Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-30-2013, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
How long have you been in the lawn industry?
Uh, 20 years.
That's great.
I've got a trimmer here that needs new line in it. Can you handle it for me?
Yeah sure!
And 20 minutes later you finally say "You know maybe you should try to get a job somewhere else".
I've got a friend who does this. String a trimmer or put a blade on an edger. He says this weeds out people faster then anything.
I thought about just asking them to mow my yard and show them them to the mower, edger, trimmer, and blower.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

In colorado it seems almost all of us run wright stander mowers and so the first I require is that they have knowledge to run a stander which to run one is not hard but to run it in straight lines and evenly control the machine it take time so when they show up I spend about 30 seconds talking to them and put them on the 52 inch stander full throttle and have them cut on my 3 acre property I can tell with in about 10 min if they really do have the experience they said they did if they pass that then they must string my trimmer and trim sume only after they complete both mower and trimmer will I talk and 80 percent dont make it 2 min on the mower and of the 20 that do 10 cant string a trimmer so that weeds out a lot of the crap not all but I find it a good place to start
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2014, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtruck789 View Post
In colorado it seems almost all of us run wright stander mowers and so the first I require is that they have knowledge to run a stander which to run one is not hard but to run it in straight lines and evenly control the machine it take time so when they show up I spend about 30 seconds talking to them and put them on the 52 inch stander full throttle and have them cut on my 3 acre property I can tell with in about 10 min if they really do have the experience they said they did if they pass that then they must string my trimmer and trim sume only after they complete both mower and trimmer will I talk and 80 percent dont make it 2 min on the mower and of the 20 that do 10 cant string a trimmer so that weeds out a lot of the crap not all but I find it a good place to start
Posted via Mobile Device
Dang, I'd fail that test. I've got about 5 hours on a stander and I'm still shaky on it.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 01-01-2014, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
Dang, I'd fail that test. I've got about 5 hours on a stander and I'm still shaky on it.
Lol it always blows my mind with people I tell them they have to have experience with a stander because 90 percent of what we mow is with standers and they tell me all the time that they have all kinds of experience with one then you put them on the 52 full throttle and they take off by pressing all the way forward and the front wheels come off the ground and they almost fall off lol I just look at them and wonder sometimes I want to tell look just be honest I know you need the work and I need the help and you could of been honest and told me look I need the work but I dont no how to drive a stander ive got x number of years worth of experience to offer you and if given the chance I will learn quickly. If someone told me that the respect I would have for being truthful would get you at least a opportunity but know who would ever think like that haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-07-2014, 05:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I mean even if the guy had enough sense to go slow knowing he didn't have enough experience, I would know he had some amount of common sense.