Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have started a solo mowing and snow clearing Biz. It is just going to school at my age does not appeal to me. I stay very busy though until the snow starts flying. I don't get too involved with landscaping but I want to learn enough to do my own yard up a little better.
I do know one thing at my age I feel every injury I had while riding my bike. (but I still would do it all over again). Back in the day I would ride with some of the top A riders on the 125cc bikes in the state. Man those guys were fast, I never had the money to race much and those guys were sponsored by Honda and Yamaha. Those were the days when after work was done I would load up and head to the track at least every other day.
I quit riding altogether when I met my wife.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J & D Greens View Post
I have started a solo mowing and snow clearing Biz. It is just going to school at my age does not appeal to me. I stay very busy though until the snow starts flying. I don't get too involved with landscaping but I want to learn enough to do my own yard up a little better.
I do know one thing at my age I feel every injury I had while riding my bike. (but I still would do it all over again). Back in the day I would ride with some of the top A riders on the 125cc bikes in the state. Man those guys were fast, I never had the money to race much and those guys were sponsored by Honda and Yamaha. Those were the days when after work was done I would load up and head to the track at least every other day.
I quit riding altogether when I met my wife.
It can be tough to go to school after you're above the age of about 22-23.

You can definitely learn a good bit of info on hardscapes from that section of this site. I haven't spent much time in there as I learned a lot from my teacher (such as the rainwater recycling system permeable paver patio/waterfall project we built in school fall 2012) that owns a high end hardscape company, as I type he's probably carving a bathtub out of a 12,000 lb boulder which has become his new niche. Carving boulders into chairs and tables with fire rock in the center, I think I have pics of them from his MN State Fair display in this thread.

Anyway, kinda got off topic. I enjoy doing hardscapes however last year it was extremely hard to find good help that knew what they were doing when it came to hardscapes, especially because I couldn't offer a full time position and until I purchase a dump trailer (next big purchase), concrete saw, compactor, & skid, I'm set up just right yet.

You were probably running A class when Andrew Short was coming up through the ranks being as he's from Colorado Springs? I'm definitely nowhere near A class pace and probably won't be until maybe the 25+ class when I'm out of the field and not worrying about getting the field labor done on Monday if I'm sore/injured. I'm too afraid to crash, I'd rather not feel pain. One very bad shoulder injury & getting knocked out in the same crash my first year on 85s in 2004 has pretty much scared me into taking it easy as I get older. Back when I was a junior/senior in high school in 07-09, I was a lot more aggressive and more fearless.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I never got to race (just a couple times in the novice class) Jay always encouraged me to He was always was competing with Albert for the number one plate in the A class but I was barley able to afford riding let alone racing, (I just practiced with those guys).
After I crushed my ankle, I meet my wife. In my mined there is only one way to ride and I knew if I continued to ride my relationship with her would not last. After our first child I got into mountain biking and that is as close a feeling I have had to riding dirt bikes since. All I can say is have the time of your life while you are young because once you hit a certain age you find out that you can't go back. And those experiences you will be able to look back on and reminisce.
I have done some small projects but what I would like to do at my house would cost me a lot of $$$$ and time. I will get it done over the years though.
I haven't been on this site much in the past few years I kind of got into 4 wheeling and am looking at those sites most of the time. I just got a renewed interest with what the new kids are doing in the field.
Have a great Christmas and I hope the new year is a prosperous one for you.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm definitely trying to enjoy my youth as much as possible!

Merry Christmas to you & Happy New Years! 2-4" of snow coming tonight. This month has been huge, 9 visits to 1" trigger commercial properties. I don't mind missing some of Christmas anyway as I just have my parents & younger bros & one of my bros gf doing dinner & presents tonight, then plowing all night and Christmas with my dad's side of the family during the day and I plan to skip the meal (instead of fondue like the family has had for tradition since I was born) because it's decided as Soup & Salad (which is garbage) and we'll be plowing commercials tmrw night to be open for Thursday.

