Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-09-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

metsulfuron methyl and quicksilver

Was thinking of trying msm and quicksilver mixed for cool season weeds spot control in centipede and st. agustine grasses. Anyone had any experience mixing the two? I have used manor a few times on broadleaf weeds, spot treating at the high rate with good success. Never used quick silver, but I am contemplating buying some to try. Thanks ahead of time!
Old 12-09-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds912 View Post
Was thinking of trying msm and quicksilver mixed for cool season weeds spot control in centipede and st. agustine grasses. Anyone had any experience mixing the two? I have used manor a few times on broadleaf weeds, spot treating at the high rate with good success. Never used quick silver, but I am contemplating buying some to try. Thanks ahead of time!
Not the best choice for cool season control.

Look at Certanity or Revolver.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I have a sheet from fmc stating .9ml per 1000 sq. ft to any accompanying herbicide. I would have a hard time measuring .9 ml to add. Don't think it will work on a 1gallon per 1000 sq ft spot treatment mix.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

it comes with a measuring device to measure out .9ml its an eye dropper..
Old 12-10-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As .9 ml is difficult to measure...try using an eyedropper and using 1 ml. Use that in 1.1 gal of water (which is 142 ounces). Cover 1100 sqft, of course.
Is that suitable to measure? Any drugstore can supply eyedroppers graduated for small amounts.
Of course, you need a hand sprayer that will accommodate 142 ounces.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 12-10-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-10-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

From what I understand .9 ml is .1 milliliter away from 1 milliliter? I have ordered a small metric measuring tube in 1 ml increments. I guess I will just measure a hair under one, or just add a bit more carrier, as stated above. I went to purchase a bottle JDL and there were no additional measuring devices with the bottle. There was a large measuring apparatus on the bottle. JDL rep said no other measuring device came with the bottle. May be I will call fmc rep. tomorrow and ask about dropper. I want to do some tests, spot treatment, on typical winter weeds affecting turf in north Florida, south Georgia with msm and quicksilver tank mixed. Celsius works ok in winter, but oh so slow. Sometimes not even acquiring total kill of the weed, just really checking them back. I have also found that once Celsius sits for a few days mixed, it really starts to lose its effectiveness.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you are applying this through a fixed output nozzle at a constant pressure, your amount applied might be anywhere from 2-8 gallons per 1000 sq ft covered. I know someone who would burn holes in lawns until he cut his rates of whatever he was applying by half. IOW, if the label said so many g per 1000 sq ft, that would be applied in 2 gallons of water not 1. I know it is possible to cover more than 1000 sq ft with a gallon using a single nozzle. That involves waving the wand while walking forward. No promises made on coverage. I have used that technique for brush in pasture land not accessible to a boom. 7 gallons per acre applied as a single air inducted stream of liquid played side to side letting the drops fall.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 12-11-2013, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

MSM is very dangerous on centipede over 1/2 oz per acre. It is really easy to go over 1/2 oz per acre spot spraying. That rate refers to the actual area covered by that 1/2 oz. A hole can be burnt if 1/2 oz is covering 10,000 or 20,000 instead of a full acre. Quicksilver,on the other hand is pretty forgiving. There are instructions for applying at rates over 2 oz per acre to burn up moss growing in bent grass putting greens. Bent grass at greens height is more delicate than any warm season grass I know of. Applying most lawn herbicides to a bent green will kill it.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 12-11-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I have used msm in spot app. on centipede last year. It was mixed at the high rate with .25% NIS. I used it only on a couple places on semi dormant sod. Did not kill the sod, killed the weeds, severely yellowed a few areas. The customer lives out of town except for 3 weeks out of the year. I can test certain small areas on this centipede lawn. I have used trimec southern w/ and w/o surfactant. With surfactant severely yellowed grass, w/o mediocre control of weeds. I am trying to find a mix that I can spot treat with that will give a high percentage of control to weeds and not severely harm grass. Hand cans seem to be useless because of the calibration aspect. I cant keep consistent pressure. I try to keep it pressurized as much as I can when spraying. I have switched over to a flat fan nozzle which seems to help. I am trying a Eartway s25 push sprayer now. Seems to be as accurate as the operator allows. I may start to use that for spot treatments instead of the hand cans. I hate to spray pesticide where it is not needed as in a blanket app. Most of my yards are getting a high level of nutritional and cultural practices so I have only a few small areas of weeds pop up at different times of the year, winter being the worst. For the last few years the turf has never really entered a dormant stage. It is transitioning all winter with the higher temps we have had. I hate to use atrazine because of our super sandy soil. A few of my yards have azealas and oak trees very close to the turf.It seems to be the best for winter weed control. It really seems to whack the Oak tree seedlings that pop up in the spring.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

To calibrate a hand sprayer. Fill with one gallon of water. Spray concrete at your usual pressure. Measure the sqft of concrete you covered...to get sqft per gallon. Mark the sprayer with that sqft with a permanent marker. Make a mix chart according to this figure.