Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-16-2013, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i worked for a lawn company when i was in college. $8 per hr. all i did was trim for 8hrs a day 5 days a week.

that's about $10,000-$12,000 a year depending on how long the season went. i hated every minute of it. trimming all day long sucks and it's hard. i've had tougher jobs like an auto plant but i was making $25 an hour there and had great benefits. made $50,000 a year. to be honest it still wasn't worth it to me. worst job i ever had. quit after 6 years and went into business for myself.

i've had my own business for about 3 years now and i'm only making half what i was making but my life is 100% better and 100% easier. made around $25,000 this year. i don't even have a house and utility payments and i still barely have enough money to make it through the winter.

i'm headed in the right direction though. within 5 years i'll be making what i was before. back at $50k a year.
i owe about $5k more on my truck and it will be paid off. bought it new for $20k back in 2009 while i was still at my other job. living above the garage at my parent's house until i can get back on my feet again.

was just forced by our gov to get health insurance at $185/month for a worthless plan that doesn't even start coverage until you pay $6,350 deductable. once i get my business improved i can get a better plan but the costs go up to $350/month. i haven't been to a doctor in 20 years which makes it even more worthless. it's just there in case something major happens that costs a ton of money. that's all it's good for.

truck payment is about $350/month and insurance is $75/month on it.

cell phone is $65/month and that's the cheapest plan available.

mower and everything is paid off. of course you have licenses to buy and other expenses involved in having a business.

it seems everyone and everything wants to dig a little into your pocket for some kind of tax or fee. gotta love america.

anyways long story short. it's better to work for yourself than work for another company for peanuts. you can work how you wanna work and take on jobs you want and make more money in the process.

working for someone else you are gonna always be doing things the boss wants and stuff you hate. the boss isn't gonna do the crap work. you are and you are gonna make less money in the process. once again gotta love america.

i would tell anyone out there. it's gonna be hard at first. you are gonna have to pull something out of your rear end to make it in the beginning but it will be worth it in the long run if you can hang in there. don't ever work for someone else. be your own boss and work for yourself. that's the way to go. every business barely makes it through in the beginning. most have to take out huge loans and spend the next 10 years paying that off. after that 10 years though they are on easy street for the rest of their lives. lawn care you don't really have to do that. you may have to buy a mower and spend 2 years paying it off. in mowing you don't start off making alot of money since you have to buildup your customers. once you get that built up, which takes years to do, then you are on easy street until you decide to retire.

Last edited by weeze; 12-16-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't say all bosses don't do the garbage jobs. I spent 8 hours shoveling snow while an employee ran the skid. A good leader sets by example.......
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2013, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
I wouldn't say all bosses don't do the garbage jobs. I spent 8 hours shoveling snow while an employee ran the skid. A good leader sets by example.......
Posted via Mobile Device

We are not worthy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree I try to do the harder jobs myself to make it easier on my crew, I find myself killing myself more to keep my guys alittle happier throughout the day.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
i worked for a lawn company when i was in college. $8 per hr. all i did was trim for 8hrs a day 5 days a week.

that's about $10,000-$12,000 a year depending on how long the season went. i hated every minute of it. trimming all day long sucks and it's hard. i've had tougher jobs like an auto plant but i was making $25 an hour there and had great benefits. made $50,000 a year. to be honest it still wasn't worth it to me. worst job i ever had. quit after 6 years and went into business for myself.

i've had my own business for about 3 years now and i'm only making half what i was making but my life is 100% better and 100% easier. made around $25,000 this year. i don't even have a house and utility payments and i still barely have enough money to make it through the winter.

i'm headed in the right direction though. within 5 years i'll be making what i was before. back at $50k a year.
i owe about $5k more on my truck and it will be paid off. bought it new for $20k back in 2009 while i was still at my other job. living above the garage at my parent's house until i can get back on my feet again.

was just forced by our gov to get health insurance at $185/month for a worthless plan that doesn't even start coverage until you pay $6,350 deductable. once i get my business improved i can get a better plan but the costs go up to $350/month. i haven't been to a doctor in 20 years which makes it even more worthless. it's just there in case something major happens that costs a ton of money. that's all it's good for.

truck payment is about $350/month and insurance is $75/month on it.

cell phone is $65/month and that's the cheapest plan available.

mower and everything is paid off. of course you have licenses to buy and other expenses involved in having a business.

it seems everyone and everything wants to dig a little into your pocket for some kind of tax or fee. gotta love america.

anyways long story short. it's better to work for yourself than work for another company for peanuts. you can work how you wanna work and take on jobs you want and make more money in the process.

working for someone else you are gonna always be doing things the boss wants and stuff you hate. the boss isn't gonna do the crap work. you are and you are gonna make less money in the process. once again gotta love america.

i would tell anyone out there. it's gonna be hard at first. you are gonna have to pull something out of your rear end to make it in the beginning but it will be worth it in the long run if you can hang in there. don't ever work for someone else. be your own boss and work for yourself. that's the way to go. every business barely makes it through in the beginning. most have to take out huge loans and spend the next 10 years paying that off. after that 10 years though they are on easy street for the rest of their lives. lawn care you don't really have to do that. you may have to buy a mower and spend 2 years paying it off. in mowing you don't start off making alot of money since you have to buildup your customers. once you get that built up, which takes years to do, then you are on easy street until you decide to retire.
So you worked for $8hr trimming and hated your job and you worked auto for $25hr and hated it. So appartently the money isn't the problem I guess. Stay working for yourself sounds like you like being your own boss, congrats and good luck to you.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I read on here boss man trying to work harder so employes enjoy the day better or they run equipment and shovel all day. Pay more than $8-10 an hour you'll keep better people. I am not sure. No way will I shovel all, day while employees sit in truck or skid. I or you as boss are the highest paid guy or most expensive guy on payroll. So what are you guys paying your people?
Old 12-17-2013, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Oh yes, back breaking labor....really not trimming all day....shovel 20 ton of rock off driveway and wheel barrel to a back yard whle equipment is not an option. Go pour cement all day or tear off shingles ....that is back breaking labor.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1 View Post
Oh yes, back breaking labor....really not trimming all day....shovel 20 ton of rock off driveway and wheel barrel to a back yard whle equipment is not an option. Go pour cement all day or tear off shingles ....that is back breaking labor.
Let's try another angle. Trimmer guy is generally paid $8 an hour right?

He is arguably the most important person on your crew. If he scalps a bunch if crap, messes up on edging, or even misses things it could cause you to lose that account.

Its kind of hard for a guy on a mower to really screw anything up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Let's try another angle. Trimmer guy is generally paid $8 an hour right?

He is arguably the most important person on your crew. If he scalps a bunch if crap, messes up on edging, or even misses things it could cause you to lose that account.

Its kind of hard for a guy on a mower to really screw anything up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh god
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2013, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
Oh god
Posted via Mobile Device
Its a legitimate question. I worked as a crew leader for a company, but I ran trimmer 90% of the time. By doing that I was able to check on other areas of the property and make sure things were done right. I only mowed high end properties.

I was started at $12 an hour. He refused to pay laborers over $9 an hour.
Posted via Mobile Device