I'm hoping to double or possibly triple sales next year. This year was about 375% compared to last year.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-25-2013, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is nice when the forecast is solidly over the trigger and a sure thing. I only do 1 commercial and 10 residential walks and driveways. No plowing I just use snow blowers and shovels. I do the commercial regardless of the amount (he doesn't have a parking lot) and 2" trigger for the residential. On some of my customers I still will do them regardless I just don't want to risk anyone falling and coming back on me. I'm not worried about how much I make through the winter, it is just some extra $$$$.

I think next season will be steady. Each season we have increased by about 10%, but this season I am not sure we can do that with out increasing how many accounts I do. Like I said before I am retired from one job and I do this to supplement my retirement. I wish I had started doing this 30 years ago, I would have made three times the $$$$ than I did slaving away at the job I did for 31 years. That is why I envy you younger guys so much.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the kind words J&D.

Wow, it's almost been a month since I posted here.

After the Christmas snow we didn't have any more snow for a couple weeks, which was great for New Years! Went to a friends party and had a ton of fun. But we just had a freezing rain event towards the beginning of the month and then two storms last week, one on Tuesday/Tues night & Saturday. Depending on exact location of the Tuesday storm, 3-5" & Saturday's event, which was frustrating because it snowed until about 6-7am and dropped 3" and then the sun came out looking like it hadn't even snowed yet client's lots & driveways had snow on them.

Here are some pics from Saturday as well as some from the Northern Green Expo a couple weeks ago.

All the snow has been awesome however I'm ready for spring and warmer weather! It has been brutally cold this winter, temps in the -20s quite often.

Snapped a shot while shoveling the sidewalk at a resi.

Plowing a daycare/preschool.

My former teacher's (my school has a display booth at the Green Expo at the Minneapolis Convention Center) insane fire rock water bubbler that he carved, his creations are amazing. I took a video but the quality is crap if it's uploaded to photobucket.

The banner my school had at the booth. This year they completely overhauled the courtyard of the school and the bottom two pics on the banner are of that. Permeable paver walkway. I can't wait to go there in the spring and see it!

A pic before he lit it.

Normally equipment isn't a big deal to me as I'm much more focused on numbers & systems but this Arctic brand 14' box pusher caught my eyes, along with the Cat skid. An awesome setup to say the least! That's my buddy (one of my irrigation guys) sitting in it, he's huge into operating equip and was pretty much in heaven.

And after plowing for 15 hours straight on Saturday, my buddy (the one sitting in the skid in the above pic) & I went out for his older sisters 30th bday with a bunch of her friends to a pretty upscale club in downtown Minneapolis and had VIP bottle service. A few Twolves players were in the booth next to us, our area became packed as soon as they arrived. Definitely a ton of fun.

Then Sunday we and one more buddy (his biz partner) went up to his cabin about 4 hrs north (absolute middle of nowhere with no cell signal) to ride sleds. It was my first time riding a sled on my own. My dad had one when my brothers and I were really young but then sold it to purchase more dirtbikes and I had never really had any interest in riding sleds until my buddies invited me to head up with them. We spent all yesterday on the lake ripping through about 1-2' of fresh powder. It was a BLAST! But very cold, temps there were below zero with a decent wind and wearing my moto helmet & goggles, it was very cold going about 75mph against the wind. We didn't even ride today as it was -25.

Here's a couple pics.

That is the boathouse in the background, pretty nice in there with a stereo system, bar, & pool table. The main cabin is directly behind me.
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Old 01-23-2014, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cool stuff glad to see you posting again! The Cat skid is sweet with the Sectional
Old 01-28-2014, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do post quite a bit in the business management section, but I need to keep my thread on the first page of the pic threads lol!

Here are some pics from stacking this past Saturday night just before another storm rolled in that dropped 2-3". More snow coming on Wed night into Thursday as well. I've been running the numbers for the past two months and the monthly properties have been killing me with how little because all the events in December and it looks like January will be in the same boat, however, the per push & hourly are looking great and certainly balance it out and then some!

The skid is my irrigation guys and one of the partners ran it. This lot definitely needed it! It feels like it's the beginning of winter again with how much room there is to pile now. There were a bunch more areas where he piled but I forget to get pics of them.

Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Old 01-28-2014, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice man, looks like you're killing it as usual. I very much enjoy you're thread. Keep it up man!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2014, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Il love stacking $$$
What do you use to watermark your pics? Had someone steal some and ive been meaning to get on that