Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I like being able to store mulch and other materials so I can simply load in the morning and go...
Storing additional trailers, equipment like chippers or my own private items is really nice...
The office allows for so many more possibilities with staff and a place to work kn equipment late into the night or early each day
Old 12-18-2013, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, next week, I think I'm reallygoing to go start evaluating and pursuing the business/shop idea. I'm going to go and look it over and see what all I have to do to make this a reality. I've got the bldg. full of boxes and furniture right now and the neighbor is parking several cars in the lot. They're probably not going to be very happy if I fence it in but Oh well.
2008 Yamaha 350 Grizzly
742 Bobcat
7x16 Enclosed Homesteader Trailer
7x16 Landscape Trailer
7x16 Landscape Trailer double gates
(2) Snappers Pro 52" WB's
2012 Scag Turf Tiger
Whole bunch of weedeaters and blowers, etc.
[B]MainTainZ Property Services
Taking Care of What God Gave Us
Old 12-18-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have shop and office. I still do all bookwork at home. Phone will ring at home as back up. But equipment repairs, storage, heated, welder, torch, tools. It is nice. But it comes with a price. Mortage. Insurance. Taxes. Utilities etc.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's some pics of my shop,land, and office area. I bought this 3 acre land about 4 years ago. It was a great investment. I live with my wife about 2 miles from here so it's a easy 5 minute drive every morning to the shop. I think it was a great decision, i allways wanted a piece of land where I could grow my buisiness and do things that I wouldn't be able to do at our house. For example, have plenty of room for parking and storage, have a seperate office etc, store materials, mulch etc, we have a large dug burn pit we dump into and burn brush etc. Also it is nice to actually have a site for a buisiness to put up a sign and look a little more legit. If I was solo I wouldn't mind working out of the house but having a crew of guys it's nice to keep your business out of your personal life, here's some pics, i know it's probaly small compared to some of you guys but I have lots of plans for here. I tried to upload better pics but they were allready uploaded on my pic thread and can't re upload them here so here are some crappy left overs.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2013, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As someone mentioned, I think one of the very best advantages of having a shop (separate from your house) is the ability to lock it up and leave things where they are.

(For a solo owner)
Whether it's paperwork on a desk, something you're working on that's on a table, or a mower (in the middle of the floor) that is being worked on, being able to lock the shop up and have things remain exactly where you left them (sometimes for weeks) is almost priceless.

(With several employees)
Having a shop is still a huge advantage, but things will still eventually have a way of getting moved around when more than 1 person is working in the area.

I've had a 1500 sq ft shop for about 15 years, and now that I'm used to having it, I can't imagine not having one. My shop is located on the same acreage my house is on, but is 100 yards or so from my house.

This distance between the 2 means the house and the shop don't interfere with each other, but, the shop is close enough to my house so that there is no driving involved on days that I'm only going to be in the shop. The lack of the cost of driving back and forth to work (on days I'm not leaving the shop) really adds up to a big savings in a year's time.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do! Stan

Last edited by StanWilhite; 12-19-2013 at 12:22 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-19-2013, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
Here's some pics of my shop,land, and office area. I bought this 3 acre land about 4 years ago. It was a great investment. I live with my wife about 2 miles from here so it's a easy 5 minute drive every morning to the shop. I think it was a great decision, i allways wanted a piece of land where I could grow my buisiness and do things that I wouldn't be able to do at our house. For example, have plenty of room for parking and storage, have a seperate office etc, store materials, mulch etc, we have a large dug burn pit we dump into and burn brush etc. Also it is nice to actually have a site for a buisiness to put up a sign and look a little more legit. If I was solo I wouldn't mind working out of the house but having a crew of guys it's nice to keep your business out of your personal life, here's some pics, i know it's probaly small compared to some of you guys but I have lots of plans for here. I tried to upload better pics but they were allready uploaded on my pic thread and can't re upload them here so here are some crappy left overs.
Nice setup. The bldg. that I own is about 6 miles from my house. Only real concern is that the area is having a ton of thefts right now. Bunch of pill heads are stealing everything. I have enough chain link to fence the lot in but it's only the 36" tall stuff. I would really like to fence it with the tall chain link with wire at the top.
Btw, I've been thinking about getting a BRi Mar dump bed. Do you like yours. ?
2008 Yamaha 350 Grizzly
742 Bobcat
7x16 Landscape Trailer
2012 Scag Turf Tiger
Old 12-19-2013, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
As someone mentioned, I think one of the very best advantages of having a shop (separate from your house) is the ability to lock it up and leave things where they are.

(For a solo owner)
Whether it's paperwork on a desk, something you're working on that's on a table, or a mower (in the middle of the floor) that is being worked on, being able to lock the shop up and have things remain exactly where you left them (sometimes for weeks) is almost priceless.

(With several employees)
Having a shop is still a huge advantage, but things will still eventually have a way of getting moved around when more than 1 person is working in the area.

I've had a 1500 sq ft shop for about 15 years, and now that I'm used to having it, I can't imagine not having one. My shop is located on the same acreage my house is on, but is 100 yards or so from my house.

This distance between the 2 means the house and the shop don't interfere with each other, but, the shop is close enough to my house so that there is no driving involved on days that I'm only going to be in the shop. The lack of the cost of driving back and forth to work (on days I'm not leaving the shop) really adds up to a big savings in a year's time.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do! Stan
Thanks for the insight. When I built my house, I built a office in the house but it's just not like having a separate location. Every time I go in there to work on whatever, I always get distracted by something. Usually my kids constantly coming to the door wanting something. As far as equipment, my yard is getting run over and it's starting to look a little junky..
2008 Yamaha 350 Grizzly
742 Bobcat
7x16 Landscape Trailer
2012 Scag Turf Tiger
Old 12-19-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
If your Married it is.

i wish i could find a shop and just have a den/bedroom/kitchen/bath apartment as part of it. that's all i would need.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainTainZ Property Svcs. View Post
Thanks for the insight. When I built my house, I built a office in the house but it's just not like having a separate location. Every time I go in there to work on whatever, I always get distracted by something. Usually my kids constantly coming to the door wanting something. As far as equipment, my yard is getting run over and it's starting to look a little junky..
Distractions seem to be a never ending thing, especially if time is tight and you're working on something important! I too tried the "in house office" route, but our 2 (then) young boys were always running in and out, making it almost impossible to keep a train of thought. The disruptions were really aggravating, but I didn't want to be constantly getting on the boys because they were just doing what little boys do.

So....since we have a really large garage, I eventually built an office out there and it's perfect! It's fully equipped and well insulated from sound, making it easy to keep your mind on whatever you're working on....and "the boys can still be boys".
Stan
Old 12-19-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Distractions seem to be a never ending thing, especially if time is tight and you're working on something important! I too tried the "in house office" route, but our 2 (then) young boys were always running in and out, making it almost impossible to keep a train of thought. The disruptions were really aggravating, but I didn't want to be constantly getting on the boys because they were just doing what little boys do.

So....since we have a really large garage, I eventually built an office out there and it's perfect! It's fully equipped and well insulated from sound, making it easy to keep your mind on whatever you're working on....and "the boys can still be boys".
Stan
Start Work early when no one is awake...you'll get a lot more done...

Tags
lawn care , office , storage , theft , work shop