Register free!

Old 12-29-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The product I'm thinking of is a granular I believe.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think I see more moles than voles. I say this because we will see tunnels but no real turf damage. Seems the voles would eat turf roots.

I've had a record number of customers ask me about what to do. I have emailed the wildlife commission about trapping permits but think they only issue them to homeowners. I tell them they can try repellents and vibrator devices but that it might not work. Last thing I need is to offer a service putting out windmills and vibrators in lawns only to fail at getting rid of moles.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Odd...there is a company only about 2 miles from my house that makes animal repellant products like "Scoot Mole".
http://scootproducts.com/index.php?p...mart&Itemid=37

I am a bit skeptical about repellants, but it has one nice feature that I really like. They have a granular formulation. This means that it is quick and easy to apply with a spreader. Ten minutes and done. Leave the bill. Reseal the bag and put it behind the seat, then on to the next stop. Naturally, you never want to guarantee anything like this, and you want to strongly recommend windmills or battery-operated sonic repellers in conjunction with the granules. So you always have an out--by blaming the vibrators--"they never last long enough."
Old 12-30-2013, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The product is mole max. My supplier recommended it to a customer of his (a homeowner?) and the product worked great. Only problem is it can repel them to unwanted areas. Follow directions and you should be ok. Ive never used it.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

With repellents do you apply to the entire lawn or just the area the are in? Seems you would need to apply to entire lawn and possibly beds to repell them off your customers property
Old 12-30-2013, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would since they will just infest a different area of the property. Send them to the neighbors yard! As always read the the label.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Odd...there is a company only about 2 miles from my house that makes animal repellant products like "Scoot Mole".
http://scootproducts.com/index.php?p...mart&Itemid=37

I am a bit skeptical about repellants, but it has one nice feature that I really like. They have a granular formulation. This means that it is quick and easy to apply with a spreader. Ten minutes and done. Leave the bill. Reseal the bag and put it behind the seat, then on to the next stop. Naturally, you never want to guarantee anything like this, and you want to strongly recommend windmills or battery-operated sonic repellers in conjunction with the granules. So you always have an out--by blaming the vibrators--"they never last long enough."

Talk about Black Magic, Scoot® Mole Advantages:
- Castor Oil with Stronger Garlic Formula I guess the Garlic is to keep away the Undead moles that like to drink blood.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We need some experiments. I caught a live mole years ago. I put it on a concrete drive, and then drew a circle around it with some kind of castor oil mole repellent around it full strength, undiluted right from the bottle. I wanted to determine if the mole would cross this highly concentrated mole chaser. Yup! He crossed it instantly.

Everyone: If you catch a mole. Try some experiments. I think I tried to feed the mole grubs and worms--my memory is a bit foggy from 20 years ago, but I think I recall the mole ate the worms with relish. Not so sure about the grubs. The Nash trap with the two wire nooses is best for this purpose--as the mole sometimes survives for a few hours. Send me a message if you want my video of a live mole in a trap. Gross.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Solution for moles and voles?

I have used Liquid Fence Mole repellant. I've sprayed it on 4 properties now and it's worked. I tell customers that there is no guarantee. 3 oz of product per 1k sqft. I've only done one application per property worked all year long. Each one of these properties were completely like walking on a memory foam bath mat, each step was like walking on air and sinking 2" into a cloud.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried the smoke bombs that u put in the tunnels? I thought about buying some in bulk and when a customer asks about mole control just give them a couple to try. if it works for them, they can buy their own at Ace hardware. I am like OP, I don't want to sell a service with results that cant be guaranteed.