Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

How Official are the Hours on the mower clock

Hi Y'all, I sit here and wonder. Just how official are the hours on a mower clock.

Being a very new Cheetah owner (I took delivery five days ago), Love the mower.

When the mower was delivered at 9AM last Monday, my property was dry (lots of rain lately), so I cut the yard. Because it was the very first time, I noted the time I started (12:10 PM), I cut as fast as I could: 1) to see how fast I could cut my yard 3'5 acres. and 2) to see just how good the cut would be.

I finished at exactly 2PM. I cut my yard in 1 hour and 50 minutes. Surprise..surprise... it usually took over 4 hours. WOW was I happy.

SO, I cut the grass again today. With all the rain we have been having, the grass is growing fast. I failed to notice the time I started cutting. Then I thought.... The hour clock on the unit should tell me how long it took to cut grass. After all. the unit came with zero hours on the clock upon delivery.

So, when I finished cutting I noticed the hours on the clock read "2.7" hours. Well that can't be right. I should have 1 hour and 50 minutes from the first cut. The second cut (today's cut) was conducted slower than the first, so I feel sure it took at least 2 hours plus.

SO..... I'm wondering "how accurate are these hour clocks suppose to be"...??? I feel I have a full hour missing.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How Official are the Hours on the mower clock

1/10 is = to 6 minutes.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Their accurate as hell but I never seen a bran new commercial mower with zero hrs. On them they run them at the factory and at the dealer.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBoud View Post
Hi Y'all, I sit here and wonder. Just how official are the hours on a mower clock.

Being a very new Cheetah owner (I took delivery five days ago), Love the mower.

When the mower was delivered at 9AM last Monday, my property was dry (lots of rain lately), so I cut the yard. Because it was the very first time, I noted the time I started (12:10 PM), I cut as fast as I could: 1) to see how fast I could cut my yard 3'5 acres. and 2) to see just how good the cut would be.

I finished at exactly 2PM. I cut my yard in 1 hour and 50 minutes. Surprise..surprise... it usually took over 4 hours. WOW was I happy.

SO, I cut the grass again today. With all the rain we have been having, the grass is growing fast. I failed to notice the time I started cutting. Then I thought.... The hour clock on the unit should tell me how long it took to cut grass. After all. the unit came with zero hours on the clock upon delivery.

So, when I finished cutting I noticed the hours on the clock read "2.7" hours. Well that can't be right. I should have 1 hour and 50 minutes from the first cut. The second cut (today's cut) was conducted slower than the first, so I feel sure it took at least 2 hours plus.

SO..... I'm wondering "how accurate are these hour clocks suppose to be"...??? I feel I have a full hour missing.
If you can easily reach the wire going to the head of your spark plug, then get the Tiny Tach tachometer/hour meter and you won't be guessing anymore about how accurate the meter is. This is what I bought after taking delivery of my Hustler.

http://tinytach.com/
Old 07-14-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I added a Sendec hour meter to my walk behind and checked it against the clock. It was accurate when I tested it.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The old hour meters ran off a cable usually driven off the camshaft. They had more to do with how hard the engine was working not how long the key was on.

I think all the new meters run when the key is on, unless its one of those add ons.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Close enough not to worry about it. 0 hours at time of delivery is hard to believe.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Wilsonboud, Great purchase on the Cheetah, which engine did you choose and why?
Old 12-16-2013, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nago In NJ View Post
Wilsonboud, Great purchase on the Cheetah, which engine did you choose and why?
I cut under four acres for the last twenty years. My property is very wet after a rain. Twenty years of crawfish chimneys has left my yard like a sponge after a rain.

(Crawfish chimneys leave a hole in the ground about an inch wide and up to eight inches deep. In twenty years, there will have been several thousand in the yard.)

So in the cutting season, it's not unusual to be forced to wait four or five days after a good rain, before I'm able to cut (I don't cut wet ... period). Then if rains again before I get to cut, my grass may be "very long" before I get the opportunity to cut. (get the picture).

I chose the Scag Cheetah (61" - Kawasaki 31hp), because I experienced some long waits in the past, for dry conditions to cut my grass. Before the ZTR, I cut with a JD345 (48") and a 60" groomer on a Kubota tractor. Although the cut was great, it was very slow. Over four hours for a total cut.

The Cheetah cuts the entire property in 1.7 hours no matter how long the grass gets.

Know this..... I went with the Kawasak 31 hp based on grass cuts of the past.... but, after experiencing the 31hp fuel usage, I question if I might have gotten better fuel results and the same quality cut with a next smaller Kawasaki engine.

Although the Cheetah has two tanks of 15 gallons, I only use the right tank (7.5 gallons). I barely get three cuts on the tank which means the 31hp gets right at 1.7 gallons per hour. Over two gallons per cut.

But, I'm still ahead because the JD345 used right at 2.3 gallon per cut and the Kubota used 1.5 gallons of diesel. That totaled almost 4 gallons of fuel at every cut. Plus it took over 4 hours to complete a cut.....

I hope this helps you in some small way.....

Last edited by WilsonBoud; 12-16-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBoud View Post
I cut under four acres for the last twenty years. My property is very wet after a rain. Twenty years of crawfish chimneys has left my yard like a sponge after a rain.

(Crawfish chimneys leave a hole in the ground about an inch wide and up to eight inches deep. In twenty years, there will have been several thousand in the yard.)
Sounds like you need to build a few dikes and start trapping crawfish instead of waiting for the lawn to dry out.