Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-02-2014, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes the downtime of the winter season and the Holidays can help our minds wander. This is a great reminder to get back to the basics. After all, this is just grass! It grows in the cracks in the sidewalks!

Most lawns I see that need imporvement aren't being mowed frequently enough, are over- or under-fertilized, and are very compacted.

Use this time in the winter to plan out an optimal fert program. Get your mower ready for spring and resolve to mow it frequently enough in the summer, even though its tough to keep up with. Core aerate in the summer (St. Aug, right?).

It's just grass! Don't overthink it!
Old 01-02-2014, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't think it would help much but it did. I had a large area of SA that just seemed weak. Decent runners, but fewer, thinner blades that grew noticeably slower than rest of yard. I ran the verti in one direction, fairly shallow and raked up the debris. Normal fert and water. It now looks like the rest of the lawn. I did it last spring and with this hot wet summer recovered just fine. Not a fan of core aeration for two reasons. Sandy soil fills back in quick and shallow irrigation systems everywhere today.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 01-02-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Usually any dethatching occurs when grass is activly growing which is summer for Bermuda or Zoysia north of the mason dixon line. Do not deal with SA in the north. I usually do not sell aerating as thatch management do to spacing of tines and minimal impact on thatch. Aeration is compaction related not thatch management.

The Arena, the Field of Battle, the site where the fight actually takes place is our own heart and all of our Inner Man. The time of Battle is our whole life.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mscotrid View Post
Usually any dethatching occurs when grass is activly growing which is summer for Bermuda or Zoysia north of the mason dixon line. Do not deal with SA in the north. I usually do not sell aerating as thatch management do to spacing of tines and minimal impact on thatch. Aeration is compaction related not thatch management.
That's just it...Aeration is for compaction. It goes hand in hand with VC on sports turf. I still believe it should be done routinely on St. Augustine as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2014, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Spring for all. Wide space and unidirection for SA. Narrow and bidirectional for all others. Bagger cut or BG for clean up.
Posted via Mobile Device
How long would you wait to verticut? Our grass is starting to come out of dormancy, would you wait till it is completely greened up?
Old 03-13-2014, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would wait a little more and throw in an aeration with your soils. A good starter fert and water and she should take off like gangbusters.
Posted via Mobile Device