Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-14-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

We run standers and walk behinds. Won't purchase anything sit down. Causes competition for the mower, and when they're relaxed on a hot summer day they'll drag out properties so they can sit longer.
1 DTE Single Axle
Toros
Stihls
Gravelys
Lesco
Old 12-14-2013, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscapeSavannah View Post
We run standers and walk behinds. Won't purchase anything sit down. Causes competition for the mower, and when they're relaxed on a hot summer day they'll drag out properties so they can sit longer.
Excellent, opened my eyes, I never thought of that.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Still tossing the idea of a two man crew with only wb's vs one 60" ztr. Our average residential property is maybe 12k.

By switching I would still need a ztr to do some larger properties but maybe over time I could transition to residential lawns only and not take on anything that a ztr would be needed.

I just hate to terminate current properties where the ztr is needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscapeSavannah View Post
That is genius!! Never thought of it either..... that is absolutely true that the guy on the sit down will drag out a property!!! Ive caught my guys doing that crap before. And yes, a time or two, ive been guilty of it!!! LOL

Like your post though man I never thought of it. I guess as an operator myself I like the sit downs but if I were sending out crews and that was it maybe Id have to think long and hard about this...... Im fat. I want to sit down. LOL
Old 12-15-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The one thing I have always said is if I could have one mower and one mower only it would have to be a exmark turft tracer 60. Its amazing how well I can run ditches with a 60tt. I can put a 60 about anywhere I can put a 48 due to the overhang of the trim side of the deck........... I used to run just those mowers but it really got to my knees and ankles on my rough ass properties.........

As for properties with fences, that I couldn't get into with my 60..... Someone else can have them.... LOL
Old 12-16-2013, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe that running exclusively walk behinds can be great for the right company in the right application. I love Scag but boy oh boy are TT 60's just amazing!!! I do, however, have to completely disagree with what you guys are saying about the guys milking the clock on the rider. Before I started my own company I worked for a well established company and we did about 120 accounts Tuesday to Friday and I didn't have time to milk anything. It was balls to wall from 7am until 4-5pm. If I "milked" an account, we wouldn't get done that day. Your guys do have a time limit for each property right? No? Huh, better hit it with them next time to show them how long it is supposed to take or they will absolutely take advantage....
Old 12-16-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have made this call as well. I got so many small accounts
this year today I picked up a new 52" fixed deck and a older truck today , with luck I will add more .
But I will also add its not the same as a stander , but lighter and cheaper they are.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2013, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

3 48" Turf tracers sit on my trailer.
Went back to all walk a few years ago. (but I never ran the ztr anyway. lol)
And when I say walk, I mean walk, no slides or sulkies.
I cut only resi-and they all seem to have some tricky terrain. Up, down, terraced, tightly landscaped, etc.
We do a lot of "cluster cuts", (it's what I call a stop with multiple properties), and you can crank 'em out at a pretty good clip with the right crew.
Having only 48's means any mower can mow anywhere without concerns with the finish stripe-fronts, backs, islands all interchangeable.
Right application for me.

Last edited by Groomer; 12-17-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I totally agree with what has been said here. I am however thinking my next mower will be a wright stander, but something tells me to stick with walk behind/sulkys. However, when i do the numbers, operational and purchase costs come out to be the same, so what truly makes the walkbehinds cheaper to run?? Id like to hear more on the business/cost cutting side of this. For an operation that changes labor a lot, whats more "fool proof" ??????

14 Years old
Old 12-18-2013, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

People leave out the most important factor in selecting equipment.

Wear and tear on the body. The person sitting for 30 years will have less knee, hip, and leg problems then the guy standing or walking.