Register free!

Old 12-22-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, impressive work.

What's the price range for a project like that?

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 12-23-2013, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Nice size project to end the year with, kills me though to see you destroy that rock, why not move and incorporate into your feature? Also you could've still used matrix bloxs by adding 8-10inches of gravel over them would of been plenty with your machine. The size of gravel I see is to small and doesnt allow for much water storage for the whole area of your basin. Did you add large stone in the bottom and gradually work up by chance?
Old 12-23-2013, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggs View Post
Nice size project to end the year with, kills me though to see you destroy that rock, why not move and incorporate into your feature? Also you could've still used matrix bloxs by adding 8-10inches of gravel over them would of been plenty with your machine. The size of gravel I see is to small and doesnt allow for much water storage for the whole area of your basin. Did you add large stone in the bottom and gradually work up by chance?
These were the reasons I asked the question about use of the matrix blocks. The small size of the gravel not only reduces water capacity but facilitates much easier clogging. Everyone does things differently, just wondered why.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

i used large stone (think footballs)below the top layer, but had I driven over it wouldn't be that great. I had to destroy that rock for 2 reasons:
1) it was the wrong color and wouldn't match the stuff we hauled in
2) to heavy, even breaking it in half we still had to roll it away (we're putting it in a landscape bed away from this project) no way we could have picked it up and set it
Old 12-23-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggs View Post
Thanks for the critique I'll keep it in mind next time.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Brandon
I know matrix cubes are not the cheapest thing in the world. My job that im currently designing requires over a 100 of them. Needless to say im not gona use them cause the cubes themselves would price the job over budget. For large jobs such as yours I use commercial grade poly tubes that they use for drain basins and culverts. They range in size(the ones im using are 2' in diameter). Now these are the ones that are ribbed on the outside and smooth wall on the inside. I will get a 20' section and cut them down to what size I need. I then drill 3/4 inch holes through out the pipe. In my opinion they are stronger than the matrix cubes and allows just as much open space for water. Once they are in I then place larger gravel and top with smaller. You will have no problem driving over basin. Now the price difference is what us pond builders like to see, my way costs a third of what it would have been if I used the cubes. Don't get me wrong the cubes have there place, however on large jobs where budgets are tight there are always other options. This is my Christmas savings hint on the year for those who want to use it lol..

Fyi on a personal note.. I was born in Goldsboro NC. Miss that place loved living there.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

still not finished, though we've had everything running... couldn't photograph it though because I was trying to run all 4 pumps off my generator and it wouldn't :-(
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2014, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like fun...

www.SoCalPonds.com
Old 01-27-2014, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking good, anxious for finished pics. Is that a commercial site?
Old 01-29-2014, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

almost finished the weather here hasn't been helping our cause. everything is setup to run but due to the weather all my water froze :-( and since it isn't directly connected to a water source yet (we filled it via our hyrdoseeder) it ran our of water. so we have resorted to filling it up and winterizing for a few days. now we just have to wait for things to dry out to do the turf... but given the soil type that could be a while

Brandon Vaughan
Toms Creek Nursery & Landscaping
Asheboro, NC
www.tomscreek.com
Attached Images