Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-21-2013, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Lawnworks View Post
I thought this would be a good discussion, as in most industries, each manufacturer has one or two product roll-outs or strategies that leaves you wondering what they were thinking (i.e. 4-cylinder Camaro in the 1980s').

2.) Lawn-Boy's discontinuance of the 2-cycle push (or self-propel) mower. These things were legendary. They could at least make a decent four-stroke push mower if the decision was really emissions-driven, but they can't even do that. The Insight series of push mowers was junk, as are the latest models that the new parent company (Toro, I believe?) is selling. Honestly, how hard is it to put a proven homeowner's grade engine on a sturdy deck with a blade under it?

4.) As far as the industry as a whole goes, I'm going to add the EPA's CARB gas cans. What a joke. Have the people writing the laws actually had to use one of these cans themselves? There is no reason why a simple plastic gas can in the 21st century should have safety locks or vapor control devices (unless they actually didn't cause you to spill more fuel than a traditional fuel can).

5.) Ethanol! I don't think we've seen the tip of the iceberg with this stuff's propensity to degrade engine and fuel system components, either in the green or the automotive industry. When enough people realize that it's just welfare for mega-farms in a handful of politically-connected states, we'll end this nonsense.
Lawnboys.....Man I grew up in this industry using them...first 19's and then 21's get use to the stagger design and they were easy to push. M- series....man i thought it was sweet to only have to poor pure gas. All you had to do was fill up the 2 cycle oil every blue moon. THEN OYSTER MARINE SOLD TO TORO!.....Toro decided to stop the improvements because they just bought the company and never had any intention of keeping the brand a viable compitor to their commercial grade mowers using the 2 cycle suziki engines.(they sucked!)The coup de grass was when they decided to sell in the big box stores. Weststar (CA OR WA UT NV WY AZ CO...basicly the west of Rockies) told toro to come and get their rail cars of parts and mowers and take a hike... The irony is even though they became extinct here in CA, the small blocks are still manufactured here in FRemont. There are still the Japaneses, Basque and Mexicans still using 20 year old bodies and replacing engines when ever. And yes....toro didn't want to put the money into getting this machine to meet c.a.r.b. teir III level.

C.A.R.B. containers.....the best one out their and worth their wait in gold are the NoSpill brand gas cans. They were bought by Honda and are a Honda item also. 5 gal can to empty no more than 2.5 minutes. Other than that everything sucks!

Ethanol....well until we figure out a way so we don't breathe the pollution that is out their, then there has to be some kind of solution their. Until you see the smog that looks as bad a tule fog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tule_fog), you wouldn't understand the need to do something about it. Have 2 kids with asthma and you'll understand even more. Fouling spark plugs....seen that and haven't had a problem ever since I started using at least 89 octane gas. As far as destroying engines....well that's left to be seen....Here in CA, we had more of an issue with MTBE in our gas. Shhhhh.....the chemical cleaned our air.....but it poison our water supply.....this is one time that you should be happy CA is more progressive about air pollution.....they(law makers and Air Resource Board) didn't believe the states scientist that there was a strong provability it would poison our water supply.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ethanol has little to nothing to do with clean air. It has everything to do with a government program that lines certain peoples pockets with cash at our expense in the name of supposedly reducing our reliance on foreign oil. Don't drink the California Cool-Aid in thinking that everything is good for the environment.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

They should issue the Toro 21 mower with Bungees for the front wheel height adjusters.

Whole buncha crud
Old 01-15-2014, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

This is an interesting thread.
I totally disagree with standers being a waste. I've been using Wrights since '98 and as several before me have stated, each type of mower has it's place. I will add though that Wright has really screwed up by squaring off the deck on their new mowers.
I totally agree with green mulch, landscape fabric under mulch, plastic edging in northern climates, and ethanol (God save us when it goes to 15%).
How about a couple of others..... idiots running their bp blowers at full throttle at 7am resulting in blower bans, and the M&A craze of the 90's and 00's.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro 22040 2 cycle 21" mowers still have two left but on last leg
Old 02-25-2014, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
I am going to have to disagree with this one...standers are much more compact and lighter than a rider, and offer full view of the deck when mowing. I can duck under trees, get closer to obstacles, and turn around in smaller spaces. They are just as productive, if not more, on everything but very large, open properties. Standers are actually very comfortable, my back doesn't hurt after a full day on one. If i need to pick something up or get into trouble, i can just step off. Walk behinds are king of hills, no question about that, but they are slow. All 3 have their place in the industry, and for 90% of my mowing the stander is the way to go
Exactly! I've demoed a stander, and as soon as I can afford it, I'm switching from my Lazer to a Vantage. It's WAY more comfortable. A lot more efficient, too, for residential.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I go all Walk-Behinds
Old 02-25-2014, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

www.lawnteklandscapes.com
Old 02-25-2014, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just an FYI, there are many products that come from oil, including some of the ingredients in the food you eat. Fertilizers are also derived from oil.

https://www.google.com/search?q=food...from+crude+oil

Old 02-26-2014, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Losing Lesco. The real LESCO devoted to the applicator.

John Deere landscapes and there business model. Not knocking certain employees.

The 80's echo SRM2501 line trimmers were beast.

Losing OP'S like dursban and mainstay. Turf damaging insects had no chance.

Losing the old style lesco spreader.

Losing the hard to kill yellow with green lid Cooper-pegler diaphragm backpack sprayer. Had one for 22 years all original and abused hard. She killed alot of pest in 22 years.

Half time overtime, also known as Chinese overtime because we fell under agriculture? Doing residential? For TG??? Come on labor department catch up on my 80 hours a week at $3 something an hour.

Greg Norman zoysia. Original palmetto st augustine and muck based sod.

The late 80's F250 for leaving you dead in the water when it was just running great.
Posted via Mobile Device