Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-24-2013, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I fail to see why you think it takes so long to move up. Some were never meant to move up and thats ok too. At most every job I ever did the responsibility's kept piling on me very quickly. I worked 3rd shift my entire senior year of high school. 6 months after I graduated I was 4th key in a supermarket with 100 employees and was running the place 1-2 nights a week. I had guys twice my age under me who had 3 times my seniority. The point is not everyone is cut out to be management or owners. And the Gems that are, stick out instantly and quickly move through the ranks.

Worker point of view is little more than a euphemism for Marxist loser. The right to life liberty and pursuit of happiness is just a clever way of saying you have an equal opportunity to make your way in the world. Not an equal outcome that has been tried over and over and it never works. All that does is disincentivize your most industrious people.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

see that's where it's all messed up. no newer guy should ever outrank someone that has put in more time. that's showing favortism and not treating people equally.

i agree we all have different skills. that doesn't mean someone should be punished or looked over just because they are a good worker yet don't really have the personality to "boss" people around so to speak.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wheeze that sounds pitiful. Why should time trump performance? How is it "fair" to skip over the guy with better performance and go straight to the guy that has more time in?
Pretty unfair to the owner of the company that will have to suffer when the better performing guy leaves to start his own

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-24-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if someone isn't performing they should be fired to begin with.

most times i've seen in my life the problem isn't that they aren't performing. in fact they may be the best worker they have. it's just they aren't the type of person that is take charge or one that likes to tell other people what to do. they don't have the "boss" mentality or personality so to speak. then some young cocky son of a you know what gets promoted above them to be a manager or something. it's just not right.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's not what happens. Not most times.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-25-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
see that's where it's all messed up. no newer guy should ever outrank someone that has put in more time. that's showing favortism and not treating people equally.

i agree we all have different skills. that doesn't mean someone should be punished or looked over just because they are a good worker yet don't really have the personality to "boss" people around so to speak.
WOW much to learn you still have.

If I asked you if you hired an employee for your little business how would you decide who to hire. You would tell me {and I am 99% certain of this but with you 1%ers its hard to tell} you would take the best applicant you got. Yet somehow its ok to pick the best person for a job but not to pick the best person for a higher job?!?!?

What makes some better is open to discussion you'll probably talk about gender or race some other bs standard. But what stands out is an eye for detail the ability to follow directions to the letter. For many its being on time for me I never care about the last point I am use to being the smartest person in what ever room I am in so for me it's competence. If you show me time and time again you will pick the wrong way to do something that has the consequences that I saw miles away yet you somehow do not then yes you should not be management. And people like that are stepped over its not that they are bad people its just they do not have the ability to perform to the levels I would expect of someone in that position.

But more likely 2 people of similar ability's have massively different outcomes because one applies himself and one does the minimum. One tries to learn all he can about what makes something work and one spends his every moment dreaming of hanging out with his friends or gf. It's these differences that pop and it's never surprising who gets promoted and who doesn't
Old 12-25-2013, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
That's not what happens. Not most times.
Posted via Mobile Device

that's what i've always seen when i worked for other people. that's why i don't do it anymore.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
WOW much to learn you still have.

If I asked you if you hired an employee for your little business how would you decide who to hire. You would tell me {and I am 99% certain of this but with you 1%ers its hard to tell} you would take the best applicant you got. Yet somehow its ok to pick the best person for a job but not to pick the best person for a higher job?!?!?

What makes some better is open to discussion you'll probably talk about gender or race some other bs standard. But what stands out is an eye for detail the ability to follow directions to the letter. For many its being on time for me I never care about the last point I am use to being the smartest person in what ever room I am in so for me it's competence. If you show me time and time again you will pick the wrong way to do something that has the consequences that I saw miles away yet you somehow do not then yes you should not be management. And people like that are stepped over its not that they are bad people its just they do not have the ability to perform to the levels I would expect of someone in that position.

But more likely 2 people of similar ability's have massively different outcomes because one applies himself and one does the minimum. One tries to learn all he can about what makes something work and one spends his every moment dreaming of hanging out with his friends or gf. It's these differences that pop and it's never surprising who gets promoted and who doesn't
that's totally different since i don't already have anyone working for me. it would be starting from scratch. you can hire anyone you want. what's wrong is when you have a guy that's been working for you for 5 years and then you hire some new guy that's never worked for you or a guy that's been with you 1 year or so to be manager over him.

you act like it's wrong for a guy to have a life outside of his work? work is the least important thing in your life. especially for the 18-25 age range which is the age of most workers in this industry. all it's for is to pay the bills. they have things on their minds like getting married and so forth. there are rare occasions where people's calling or passion like preaching, writing music, or making movies and such is their job. that's great but 99% of the people in this world don't have that luxury.

to most people, especially someone working for a lawn company, it's just another job to them. that's just reality.

i have a passion for mowing yards but i still get sick of it sometimes and wish i did something else. not all of us are just made to do one thing and one thing only the rest of our lives. we like variety.

Last edited by weeze; 12-25-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

^ I agree with you

Futher more. Just how far do you think you can move up in landscaping? People complain about having to pay $12 an hour there's not many that will pay 20+
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-25-2013, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
^ I agree with you

Futher more. Just how far do you think you can move up in landscaping? People complain about having to pay $12 an hour there's not many that will pay 20+
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you have employees's? And if you do do you pay them $20hr?