects in site for next season some projects have already spoken about major expansions including additional locations. This year seemed to be more about connections than anything else. Next year I will also be looking at moving indoors for a few clients as well, have some very well established interior girls I have worked with this year and the conversations have already occurred. They have a reputable client list, so I know their work is very good.

I actually reached out to Christmas Decor in consideration of their franchise package, however, I am more interested in the training than anything else, will wait to see what happens there. I have several questions with regard to the royalties, specifically if they would be looking to lump my existing client list as well, then-its not even an option.

Still 6 or so to do yet, all new clients, playing the weather game now, and waiting for material to arrive. Pulled the trigger on more mini lights as I was running out left and right, the order arrived and three projects cancelled. At least I know I have available stock for summer work and to beginning next season. Worked with some new suppliers this year, so far very happy with them, great numbers, material arriving within 48 hours, material specifically greenery seems outstanding.

Looking back, all in all a good year and productive on all fronts, just way beyond being to much for one guy. Thank God for my oldest son being able to spend his days off with me, and Bryan, just just isnt enough words to thank you for the tips, advice and pointers!
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 12-05-2013, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I ran into a guy here in Austin I didn't know existed. He has 400 clients large and small. He started doing lighting back around 94'. I had seen his signs stuck in the ground at intersections all the time but thought it was just some joker hanging home owner stuff. Interesting guy to talk to.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-05-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The ice storm finally shut us down. was finishing up a big inside project today and by 10 am stuff was freezing everywhere. I had no scheduled appointments today. have 3 more new installs to do that I promised Monday. gonna be -5 actual degrees that day. had a couple promising calls today about folks wanting it up, but when you tell folks you are not sure when it will be installed, pending weather, that scares folks off. don't know how folks up north do it.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I should be over 20. To be honest I'm not sure my number this year. Best year by far, I'm booked and actually turning business away. Sold 4 today to one of the largest builders in the nation. Excited about that. Next year big changes will happen. Need help like crazy and need some help with that. Dave you will be hearing from me for some consulting during the off season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2013, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm glad the freezing rain stayed north of Austin. I use a lot of magnetic C9 clips and was worried about some chain reaction failures. We're in the upper 20's here. I have one job for Monday and hope to get the thumbs up on at least one more.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 12-08-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

53 yesterday. late postcard. good job in gated subdivision. first bid I remember doing in the ice and snow. passed a jeep stuck going up a hill on the way back. roads are fairly impassable since Thursday afternoon with ice. but a good 4wd driver or very careful prius driver can make it . they canceled my church this morning. that has only happened once before. Have another bid this afternoon but it has 4 strikes already- duplex, rental, and wrong neighborhood, plus... and I am not racist, but I also struggle to close 1st generation immigrants. They really seem to value their hard earned income, so are far less likely to make what many consider an unecessary purchase. I have closed some, but I would say I only close 1 or 2 out of 10 when in ideal conditions - very high value home and cars, lead came from postcard or referral, and in neighborhoods where they already have seen our trucks working on several houses. all other things equal, under those conditions I close over 50% of those.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

11 postcard, & 12 neighbor of a totally Griswold yard I do. I've got to get some pictures of this yard. You guys will get a kick out of it.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I thought we were done for the season at 27. Then sold 28 on Monday and installed on Tuesday. I was replacing a couple bulbs at a customer's house Wednesday and a neighbor came over wanting lights. So, sold #29 and installed Thursday. Now, I think we are done with 29 new and 96% retention on existing customers. Very satisfied with this season.