Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-21-2013, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Interviewing Tip

Hey Guys,

Everyone knows that finding the right people is hard, and that hiring one bad person can ruin the business. I know I'm knew to the forum, but I wanted to share a tactic I use for every hire.

When I meet with a potential hire for the first time, I have him write down contact information for references/former employers. I then tell them that at the end of the interview, I will ask them to call or set up a call with the reference. It's a super easy way to make sure every word that comes out of their mouth is the truth.

Jake
Old 11-30-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake78 View Post
Hey Guys,

Everyone knows that finding the right people is hard, and that hiring one bad person can ruin the business. I know I'm knew to the forum, but I wanted to share a tactic I use for every hire.

When I meet with a potential hire for the first time, I have him write down contact information for references/former employers. I then tell them that at the end of the interview, I will ask them to call or set up a call with the reference. It's a super easy way to make sure every word that comes out of their mouth is the truth.

Jake
Im going to try that! Im so sick of these CL losers
I would love to see the look on their faces and tone in their voices having to talk to a former boss that fired their loser a$$. If they were a good employee it shouldnt be a problem.
They will either sink their own ship, or be their own wind in the sail
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If the prospective employee is currently employed I doubt seriously they will get their employer involved. Would you?
Old 12-01-2013, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I switched jobs earlier this year, I did not allow my new employer to contact my old employer. My old employer was angry with me for leaving and may have overlooked 2 years of good service due to emotional anger. I did, however, proved a full list of reliable references that could vouch for my work ethic, character, etc.

Usually, a question on many employment applications is "May we contact your current employer?" Typically, I'm sure the box "No" is checked.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 12-01-2013, 05:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, that made me smile. I thought about it and I think I could call any one of my customers from the past 5 years and ask for recommendation np. That actually made me fell pretty good for a sec.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great Pointer

I will definitely be using that. We had our highest turnover of 9 for the year, it was terrible always re-training a guy only to find him gone a few weeks later. It wastes everyone's time. We were always kinda desperate for a guy as well which had us rushing the process at times, which I am sure did not help either.

Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 12-29-2013, 03:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Agreed on not calling the current employer. And during the interview, you may want to say that you understand some employers may not have been so great. But by and large, this works as a truth serum. Let me know how it works!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

So spread the word at supply houses and equipment dealers

We all know that hiring employes from the computation is the only way to get a well versed experienced man, and all you have to do is teach him your policies and procedures. If you are looking for help on craigslist, you know going in that, the turn over ratio is very high. Hiring entry level employees is something that we all have to do,I have found that married men seem to stay on with us at a much higher rate than single guys.We pay our crew more than the going rate, I want them to happy and to tell there friends that we pay the most, so that they come to us when they need a job. It cuts down on hiring newbies that are counter productive.Pay them well it becomes cheaper in the end.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How long have you been in the lawn industry?
Uh, 20 years.
That's great.
I've got a trimmer here that needs new line in it. Can you handle it for me?
Yeah sure!
And 20 minutes later you finally say "You know maybe you should try to get a job somewhere else".
I've got a friend who does this. String a trimmer or put a blade on an edger. He says this weeds out people faster then anything.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
How long have you been in the lawn industry?
Uh, 20 years.
That's great.
I've got a trimmer here that needs new line in it. Can you handle it for me?
Yeah sure!
And 20 minutes later you finally say "You know maybe you should try to get a job somewhere else".
I've got a friend who does this. String a trimmer or put a blade on an edger. He says this weeds out people faster then anything.
That is amazing, I am making that a part of my interview process for sure.

Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC