Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
I have a shop and land about 2 miles from our house and it's deffinately nice. Nice to keep buisness and life seperate sometimes. I wouldn't worry about vandelism and theft as much as you do. If you have theft insurance and maybe take some other steps like fences or camera's and locks on things. I haven't had a single problem yet. Having my own shop and yard has alot of benefits and you can grow your buisness fatser with more room to grow and less hassle than cluttering your home up.
The clutter around the house and the full garages are getting a little old. I think the shop/office will be one of my best business moves.
2008 Yamaha 350 Grizzly
742 Bobcat
7x16 Enclosed Homesteader Trailer
7x16 Landscape Trailer
7x16 Landscape Trailer double gates
(2) Snappers Pro 52" WB's
2012 Scag Turf Tiger
Whole bunch of weedeaters and blowers, etc.
[B]MainTainZ Property Services
Taking Care of What God Gave Us
Old 12-10-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KODAKMOWING99 View Post
I don't have an answer, just I've thought of the same thing, don't know how well I could sleep with all my equipment across town or even just down the road, for sure id have an good alarm, cameras, and a chain link fence, maybe even some pit bulls in the lot, haha. I have very little storage at my place, even have to back my trailer all the way down my drive way. I would think a professional office with staff there during the day and even have new customers call that number instead of my cell would be great. I hate missing current customers calls but most always let new customers go to voice mail, sometimes easier to remember names, addresses. good luck with the answer you seek.
I think the office/shop would just take things to another level...
2008 Yamaha 350 Grizzly
742 Bobcat
7x16 Landscape Trailer
2012 Scag Turf Tiger
Old 12-10-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
If your Married it is.
For the last 21 years..
2008 Yamaha 350 Grizzly
742 Bobcat
7x16 Landscape Trailer
2012 Scag Turf Tiger
Old 12-10-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lawn Care View Post
I know a shop is in my future as I have out grown my 2 car garage and room for storage on the side if my house.
Posted via Mobile Device
I hope you're able to find one in the near future..
2008 Yamaha 350 Grizzly
742 Bobcat
7x16 Landscape Trailer
2012 Scag Turf Tiger
Old 12-10-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

We are currently looking for land to build on right now too. The hardest part is finding useable, affordable land to build on, at least where we are located, especially in a high exposure area. Setting up a 5,000+ sq foot shop with a 1,080 sq foot office is the easy part. We decided it makes more sense for us to invest in a shop, rather than throw money away on rent for something a company of our size doesn't fit in anyway. Since there is nothing ideal for sale, the next logical step was to build on a high traffic road. That gives us the option of selling seasonal items to help pay for the shop (i.e. christmas trees, pumpkins, etc). As soon as we find the land, I was planning on making a thread to go though the whole process. The plan is to be in the new shop by spring. So we are scrambling to find land right now.

OP, if you plan on attempting to take your company to the next level, a shop is a great option. Just make sure its within your means. For security, there are plenty of options. One of our good friends has a technology business and is going to hook up our shop/office with security cams and system, just to be safe. As others have said, security won't be as big a problem as you think, but we are going to take proactive steps from the beginning, since we're building from scratch. Good luck to you!
Old 12-10-2013, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockmanLawnscape View Post
We are currently looking for land to build on right now too. The hardest part is finding useable, affordable land to build on, at least where we are located, especially in a high exposure area. Setting up a 5,000+ sq foot shop with a 1,080 sq foot office is the easy part. We decided it makes more sense for us to invest in a shop, rather than throw money away on rent for something a company of our size doesn't fit in anyway. Since there is nothing ideal for sale, the next logical step was to build on a high traffic road. That gives us the option of selling seasonal items to help pay for the shop (i.e. christmas trees, pumpkins, etc). As soon as we find the land, I was planning on making a thread to go though the whole process. The plan is to be in the new shop by spring. So we are scrambling to find land right now.

OP, if you plan on attempting to take your company to the next level, a shop is a great option. Just make sure its within your means. For security, there are plenty of options. One of our good friends has a technology business and is going to hook up our shop/office with security cams and system, just to be safe. As others have said, security won't be as big a problem as you think, but we are going to take proactive steps from the beginning, since we're building from scratch. Good luck to you!
Sounds awesome, please do that
Old 12-11-2013, 05:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainTainZ Property Svcs. View Post
The clutter around the house and the full garages are getting a little old. I think the shop/office will be one of my best business moves.
I constantly caught grief from my wife about having the frame for a powered bagger and the spare tire for my trailer laying around. I can't imagine having more.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We have been looking for years for the right building or piece of land. It's almost impossible to find here. Available building are located on the opposite side of town and in sketchy areas. Ideal locations are valued twice what I can afford.

I currently run out if my home office and a rented storage wars type locker. It works and it's cheap but with equipment and a few pallets of fertilizer there is little room for rainy day maintenance.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been in business since 2007 and have always worked at home. The first three years I was even outside. I can remember at the beginning of the season before mowing started looking at the weather and going outside to get mowers ready on days it was 45 degrees or more for a high. I now have four trucks and four mowers and its getting a little crowded. I have a detached one car garage that I work out of. When needed mowers will fit in basement (I have barn doors). I can't get my trucks in garage even if its empty. We are looking for a home with a metal building on it with a high bay door so I can pull the NPR directly in shop daily. My brother is a plumber and has had his shop in town for years and loves it. I live out in the country and love being able to go work out in the shop this time of year for a few hours and then come back in.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
1995 36" Scag Walk Behind
Old 12-11-2013, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We purchased a building six years ago now. Nothing fancy but certainly enough room if we keep it organized which is a challenge for sure. It's about a mile from my home in a fairly secure area.
Even still we have cameras rolling and everything gets locked tight when we are not here.
I personally enjoy having my shop because it gets me away from home to work on equipment etc.
I still have my office at the house though. I think the atmosphere at my shop would not lead to longevity of office equipment if you know what I mean with all the dirt and dust we create.
Also I like having the office at home because I can wonder down my stairs at anytime to poke at my computer for billing, number comparisons etc.
Overall I would say it was a great move for us.
Renting compared to buying is a good question for your accountant as far as tax ramifications and money savings. We bought ours but I have plenty of buddies who rent and are happy to do so.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
lawn care , office , storage , theft , work shop