Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-16-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Discount on citation building

Whitespark is offering 10% off their excellent citation building services.

http://www.whitespark.ca/blog/post/2...liday-discount
Old 12-20-2013, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone here used a citation service and, if so, have you found any value in it? Structured citations are a pretty standard practice, especially when attempting to build backlinks (even if they are "nofollow" backlinks). So it is pretty standard to have these with local business directory services like the online yellow pages, Manta, Yelp, CitySearch, etc. However, I'm curious if anyone has engaged anyone to provide unstructured citations in blogs and other areas and, if so, the benefits they saw from it.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I could be wrong- but I think that most citation services get you structured citations. And the point is not the links (just a byproduct) but the consistent NAP across as many sites as possible. They can also help you choose the proper categories. I am sure there could be some small organic boost- but the point is to increase your local/maps visibilty.

I built a couple hundred citations myself last winter. I currently have a service, not the one above, building 100 more for me. There are a large number that are hard to claim or submit without Yext or someone who knows where the back door is.

I will report back when I am done with the service for any who are interested.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2014, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just a followup on the citation service. I used NGS Marketing's service. I like how detailed and personalized it is. MUCH better value than Yext. You can see them here: http://www.ngsmarketing.com/

I purchased 100 citations. You fill out a simple form, provide them some info and pics- they take it from there. After reviewing my citation profile they decided that building more citations was a waste of my budget. Instead, they claimed and fleshed out some I had been unable to claim and deleted a bunch of duplicate listings (most had our name as "Northwest" instead of "NW"). A total of 53 listings were effected. They refunded some of my initial payment.

I was totally happy. They gave a very detailed report so that I knew exactly what I had gotten. I highly recommend their service to any of you who are looking for better visibility in the local search results.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The fine folk(s) at NGS are great. Nyagoslav put together a great, DIY citation-building guide that I highly recommend. $30 and well worth it.

http://www.ngsmarketing.com/citation-building-guide/
Old 01-08-2014, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Guys,

Check out Britelocal. They are great, 100 Citations is $300 Through them
Old 01-19-2014, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
Just a followup on the citation service. I used NGS Marketing's service. I like how detailed and personalized it is. MUCH better value than Yext. You can see them here: http://www.ngsmarketing.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
The fine folk(s) at NGS are great. Nyagoslav put together a great, DIY citation-building guide that I highly recommend. $30 and well worth it.

http://www.ngsmarketing.com/citation-building-guide/
It looks like Nyagoslav (NGS) merged with Whitespark a few days after you guys posted that.

Yesterday I started doing manual citation building, but quickly found it too tedious for me. After setting up four, the next on my list was MapQuest - which I found is affiliated with Yext and their fee based 'power listings'.

Next up was Yahoo Local. I filled out all their forms only to find they're using the Yext model and also want a monthly fee. I'm not going to bite, but now that they've got my email address I'm expecting a slurry of spam.

Reading Nyagoslav's recent blog post about this here, it seems Local.com and Whitepages are tied to Yext as well.

Well, I don't have the patience to wade through all this BS, so now I'm looking for a company to do my listings for me. I think I'll go with Whitespark's local/niche citations @ $5 per. . . . 20 or 30 should do the trick, don't you think?

On second thought, I just read this thread and it confirms Tony's positive review of Nyagoslav's DIY Guide.

So, now I'm back to step 1 - do it myself or pay Whitespark...
Old 01-20-2014, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post

So, now I'm back to step 1 - do it myself or pay Whitespark...
If you DIY, just get a couple lists that show which ones you can claim and edit without Yext. That way you don't waste too much time.

Depending on the size of your market, it may not take many to move the needle. Try googling the NAP of some of the big guys in town- how many citations do they have?

Knowing how many you need might help you decide if you should tackle it yourself.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Next up was Yahoo Local. I filled out all their forms only to find they're using the Yext model and also want a monthly fee. I'm not going to bite, but now that they've got my email address I'm expecting a slurry of spam.
For anyone building citations for their business, it is highly recommended that you use an email account you don't mind getting trashed with spam. Just create a yourcompany@gmail or whatever@yourdomain email address and use that for the confirmations.

Re: Yahoo Local, like a variety of others, they tend to bury their free listing option. On the Yahoo Local Listings page, you want the lower right option, called Yahoo Local Basic Listing.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
For anyone building citations for their business, it is highly recommended that you use an email account you don't mind getting trashed with spam. Just create a yourcompany@gmail or whatever@yourdomain email address and use that for the confirmations.

Re: Yahoo Local, like a variety of others, they tend to bury their free listing option. On the Yahoo Local Listings page, you want the lower right option, called Yahoo Local Basic Listing.
I don't mind email spam nearly as much as phone calls. "Good afternoon sir, may I speak to the owner of xxxxx?"

I created 6 listings on Monday - Hotfrog, Yellowpages.com, Yelp, Local.com, Manta and eLocal.

Google+ Local, Bing Business and Yahoo Local are all pending - awaiting postcard verification.

In a normal week I'll get 2 or 3 SEO telemarketing calls. Yesterday - one day after creating those 6 listings - SEO telemarketers called me 4 times and today I got 5 more. Aarrgh!