Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-01-2014, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My opinion of mowers

I Have just finished 7 years of mowing. I started small with an old Toro WB 44. I used to think EXmark was the only way to go and bought a 66 with a Triton deck. I supplemented that with a Toro 48 Grandstand. A good combination. I bought the Grandstand before Exmark had the Vantage. This year I Felt I needed to go to standing full time because of my arthritis and deliberated over a 60 Grandstand or Exmark Vantage. I came to the conclusion after testing both that the Toro had the best cutting deck and went with it.

The reason I posted this is because you can find many posts on here from me extolling the virtues of Exmark. I am just sorry I didn't realize Toro was the right mower for me a lot sooner.

Now everybody has an opinion about every mower and the truth is that no matter what you get, you make your mower work. You learn what to do with your mower in every condition. All mowers have their good points and bad
Old 01-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Sponsor

I believe that is one of the main reasons Toro bought out Exmark a few years back. Eliminate your competitor while still maintaining your market share and acquire new market share.
easy-lift guy
Old 01-01-2014, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I think you are right I run Exmark and used to think Toro was junk but I demoed a Grandstand and a 5000 series Z-Master and I was impressed!!!! my next mower while most likely be a Grandstand.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Toro has owned exmark for several decades at this point... it isn't " a few years back"

I know it was the same company in 2001. And Im sure it was that way for at least a few years before that....not sure how far back the buy out goes. but it's older than most people on this board have been in the green industry.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Toro has owned exmark for several decades at this point... it isn't " a few years back"

I know it was the same company in 2001. And Im sure it was that way for at least a few years before that....not sure how far back the buy out goes. but it's older than most people on this board have been in the green industry.
Funny how time flys by, glad your keeping up with it for the board.
easy-lift guy
Old 01-01-2014, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post

Your correct, Toro acquired wheelhouse in 1986, lawn boy in 1989, Exmark in 1997 and Hayter in 2005 and several irrigation company's along the way.
Blowers:Stihl BR 600 BR 600 BR 200 Trimmers: Stihl FS 110 Stihl FS 90
Edgers: Stihl FC 90&75 Echo BRD 280 Pole Saw: Stihl HT 75 Hedge Trimmer: Stihl HL 45 HS 45
Old 01-01-2014, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just wish that you could get Turf Tracers with Toro's deck or something like a Scag Velocity deck. Don't get me wrong, I think the Ultra Cut deck leaves behind a fabulous cut -- probably better in "perfect" conditions than any other deck on the market. But, on those damp mornings and "juicy" spring lawns, the clumping gets on my nerves. However, unless Toro starts selling the Turf Tracer in its lineup or Exmark gives another deck option, I will have to live with it because I still think the Exmark Turf Tracer is the best walkbehind out there. My opinion.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddixon7 View Post
I just wish that you could get Turf Tracers with Toro's deck or something like a Scag Velocity deck. Don't get me wrong, I think the Ultra Cut deck leaves behind a fabulous cut -- probably better in "perfect" conditions than any other deck on the market. But, on those damp mornings and "juicy" spring lawns, the clumping gets on my nerves. However, unless Toro starts selling the Turf Tracer in its lineup or Exmark gives another deck option, I will have to live with it because I still think the Exmark Turf Tracer is the best walkbehind out there. My opinion.
If you go with a grandstand, you will wonder why your ever wanted a walk behind in the first place. And its not a rutting issue. Thats a crock. And the prices are so close it doesn't matter.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric1 View Post
Your correct, Toro acquired wheelhouse in 1986, lawn boy in 1989, Exmark in 1997 and Hayter in 2005 and several irrigation company's along the way.
Toro was old hat irrigation, before irrigation was irrigation
They fell behind hunter and rain bird for a while but are back with a vengeance

My point was, arguing toro/ex mark quality has been as useless as trying to argue if a firebird was faster than a Camaro

Same dang machine

It's been like that since longer than most of us have been landscaping

For the life of me, I never understood why toro didn't try to make a run like john Deere landscapes did
Sell everything at the same place in one shot

Or have symbiot landscape network deal through toro
Since they have nearly everything a landscape company needs

But toro decides to be quiet

Turf tracer, lazer z all the stuff people think was so excellent about ex mark? All toro products
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2014, 03:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphied View Post
If you go with a grandstand, you will wonder why your ever wanted a walk behind in the first place. And its not a rutting issue. Thats a crock. And the prices are so close it doesn't matter.
No. Now, I wish I would have had a grandstand/vantage over my Lazer at times, but there is no replacement for my Turf Tracers for me. Just so much more versatile. There is not anything one can't cut with a walkbehind. I would like to supplement though with a stander. I could never completely replace my 60" Turf Tracers. I've just used them for decades now its just one of those things.