Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-31-2013, 11:13 PM
205mx 205mx is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,815
Craigslist here will land you more calls than you can answer, but they diamonds in the rough are just that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-01-2014, 09:49 AM
TuffTurfLawnCare TuffTurfLawnCare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pittsburgh (South Hills)
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
Craigslist here will land you more calls than you can answer, but they diamonds in the rough are just that.
Posted via Mobile Device
This. A guy that owns a very successful LCO near me, and who was coaching me said it best. I want employees from craigslist who are looking to make $10/hr. I don't want clients from craigslist who are looking for the cheapest cut.
__________________
Just like everyone else on here, I have stuff that cuts, whacks, mows and blows. And way to haul it around.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-01-2014, 12:03 PM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 4,000
wait, you started this year, in under a year you had 50 customers, dropped them and picked up another $90??

What did you do? go from the $10 lawn special to the $5 lawn special??
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-01-2014, 08:20 PM
35DollarLawns 35DollarLawns is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tennessee/Greater Nashville area way south
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
wait, you started this year, in under a year you had 50 customers, dropped them and picked up another $90??

What did you do? go from the $10 lawn special to the $5 lawn special??
na i did nothing like you obviously would try.
I had a lot of two week cuts messing up my days . Quality sales all of my jobs for me now. I was driving all over he%*, I would guess 3 hours of my days and they were the " I will let you know kind of clients , or the I will pay next visit of ok .
It wasn't.
I dropped the advertisement in the local paper and started targeting clients I wanted ,not taking those looking for deals.

I even had a lady try the "my son mowed it two days ago for free he came in and it saved me money come back in two or three weeks when I think it will need it again. Knowing he cut it under 2" in the summer .

90 clients is not a lot in a year with all the guys I worked overall. It may sound it but 90 from 6+ guys talking isn't a lot .
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-01-2014, 08:24 PM
35DollarLawns 35DollarLawns is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tennessee/Greater Nashville area way south
Posts: 801
I personally like the respect a $ 60.00 fee gets to drop my gate. It stops all small talk from cheaps
Posted via Mobile DeviceGo see a few pics from this year at www.Facebook.com/prop.prfect
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-01-2014, 08:24 PM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35DollarLawns View Post
na i did nothing like you obviously would try.
I had a lot of two week cuts messing up my days . Quality sales all of my jobs for me now. I was driving all over he%*, I would guess 3 hours of my days and they were the " I will let you know kind of clients , or the I will pay next visit of ok .
It wasn't.
I dropped the advertisement in the local paper and started targeting clients I wanted ,not taking those looking for deals.

I even had a lady try the "my son mowed it two days ago for free he came in and it saved me money come back in two or three weeks when I think it will need it again. Knowing he cut it under 2" in the summer .

90 clients is not a lot in a year with all the guys I worked overall. It may sound it but 90 from 6+ guys talking isn't a lot .
Posted via Mobile Device
90 customers isn't a lot
Signing 140 clients in under a year is a lot

6 or more men to handle 90 weekly clients sounds like too many employees
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-01-2014, 08:28 PM
35DollarLawns 35DollarLawns is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tennessee/Greater Nashville area way south
Posts: 801
That's why boss you do you and I will do me, k
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-01-2014, 08:29 PM
DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: dennis ma.
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
90 customers isn't a lot
Signing 140 clients in under a year is a lot

6 or more men to handle 90 weekly clients sounds like too many employees
Posted via Mobile Device
140 in a year? Sounds crazy to me. 90 in a year sounds just as crazy!
Talk about huge growth from 0 accounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-01-2014, 08:33 PM
35DollarLawns 35DollarLawns is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tennessee/Greater Nashville area way south
Posts: 801
Yep.. I didn't know a soul either.Ö right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-02-2014, 01:13 AM
Middle Tennessee Lawn Middle Tennessee Lawn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Nashville
Posts: 221
Hard to remember my first year clearly now but times were much different than now there was no internet to be reputable and get work all you had to do was have a nice yellow page ad back then there was only one book too. Our first year we had about 330 customers note most were not lawn care customers they were driveway customers or parking lots. But it was much easier than now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 AM.

Page generated in 0.06955 seconds with 9 queries