Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Turning UPB controlled lights on with motion sensor?

I've got a system that is controlled with UPB and the homeowner would like to add a motion sensor to turn the lights on after the programmed time for shut off for security. I don't know of a UPB motion sensor (it would be nice if one existed). Is there any way to do this other than setting up more robust automation than a simple UPB timer?

I thought about have the electrician wire a traditional motion sensor in parallel with the UPB circuits but then I run into phasing issues, which would require a bunch of relays.

I'd like to have an inexpensive way to do this but I don't think it exists.

ABT won't work because I've already got UPB controls and I'm trying to control both line voltage and low voltage lighting with the same motion sensor.

Thanks for the help/suggestions.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
Is there any way to do this other than setting up more robust automation than a simple UPB timer?
A cheap home automation board is likely the only reasonable solution. By the time you work up a less functional and flexible solution with UPB relays you will have exceeded the cost of a cheap automation board.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Bernie,

The current I/O relay control module from Simply Automated is configured to interface with low-voltage incoming power. And there are just not many (if any) low-voltage motion detectors on the market.

SAI says they are working on the release of a new I/O module for 2014 that can be operated with 120v power. At that time, adding a MD to it will get you what you are looking for.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Member

security system hardware usually runs on either 12 or 24 volt, so most motion detectors for security systems should run on 12 volts just fine. I'm not familiar with the equipment mentioned in this thread, but you might look into security system hardware for the low voltage motion detector. Most are typically 12 volt with a contact switch (on most, the contacts open when motion is detected).
Old 12-11-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Atkinson View Post
Bernie,

The current I/O relay control module from Simply Automated is configured to interface with low-voltage incoming power.
Their UMI might do the job using either input 2 or 3 with a low voltage motion sensor, assuming it also provides power to the motion detector which it is not entirely clear in the instructions it does. It is however limited at 2 contact closure type inputs per module. I have a mess of SA products in my house but wasn't aware they had come out with a low voltage IO module. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.