Register free!

Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
Totally agree with everything you just said!

I would say that there are many advantages to being bigger though.

We will blow through the 3000 mark this next spring and I can tell you that our business model has not changed. We operate just as we did with 250 accts. Quality of product and service is what we know and do. As we add guys we train on that and not production numbers. We don't charge a premium but we get paid well to do what we are best at.

Here is what I love about a larger business:

1) I am only 37 but I am hardly involved in the day to day operation I can't tell you how nice it is to have an awesome team and very little stress.

2) I am building a very nice business that although isn't for sale is worth a lot

3) If I get hurt or even die the business will never know I am gone

4) Buying volume is HUGE!!!!!!! And I mean HUGE!!!!!

rcreech

I am not a stranger to big landscape companies. I believe your business runs itself. I am glad for you but, NOT EVERY BIG BUSINESS OWNER CAN SAY THEIR BUSINESS RUNS ITSELF. MOST SWEAT BULLETS DAILY. Cash flow seem to be the biggest sweat. Just because you show a big profit on the book, doesn't means you have money in the bank. Of course if you have a farm with a huge line of credit, Cash Flow isn't a problem.

My point about staying small is still the better method for MOST people. As a one man band costs and over head are very small leaving a huge profit margin. As you grow and add each employee your overhead grows by Geometric proportion. As a business owner your income drops with each new hire. However there does come a point when more employee start to make the owner as much or more money than a one man band. I guess my question is WHY HASSLE THE HEART ATTACK of growing a business that big. I make a nice 5 figure income working part time. I work on making my business better not bigger.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-16-2013, 08:42 PM
rcreech's Avatar
rcreech rcreech is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: OHIO
Posts: 5,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
rcreech

I am not a stranger to big landscape companies. I believe your business runs itself. I am glad for you but, NOT EVERY BIG BUSINESS OWNER CAN SAY THEIR BUSINESS RUNS ITSELF. MOST SWEAT BULLETS DAILY. Cash flow seem to be the biggest sweat. Just because you show a big profit on the book, doesn't means you have money in the bank. Of course if you have a farm with a huge line of credit, Cash Flow isn't a problem.

My point about staying small is still the better method for MOST people. As a one man band costs and over head are very small leaving a huge profit margin. As you grow and add each employee your overhead grows by Geometric proportion. As a business owner your income drops with each new hire. However there does come a point when more employee start to make the owner as much or more money than a one man band. I guess my question is WHY HASSLE THE HEART ATTACK of growing a business that big. I make a nice 5 figure income working part time. I work on making my business better not bigger.
Where there is risk...there is reward!!!!



Again I agree with you but:
Just for round numbers would u rather work your butt off for $100,000 a yr or have 10 employees, not work ur butt off and have a valuable business and make $100,000 a yr?
Although these are not real numbers u see where I am going.

If u are a one man band and get hurt u r done. If u have a larger business u can get hurt and not miss a beat. That's all I am saying.

That's not what this topic is about but I am ALL about my business working for me and not me working for my business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-16-2013, 10:16 PM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 8,032
I can see pro's and con's of both big and small....
However I cannot see myself not doing some sort of production for a good long time. You end up putting on a fat gut and getting out of shape, and lose a little touch with what is going on in the field. Just my op.
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-17-2013, 12:01 AM
rcreech's Avatar
rcreech rcreech is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: OHIO
Posts: 5,715
Does the owner if any "big company" work n the field?


No....they plan, they sell and they do things to grow the business.

Just say n



I am not say n it's for everyone. If u want to be a slave to your business hats off to ya. Or u can grow a business and let it work for u And still work for it. Point is if ur a one man band u may get screwed due to injury or sickness. It's looking out for u and your customers.

If I die I want to think that my business could go on and support my family.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-17-2013, 12:48 AM
Service 1st Lawn Care Service 1st Lawn Care is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I can see pro's and con's of both big and small....
However I cannot see myself not doing some sort of production for a good long time. You end up putting on a fat gut and getting out of shape, and lose a little touch with what is going on in the field. Just my op.
I'm friends with a guy who owns a very large Lawn care company in our area. He has not done any production for many years, and he is very skinny. I'm guessing it's because he works out at the gym and eats right. (Just saying not doing production doesn't necessarily make you fat).
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-17-2013, 07:53 AM
georgialawn88 georgialawn88 is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: atlanta georgia
Posts: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I can see pro's and con's of both big and small....
However I cannot see myself not doing some sort of production for a good long time. You end up putting on a fat gut and getting out of shape, and lose a little touch with what is going on in the field. Just my op.
no offense but i don't agree with that. You have more time to work out and eat healthier and not make a quick stop at mcdonalds while in the field. I understand your point but not doing labor in your business doesn't mean you're gonna be fat
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-17-2013, 09:48 AM
greenskeeper44 greenskeeper44 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: louisville, ky
Posts: 289
there's no right or wrong way...big or small....it just depends on the needs and comforts with the owner......I would prefer to be bigger and have the business work for me.....otherwise you just own a "job" and are subject to risk with injury or sickness...as far as price increases we are going to raise ours 5%....... materials are down but health insurance and taxes have gone up significantly the past couple of years along with other expenses.....I feel the increase in price is so little i doubt we will hear much grumblings....
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-17-2013, 01:24 PM
inzane's Avatar
inzane inzane is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SouthEast
Posts: 1,724
thats what they make treadmills for. During these slow rainy months i spend some time on that daily when i don't have work to do.. I don't want to get to out of shape during the winter time. lol. I expect to be solo for a long time.. gotta take care of myself as best i can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I can see pro's and con's of both big and small....
However I cannot see myself not doing some sort of production for a good long time. You end up putting on a fat gut and getting out of shape, and lose a little touch with what is going on in the field. Just my op.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-17-2013, 02:51 PM
lawn king's Avatar
lawn king lawn king is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: abington massachusetts
Posts: 2,127
I cant imagine a client griping about 5% if they are happy with the lawn and the overall service. I had a 5% increase in 2009 and another 5% this year. I have no plans on increasing rates for lawn programs any time soon, however, i did raise snowplowing rates this month and i may very well increase tractor service rates come spring?
__________________
When i find myself in times of trouble, mother mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom let it be.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-17-2013, 10:42 PM
americanlawn's Avatar
americanlawn americanlawn is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: midwest
Posts: 5,676
Just tossing something. LCO's like my long time friend RC and I don't always see to eye all the time. But I consider him a very valuable asset. He's a farmer just like me, so we have a lot in common.

Big company or small company does not matter. 50 customers or 5000 customers does not matter. Kinda wondering why anybody would have a problem with this??? Especially when all these websites advertise how to grow your business.

make sense?
__________________
Proud subscriber of TURF Magazine. (thanks Ron)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:04 PM.

Page generated in 0.07935 seconds with 9 queries