Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-14-2013, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I ran into a guy here in Austin I didn't know existed. He has 400 clients large and small. He started doing lighting back around 94'. I had seen his signs stuck in the ground at intersections all the time but thought it was just some joker hanging home owner stuff. Interesting guy to talk to.
The guy with 400 clients is Joey's Exteriors. When I saw Joey talked to him I warned him about a past client who was a dead beat that I thought he might be doing an estimate for. He told me about a big job he was doing where he had three guys working for several days.

Joey called me yesterday to warn me about a bad client who was trying to screw him. His big job apparently was for a con man and he got taken. The guy he was doing the job for did a stop payment on his check. He Googled the guy and as it turns out he has been in trouble before.

He said just the lights he has on the guys property were $4,000 and I'm guessing he has a grand in labor. It was an $11,000 job. I guess a good rule of thumb on big jobs is to go to the bank and have them verify funds first. A stop payment would show up at that time as well.

I'm going to talk to the other holiday lighting companies in my area to make a black list of customers to avoid so we can try to better protect ourselves. The Austin area market is great overall with tons of high end clients (over 20,000 millionaires as of 8 years ago) but we also have our share of con artists who are living high on the hog with swindled money. Every year at least 1-2 investor scams get shut down.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-16-2013, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Number #13 (postcard). The third Decor customer I've picked up. I'm sure glad they only rent here. All you have to do with high end people is compare the rental model cost over 2-3 years to the buy cost and it's usually an easy sell. These were all long time customers of Decor and they jumped ship in a second when they got a better deal to own.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 12-17-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

54. home adviser lead. few thoughts on that- I think I got another one from home advisor as well. went through all my leads this year, got 16 leads from service magic, closed 4. but 2 came from other sources, cards and whatnot. so I spent aprox 250 bucks and closed in excess of 15k on the two jobs. so a very good investment. yes, 12 leads were a waste of time. but I will take spending 250 bucks to get 2 jobs any day.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

HomeAdviser.com got me a few last year but this year it brought me one tire kicker with BMW dreams and a Kia budget.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really thought we were finished this past Tuesday..had a call come in from a neighbor of a house we did on their street and closed number 28..going to put it up tomorrow morning then spend the afternoon cleaning up the shop
Old 12-21-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not a new sale but a current customer has grown frustrated with the battery powered wreaths she got from else where. Two less 48" Cheyenne wreaths and nylon Vickerman bows in stock. Gladly take a little $785 job I'll do myself tomorrow. If you guys want bows that will wow even the most picky bow snob the Vickerman units with gold trim are the way to go.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Have any of you guys used any of the hand held label makers for putting install info on the ends of your C7/C9 runs or other stuff? I'm thinking about buying one to improve my efficiency. Here is a link http://www.ptouchdirect.com/ptouch/new_pt7600.html to one of several that are available. It seems like money well spent.

If any of you guys have used one and have a favorite one let me know.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did one year and it was a real pain. Not to mention, the labels had a tendency to loosen up and I was afraid they would fall off so I just pulled out the sharpie the next year and relabeled everything.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachysLawn View Post
I did one year and it was a real pain. Not to mention, the labels had a tendency to loosen up and I was afraid they would fall off so I just pulled out the sharpie the next year and relabeled everything.
Duct tape notes has been my MO thus far. I'm trying to improve efficiency.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

yellow prewired tags from uline. largest size they sell. goes on wreaths, spools, displays.