Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-21-2013, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Polished aluminum flashing

This one probably more to the vets. I have a client I picked up this year, 287' c-9 mounted on the roof. The trick, its a diner, 50's retro look, highly polished aluminum flashing for mounting point.

The owner was against para-pit clips and shingle tabs, so I went with hot glue. Now the kicker, we get this freak 14" snow storm last week, followed by another 6-8" two days later. Well long story short, the snow slides down the roof a bit - couple feet, and wacks off about a dozen and a half or so lights.

By Monday all the snow we have here should be long gone

Not that I am going to do anything different other than re-glue them at this point, but for next year, should I stand firm on the para-pit slips, or take my chances again with the hot glue??
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 12-21-2013, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

you might check into the white light clip strip. use marine brand "goop", masking tape to hold til glue dries. we have some on metal that has lasted 7 years. kinda pricey tho.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

5' lengths Dave, if so I know where to get it. I actually hadnt thought of that. I was surprised, the hot glue took right back to the surface today, just in time as I did the lat one it started pouring.

This project in particular has been a real headache. first rain their GFCI trips, that part runs fine off my truck, soon as I plug it in, pop. So end up runnning a 100' lead to the other side, plug it in over there, stays on no issue - eliminates any thoughts I had of weak connection.

Next thing I know, as you mentioned earlier, the photo cell nightmare. three different times go up and change the hour on the timer. SMH

Then the snow hits "the lights are out on the left side." Up I go again, now also keep in mind not only do I have to go up in the bucket truck, but then drop a 10' step ladder onto the roof as the wall comes up 9' -ast the roof line. Now I get there, 14" of snow up there, lights are working fine, blocked w snow.

Two days later, lights are out. Again I go, this time yup they are, holy ice build up batman. Unplugs three leads, then mini avalanche wipes out what I fixed today. Client says, I thought you were going to remove the snow?? Me=AH nope snow removal not part of the contract. SMH

Today, get there just in time to beat the rain, re-glue the removed ones, change a bulb, and hope that this is the last time I have to deal with it this year.

The worse part, still not paid for the job, but running like a chicken w his head cut off.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor