Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-01-2014, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanncann View Post
What Dodge do you have and any pics...

Sure. Here's a link I posted pics when I bought it.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=403519
Old 01-01-2014, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
1) more manuverable /compact
2) to time wasted trying to hook up the truck to the trailer, or teach an employee how to do it
3) no time wasted backing up the trailer
4) nothing damaged by back up the trailer
5) truck suspension is better than trailer suspension so you dont have the machines bouncing all over hell and gone from speed bumps or pot holes
6) no broken trailer lights
7) no time/frustration wasted troubleshooting why trailer lights wont work
8) takes up less parking space in the yard
9) will haul way more weight than your trailer
10) you can still haul a trailer behind if you want/need to

btw a 2k trailer? where do you find a $2k trailer? some kind of single axle jobbie from lowes with no GVTW to speak of?

How many mowers can you fit on a $2k trailer?
I was just asking why it was worth $15k more? You obviously gave me your opinion on why you think it is better. I just dont see it. My guys have no trouble driving with the trailers on. That is a BIG truck that many guys would be intimidated to drive. And yes we can buy a 14ft trailer for $2k or a 16ft for $2400. A little 1500 would probly be cheaper to insure also.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is an awesome rig, we plan to switch to these type of trucks in the future. Only change i will make is adding a side dump to the front of the bed, we bag most of our lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2014, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYScapes View Post
I was just asking why it was worth $15k more? You obviously gave me your opinion on why you think it is better. I just dont see it. My guys have no trouble driving with the trailers on. That is a BIG truck that many guys would be intimidated to drive. And yes we can buy a 14ft trailer for $2k or a 16ft for $2400. A little 1500 would probly be cheaper to insure also.
You would be surprised @ what I pay for insurance... VERY LOW....
Old 01-01-2014, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
Sure. Here's a link I posted pics when I bought it.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=403519
I've got the Big Horn Edition and I love it, just not for work...
Old 01-01-2014, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's a 2012...
Old 01-02-2014, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallihergreen View Post
Randy Marion Chevrolet in Statesville, North Carolina has a new NPR 6.0L gas with 12' landscape bed for $35k. If you're up for a little drive.
I know his brother......Has a mulch blowing company here in Jacksonville, Fl.... ( and a fleet of landscape trucks...)... he is good people!
Old 01-02-2014, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
You say you have these mythically competent men who are above industry standards if capability with a trailer , but the same drivers would be intimidated by "such a large truck"
That's an oxymoron
Like saying I have the best drivers, they drive neons , but they can't drive station wagons.

The green industry as a whole moved to cab over trucks in the last decade and a half
They by far have more utility, less maintenance and less cost of ownership than any truck/trailer combo
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2014, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
You say you have these mythically competent men who are above industry standards if capability with a trailer , but the same drivers would be intimidated by "such a large truck"
That's an oxymoron
Like saying I have the best drivers, they drive neons , but they can't drive station wagons.

The green industry as a whole moved to cab over trucks in the last decade and a half
They by far have more utility, less maintenance and less cost of ownership than any truck/trailer combo
Posted via Mobile Device
I didnt say MY guys would be intimidated to drive it I said "many guys" in general. Hey if they would save money then I am all for it. Im not saying you are wrong, but are there any side by side comparisons on costs? $15k is alot of money to make up. What is the average life span on one of those? I guess if you say its 10 years, then you would only have to save $1500/yr minimum to make it the better option. You think it would save $1500/yr?
Old 01-02-2014, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I didnt say MY guys would be intimidated to drive it I said "many guys" in general. Hey if they would save money then I am all for it. Im not saying you are wrong, but are there any side by side comparisons on costs? $15k is alot of money to make up. What is the average life span on one of those? I guess if you say its 10 years, then you would only have to save $1500/yr minimum to make it the better option. You think it would save $1500/yr?
I am kinda with you that platform has limited space for mowers. We carry 2 36" units, a 48" vride and a 21". We got multiple trailers for hauling limbs, mulch, a dump trailer. Crew unhook and get another trailer as needed. And most people want crew cab, not 2 door.and gas mileage on a big engine probably less than 10mpg.