Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2013, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried the new iQ dustless handheld saw?

Has anyone tried the new iQ pc912 dustless handheld saw? Does anyone own one yet? How is it working?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yah. I bought one earlier this year. A little spendy. But in theory, they are worth it. They sell a blade that is 50% quieter than regular saw blades and then the no-dust thing is amazing. Dust is a huge problem for us sometimes. I've had jobs where we had to spend half a day or more pressure washing off the deck, siding, cleaning windows, cleaning off the fence, the neighbors deck, etc. just from all the dust that had flown everywhere during the job. Not to mention the risk in terms of guys breathing that stuff in. In theory, this saw solves a lot of problems.

In practice, however, there are some real challenges. I had a whole thread about this earlier in the year:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...40#post4791140

But in summary, here are the main problems:
  1. The saw requires you to use it on a 20 amp circuit. If you don't, you'll be constantly tripping breakers.
  2. Similarly, to handle the amperage, you have to use a REALLY heavy gauge extention cord
  3. The saw doesn't stay on. It has a trigger. Once you let go of the trigger, the saw turns off. This creates a big problem because if you are doing a cut that requires you to use two hands (e.g. a curve cut) then you cannot do it with this saw with one person. You cannot have one hand on each side of the block while also having on hand on the trigger. So what you eventually learn to do is put a zip tie on the triggerr and use a remote control (like this one) to turn the saw on and off.

Because of these problems, I would not recommend the saw. We still use it sometimes. But not nearly as often as I would like, given we spent like $2,200 on it. It just turned out to be not quite as great in practice as it was in theory. Which is too bad. I really like the concept. I'm sure in the future they'll probably work out these kinks. But for now, I'd stick with whatever you're using.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 12-20-2013, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the great information. I was actually inquiring about their new handheld gas powered model
http://www.iqpowertools.com/pc912/

Looks like a nice saw but been trying to get some feedback before spending $2000.

Thanks,

Travis

JimLewis;4921311]Yah. I bought one earlier this year. A little spendy. But in theory, they are worth it. They sell a blade that is 50% quieter than regular saw blades and then the no-dust thing is amazing. Dust is a huge problem for us sometimes. I've had jobs where we had to spend half a day or more pressure washing off the deck, siding, cleaning windows, cleaning off the fence, the neighbors deck, etc. just from all the dust that had flown everywhere during the job. Not to mention the risk in terms of guys breathing that stuff in. In theory, this saw solves a lot of problems.

In practice, however, there are some real challenges. I had a whole thread about this earlier in the year:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...40#post4791140

But in summary, here are the main problems:
  1. The saw requires you to use it on a 20 amp circuit. If you don't, you'll be constantly tripping breakers.
  2. Similarly, to handle the amperage, you have to use a REALLY heavy gauge extention cord
  3. The saw doesn't stay on. It has a trigger. Once you let go of the trigger, the saw turns off. This creates a big problem because if you are doing a cut that requires you to use two hands (e.g. a curve cut) then you cannot do it with this saw with one person. You cannot have one hand on each side of the block while also having on hand on the trigger. So what you eventually learn to do is put a zip tie on the triggerr and use a remote control (like this one) to turn the saw on and off.

Because of these problems, I would not recommend the saw. We still use it sometimes. But not nearly as often as I would like, given we spent like $2,200 on it. It just turned out to be not quite as great in practice as it was in theory. Which is too bad. I really like the concept. I'm sure in the future they'll probably work out these kinks. But for now, I'd stick with whatever you're using.[/QUOTE]
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ahh. Gotcha. I didn't realize they had a gas powered one. That would be nice! I didn't see it at the HNA show and the sales guy who stopped in Portland one day never told me they had one either. But that would eliminate two of the problems.

If the gas one stays on all the time (e.g. no trigger) - or if the engine at least doesn't turn off every time you take your hand off the trigger, then this may be the ideal machine. I wish I would have bought that one!

Old 12-20-2013, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, it looks like a pretty nice set up. So I take it you were very happy with the dust collection part of the system?

UOTE=JimLewis;4921332]Ahh. Gotcha. I didn't realize they had a gas powered one. That would be nice! I didn't see it at the HNA show and the sales guy who stopped in Portland one day never told me they had one either. But that would eliminate two of the problems.

If the gas one stays on all the time (e.g. no trigger) - or if the engine at least doesn't turn off every time you take your hand off the trigger, then this may be the ideal machine. I wish I would have bought that one![/QUOTE]
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2013, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, that part we loved.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I saw the gas powerd one in action at HNA this year and got to use the electric one in the HNA installer competition. I would highly NOT recommend either. The gas one has a very small blade and can only cut pavers. You have to use it in reverse, meaning you cant cut forwards with it or the dust collection system doesnt work. Thats a problem because if you look at the saw it has a cover on the bottom that collects the dust and it also will cover up any line on the paver your trying to cut. Thus it is pretty much useless. And you also cant cut in place with it again because you cant see the line your cutting. I hope that makes sense, hard to describe.

As for the electric one, pretty much what Jim said. Great at collecting dust but thats it. Its very slow cutting, the trigger sucks, the cutting table doesnt roll like most table saw so your trying to push a paver through the saw blade on a un-moveable metal surface, with one hand...

With a few improvements they could really make these saws a lot better. But there is no way im spending that kind of money on these saws.

Anyone can run equipment, very few can operate.

Check out what I do.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BobcatNinja2124

The company I work for.
http://www.interstatelandscapenh.com/

Follow me on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/TheDirtNinja
Old 12-31-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

So far have had mixed reviews on the ones I have sold. Have yet to find a customer willing to shell out the $2,000 on the hand-held with no track record.

Word is they are working on the trigger issue and power drain. Hopefully they will have it out by MAHTS!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomG View Post
I saw the gas powerd one in action at HNA this year and got to use the electric one in the HNA installer competition. I would highly NOT recommend either. The gas one has a very small blade and can only cut pavers. You have to use it in reverse, meaning you cant cut forwards with it or the dust collection system doesnt work. Thats a problem because if you look at the saw it has a cover on the bottom that collects the dust and it also will cover up any line on the paver your trying to cut. Thus it is pretty much useless. And you also cant cut in place with it again because you cant see the line your cutting. I hope that makes sense, hard to describe.

As for the electric one, pretty much what Jim said. Great at collecting dust but thats it. Its very slow cutting, the trigger sucks, the cutting table doesnt roll like most table saw so your trying to push a paver through the saw blade on a un-moveable metal surface, with one hand...

With a few improvements they could really make these saws a lot better. But there is no way im spending that kind of money on these saws.
Couldnt agree more. I was very interested in both saws but after the demos at HNA I realized there was some major refining that needs to happen. The cutting in reverse just simply would never work for us as we normally cut in place..
Old 02-27-2014, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I fully agree.
I really wanted it to work.

The cutting in reverse is a definite problem.
They are on the right track but still have some issues to work out