Register free!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2013, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
Totally agree with everything you just said!

I would say that there are many advantages to being bigger though.

We will blow through the 3000 mark this next spring and I can tell you that our business model has not changed. We operate just as we did with 250 accts. Quality of product and service is what we know and do. As we add guys we train on that and not production numbers. We don't charge a premium but we get paid well to do what we are best at.

Here is what I love about a larger business:

1) I am only 37 but I am hardly involved in the day to day operation I can't tell you how nice it is to have an awesome team and very little stress.

2) I am building a very nice business that although isn't for sale is worth a lot

3) If I get hurt or even die the business will never know I am gone

4) Buying volume is HUGE!!!!!!! And I mean HUGE!!!!!

rcreech

I am not a stranger to big landscape companies. I believe your business runs itself. I am glad for you but, NOT EVERY BIG BUSINESS OWNER CAN SAY THEIR BUSINESS RUNS ITSELF. MOST SWEAT BULLETS DAILY. Cash flow seem to be the biggest sweat. Just because you show a big profit on the book, doesn't means you have money in the bank. Of course if you have a farm with a huge line of credit, Cash Flow isn't a problem.

My point about staying small is still the better method for MOST people. As a one man band costs and over head are very small leaving a huge profit margin. As you grow and add each employee your overhead grows by Geometric proportion. As a business owner your income drops with each new hire. However there does come a point when more employee start to make the owner as much or more money than a one man band. I guess my question is WHY HASSLE THE HEART ATTACK of growing a business that big. I make a nice 5 figure income working part time. I work on making my business better not bigger.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.