Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2014, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

"So the problem is that because Volt doesn't have any kind of contractor discount, they take all that mark-up away from the contractor. Now, instead of making 60-100% mark-up, you're making 0%."

Jim, This is fuzzy reasoning: Volt doesn't take markup away from the contractor. They don't dictate your markup. You can still add any amount of markup you choose just as you do for Kichler or any other.

I don't care what product you're selling in what industry, 0% is a crappy deal for you. Sure, your bids are a lot more competitive now. Maybe that equates to you landing a few more lighting jobs. But at what cost? At HUGE cost to you. While the rest of us are making good money at lighting, you're making a whole lot less."

Again, this brings up the old debate about whether contractors are selling fixtures or selling our design and installation expertise. What if, in landscaping, your nursery supplier sells you a plant for $xxxx and the client can buy that same plant (and I do mean [U]same[U] plant) for a couple dollars more at the local big box store. What do you do about markup in that case?

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."