Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-02-2014, 02:41 AM
Hope Landscaping's Avatar
Hope Landscaping Hope Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lewisville, Texas
Posts: 241
What kind of issues, on the hosting side?

How is it an SEO nightmare?
__________________
www.hopelandscaping.net
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-02-2014, 09:48 AM
tonygreek's Avatar
tonygreek tonygreek is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Landscaping View Post
What kind of issues, on the hosting side?
Downtime and latency are two great examples (I see this all the time.). As the 24/7 marketing face of your business, it would be like if your customer service people or call center were to wait 8 rings to answer the phone, if they did at all. What results from that?

Re: your own site, if you're not aware, you have what looks to be well over 1,000 other sites sharing your IP address. It comes down to what GoDaddy is actually doing, in terms of clustered servers and distribution, that matters. I'm not confident in what support might tell you about that. I know what I see with my own eyes, however.

Another quick note, your web site seems to have a very wide fixed width set, requiring me to scroll to the right to see your full content. My laptop display is 1366px wide, your site is set to 1504px wide.
__________________
a guy who knows the lawn industry, branding, and web strategy
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-02-2014, 10:17 AM
headz77's Avatar
headz77 headz77 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PDX, OR
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Landscaping View Post
What kind of issues, on the hosting side?

How is it an SEO nightmare?
Tony addressed the hosting problems. Besides what he mentions they have had some pretty high profile failures- literally every site was down.

There site builder (and to varying degrees other site builders) make it difficult to ensure you have the right Title tags, H1, H2, H3, image alt, and other tags. Do they make it easy to incorporate the publisher and authorship tags? If you have a blog as part of the site, does it get the article markup?

Do a search "city landscaper". Make the city over 500,00 in population. Any Godaddy sites on page 1? Probably not. I don't think there is one on the first 4 pages in my market!

Just to be clear- I am sure that some smaller companies in smaller markets could do fine w Godaddy. But there are better choices if you can spend just a little more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-02-2014, 10:26 AM
inzane's Avatar
inzane inzane is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, GA
Posts: 1,572
what about WIX? I have seen a few wix sites that rank well. they mostly look like garbage though.. My friend with a cell phone repair business used wix, and he actually put together a pretty decent looking site with it, and it ranked well too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
Go Daddy has lots of issues on the hosting side- at least for the cheap programs.

The builder produces cookie cutter sites that are a SEO nightmare.

That does not mean that you couldn't have any success with them. However, if you want organic search success and/or a site that can grow as your company does- then Go Daddy is not for you.

All the site builders have limitations. Squarespace is by the far the best though.
Posted via Mobile Device
__________________

Servicing Dallas, Acworth, Kennesaw, & Woodstock, Ga
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-02-2014, 10:32 AM
PaperCutter PaperCutter is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,333
I used to be with GoDaddy and I didn't get what people were complaining about. Then my site started randomly going down. Then my load times got ridiculous. I called tech support and they said I should be on their "grid" hosting, they said they switched me over and things improved a little for a bit. Then it got slow again, even worse this time, and they said they'd migrate me to a different server. This cycle went on and on before I got sick and tired of it, when I had two weeks of the tech support folks saying "our engineers know there's a problem, they're working on it." Well that's great, meanwhile I'm getting killed out here with no one able to load my site.

Dumping GoDaddy is the smart move.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-02-2014, 10:59 AM
inzane's Avatar
inzane inzane is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, GA
Posts: 1,572
i really like your site. who is hosting it now? it seems a little sluggish right now, i was navigating through it. I want to switch from godaddy soon as well. while i've never had any problems with the web hosting being slow since my little wordpress issue, the e-mail is a downright rip-off, and can't believe i'm paying for that.. tech support pretty much says thats just "how it is.." sometimes it takes hours for the e-mails to go through, i had to re-direct my estimate request forms to go to my gmail just to make sure i got them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
I used to be with GoDaddy and I didn't get what people were complaining about. Then my site started randomly going down. Then my load times got ridiculous. I called tech support and they said I should be on their "grid" hosting, they said they switched me over and things improved a little for a bit. Then it got slow again, even worse this time, and they said they'd migrate me to a different server. This cycle went on and on before I got sick and tired of it, when I had two weeks of the tech support folks saying "our engineers know there's a problem, they're working on it." Well that's great, meanwhile I'm getting killed out here with no one able to load my site.

Dumping GoDaddy is the smart move.
__________________

Servicing Dallas, Acworth, Kennesaw, & Woodstock, Ga
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-02-2014, 12:23 PM
PaperCutter PaperCutter is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,333
It's a local web co that rents space from rackspace.com. PM me if you want their info. The lag on the site right now is most likely due to some plugin issues (it's a WordPress site) that I haven't yet resolved. Maybe that'll be today's project, since I blew out my back yesterday and am stuck at home.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-02-2014, 12:44 PM
tonygreek's Avatar
tonygreek tonygreek is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,634
I now have a strict policy of not working with any clients that refuse to move from GoDaddy. Of our current roster, we have exactly one who is on GD, but the New Year's Resolution is to move all of his sites off (several WP sites). When I have to log in to their site mgt and email interface, I would rather just go lay in the dentist's chair. Just painful.

For hosting that won't break the bank, my current (and still) #1 is ASmallOrange.com (intuitive interface, stellar support, inexpensive). I've listed my favorite hosts before, and my only change is that I've moved MediaTemple off my list, and pulled my remaining, larger sites from them, when GoDaddy purchased MT in Q4 2013. I prefer to be proactive rather than to see if/when they get GoDaddy'd.
__________________
a guy who knows the lawn industry, branding, and web strategy
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-02-2014, 01:54 PM
headz77's Avatar
headz77 headz77 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PDX, OR
Posts: 592
Wix, from my research, is very easy to use. You can produce some nice looking sites. And SEO has improved greatly. If you look into them, you will find people saying that google can't crawl them- that is no longer true.

Wix seems like a viable option, but I have not personally used them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Hope Landscaping's Avatar
Hope Landscaping Hope Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lewisville, Texas
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
I now have a strict policy of not working with any clients that refuse to move from GoDaddy. Of our current roster, we have exactly one who is on GD, but the New Year's Resolution is to move all of his sites off (several WP sites). When I have to log in to their site mgt and email interface, I would rather just go lay in the dentist's chair. Just painful.

For hosting that won't break the bank, my current (and still) #1 is ASmallOrange.com (intuitive interface, stellar support, inexpensive). I've listed my favorite hosts before, and my only change is that I've moved MediaTemple off my list, and pulled my remaining, larger sites from them, when GoDaddy purchased MT in Q4 2013. I prefer to be proactive rather than to see if/when they get GoDaddy'd.
I would not mind moving from GD, I chose them when I first started up because I was hosting my email, etc. I have never had a problem with them but I realize it's not great for SEO. I slowly have gotten familiar with SEO somewhat, and wouldn't mind looking at other options. The bummer is I just renewed my annual website fee. Is there anyway around that, and who would be your top choice to host/build a website. I don't have time or knowledge to build a website from scratch, so any advice or guidance would be appreciated... thanks
__________________
www.hopelandscaping.net
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 AM.

Page generated in 0.07186 seconds with 9 queries