Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2013, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gooseneck trailer opinions, tri-axle, or not?

Well have read a lot on the forums about the pros and cons of a dump truck vs a dump trailer, obviously they have both their places. But for me, I have decided to go with a dump trailer.

Would have to pay over 15k-20k for a "considerably in shape" dump truck to add to my company + all my licenses and permits to be able to drive one, insurance, tags etc.

I will be using my 2009 Dodge Ram 6.7L 3500 dually to haul, I want to buy a goose neck dump trailer for less wear and tear on the truck. I use to rent small 6X12 dump trailer that I would always overload to the max every single time, they are just to small. I want something bigger, but without pushing my truck to much, or the trailer.

Obviously it is very hard to find a used trailer, most people don't sell them as you already know. I want to buy a over killed-heavy duty trailer that I know every time I fill it up it barely puts stress on the metal frame of the trailer.

I am looking at these two;

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Griffin+T...howcpo=ShowCPO

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Griffin+T...howcpo=ShowCPO

One is a 7 ton, other is a 10 ton, would 10 ton be to much for a 3500 dually truck? I have been told to stay away from Tr-axles since the turn radios is awful and i will use my tires way to fast. I have seen 10k dump trailers with 2 axles (dually) so 8 wheels, which seems more stable, trailer has 10k pounds axles, which I still think is not over killed enough for me.

So question is, stay away from tri axles or not? Max dump trailer I can haul with a 3500 without breaking it? What good companies out there, Canada or maybe USA (if they are cheaper, and I won't pay to much in gas/borders to bring it in Canada) are good, over killed heavy duty dump trailers?

My current driver's license, I am able to have a total outfit of my truck 3500 + trailer of no more than 24250 pounds. So I believe a 10k dump trailer I would need to take courses for a new class, I am not sure the weight of my 3500 dodge ram, but I'm guessing between 6,000-10,000 pounds.

Thanks!
Complete lawn care services
Old 12-17-2013, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok so I got details from the manufactured about my truck:

Weight of truck: 7351 pounds
-Payload = 4850 pounds
-Max trailer towing: 16,500 pounds
-Max GCWR: 24,000 pounds

I think they have put the GCWR of 24,000 on purpose to avoid people having to get a new license to exceed that weight of towing, and I am pretty sure my truck can haul more then 16,500 pounds, especially with some DPF deletes and a chip and a few mods to it. Considering I have been able to haul 12,000 pounds with my 2003 dodge ram 5.7L Hemi lol, but accelerating and breaking is another story.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 11' Ram 3500 dually. My dump trailer is a gooseneck dual tandem. 18' long x 8' wide. She is a beast. I've put 15yds of topsoil in her with no issues. Will haul anything. Downsides heavy as all hell. Load height sux for smaller machines.

I really like the low pro triple axle you posted.

I'm selling my trailer to get a F650/6500 sized dump truck. Will save me time/money in the long run. Since the dump truck can pull a trailer also.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2013, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I knew kajun would reply. As far as what he said with the 650 pulling another ttailer. I know a guy that has a 450 dump and pulls a brimar dump ttailer behind it seems to work well but because.of where he has the leaf bac located in between the truck and trailer I would imagine it gets very cramped. I personally have never ised a tri axle. Biggest dump ttailer I used is a 7x14 brimar dump with I think 2 5k axlrs. Not sutr without checking.
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 12-17-2013, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would buy a dual tandem axle (8 tires) before a tri axle. Especially if the trailer has oil bath axles over regular grease
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2013, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I feel like if I were to ever need something that big and had to go with a trailer I would go with the dual axle woth 8 tires as well. I think it would be more balanced
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 12-17-2013, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not exactly sure what the axles are, but should say on the specs sheet.

Thank you for your input guys, I knew the tandem dually would be more stable.

@Kajun yes the trailer is extremely heavy, I believe it is somewhere close to the 8-9k pounds empty. So definitely a waste of gas if you are only using it for a 1-5 yards trip. But at the same time, the truck is all about raw torque and will feel almost the same when I am towing 2,000-10,000 pounds. Is your 2011 Dodge stock or any mods to it? And yea 8 feet sides must be a bit tricky with smaller machines like skid steers.

Any suggestions on brakes guys? I think electric brakes or both axles is the only thing they offer, or is there anything better?
Old 12-17-2013, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Electric over hydrolic disc it the best thing you can get if you want to stop a big gooseneck with
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2013, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

weight

Have no idea about Canada's laws BUT the law in the US takes the GVW of you're truck (probable 12,000 lbs) and adds it to the GVW of the Trailer (20,000 lbs) to come up with a combined GVW. Doesn't matter what you tag it for--only matters what it is built for. Truck and trailer adds up to 32,000 GVW---US--a commercial driver's license is required !!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I won't get into the weight/cdl/license class because it always turns into a mess.

But you want a tandem dual (8 tires), electric over hydraulic disc brakes.
The axles will be 10k and I'm sure the trailer can be ordered with 12k axles.
235-80-16 tires on either axle.

Your pickup will pull far more then it's rated for. However you have to remember the power to pull and the power of the brakes are two very different things. It's not legal but it's possible is all I am saying.
Also the 10k and 12k axles are tougher then you think. A 10k axle won't bend and fail if you put 10,100lbs on it. They are much tougher then 6-7k axles.