Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-18-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

fert and squirt

Found a bill on my customers door for fert and squirt application. $55 per application. Not a small yard but your average lot in a home owner subdivision. Now with the price of fertilizer these days this sounds cheap. And the lawn is amazing. No weeds, no nothing. The best st.Aug on the street. Are these normal prices?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds fine to me. I'm in Missouri though. Maybe a little cheap for your area?
Old 12-19-2013, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
Found a bill on my customers door for fert and squirt application. $55 per application. Not a small yard but your average lot in a home owner subdivision. Now with the price of fertilizer these days this sounds cheap. And the lawn is amazing. No weeds, no nothing. The best st.Aug on the street. Are these normal prices?
Posted via Mobile Device
Its not just about what is applied to the lawn. Mowing and irrigation are the other 90% of a good lawn. Incorrectly mowed and irrigated lawns just cost more in chemicals and might be impossible to keep while remaining in compliance with chemical labeling.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 12-19-2013, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

In all honesty, that sounds pretty cheap. Typical rates around here (for lawns up to say 10-12K) run anywhere from $12-$17 per K. Agree 100% with greendoctor's comment too.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Soil quality is a big factor.

Because Florida's Gulf Coast is below Flood Plain, our house are built on Fill dirt. Fact is the canals were dug to reclaim water front property. Dirt out of the canal was used to raise the land above the Flood Plain. However even more fill dirt has to be brought in before building.

These houses are build at different times and by different contractors who got fill dirt from different sources. As a result we have yards that get very little care and look beautiful. We also have yards that get everything and look horrible. These yards are next door to each other.

I also agree Cultural Practices must be carried out properly or all the Chemicals in the world won't do any good. Because water is so expensive and our soil is so sandy, many people under water. Truth be told, Water is the biggest factor in growing grass.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Its not just about what is applied to the lawn. Mowing and irrigation are the other 90% of a good lawn. Incorrectly mowed and irrigated lawns just cost more in chemicals and might be impossible to keep while remaining in compliance with chemical labeling.
Excellent point. I ONLY interested in taking on April clients who want to abide by more optimal cultural practices. Any pointers on positive client reinforcement vs. not taking or dropping clients for bad behavior.

Sorry for the slight hijack.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-19-2013, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

None really. Either someone is with the program or they are not. I have told people exactly what they need to do to get their lawn in fairway condition. Some get right on it. Down to putting their rotary on craigslist and getting the right mower. Other people cry poor. Those are the ones I do not take. This is all laid out before I begin service.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Had one customer go through about 10 different fert and squirt guys. He said none could kill or prevent crab grass and none did a good job. He tells the neighbors that these company's are all the same. I found out that he does not like to water his lawn much. His neighbor told me he only waters 15 min per zone. His remedy every year is to put rye down in winter. He got a nice house, nice cars nice job but don't want to pay to water. I find that the people that pull water from the canels and lakes have the best yards. The nutrients from the water plus the fert and squirt guys on the property make a huge difference. I think crab grass is the number one complaint. Its nasty looking stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-19-2013, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In my town, people who are not willing to water enough are condemned to have their lawn taken over by brush. Grass needs more than 20 inches of water per year if the growing season is 52 weeks.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Excellent point. I ONLY interested in taking on April clients who want to abide by more optimal cultural practices. Any pointers on positive client reinforcement vs. not taking or dropping clients for bad behavior.

Sorry for the slight hijack.
Posted via Mobile Device
Before I take on a new customer I inspect the irrigation system and explain "ALL" the things that must be done for success. If they agree I will give them a fact sheet with instructions with the 1st bill. People will retain more by reading than verbal cues. Of course there are those who believe they can repeat the same things over and achieve different results because we are supposed to spray some miracle solution on the lawn. If things don't work out at least I can say "I told you so".