Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-02-2012, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see they changed the motor mounting on the Power Chutes a few years ago so the motor can be rotated and mounted in about 4 different positions so it won't interfer with belts covers and things now.
John Deere G-15 WB
Echo PAS-260 Power Heads
Echo Trimmers / Blowers / Edgers
Coralville, Iowa
Old 09-02-2012, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I'm right behind you. I couldn't go without my PC. I opted for the toggle switch and it went bad after 2 years. I called, he gave me the part number and I called the local Napa and got the exact switch for $7-8. Outside of that. I've beat the crap out of mine and bent the cover a few times. I just bend it back and it's good.
Orangemower, do you by chance have the part number for the toggle switch? Thanks.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just looked and can't find the end of the box it came in with the number and brand. I think it was Filco or something like that. Norm might come on here and post it. If I could find it, I'd post it.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Long term I been running a Chute Blocker since 1995 all my mowers has them I dont under stand why other Mower companies Dont put them on from factory like Dixie Chopper does
Old 01-04-2014, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Motors stopped working after three weeks this year

I've used powerchute for a few years now and loved them. Motors usually last at least a season. This season we couldn't get them to go more than 3 weeks. That was with experienced riders too.

Something changed and I can't keep using these when they fail so quickly. I'd love to know if anyone found a replacement motor that works long term! Or, a different company unit that I can switch too.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
I've used powerchute for a few years now and loved them. Motors usually last at least a season. This season we couldn't get them to go more than 3 weeks. That was with experienced riders too.

Something changed and I can't keep using these when they fail so quickly. I'd love to know if anyone found a replacement motor that works long term! Or, a different company unit that I can switch too.
Are the replacement motors from Powerchute? If not, that may be part of the problem. There are numerous options for riders.

You are correct that the motors are the weakest link.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2014, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Member

If you guys are going threw motors like that,your doing something wrong,my worker has bent the chute in half twice and just bent it to many times to count,ive never had one issue with the motor other than loose wires,i even power wash the thing once a week.I put 700 hours a year on a mower and this chute has been threw 3 mowers.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to agree with the OP. The idea is great, but, the execution and owner leave a lot to be desired. If one has the audacity to charge me $365 for something, it should be a bolt-on affair. The directions were very vague and had to call them for clarification. That resulted in a conversation with a condescending man and me having to "clock" the motor. He knew the application and knew it had to be clocked, so clock it when installing the motor. The flap was bent. The paint was so wet when I took it out of the box, it actually stuck to my fingers and to the shipping material. There's no refined way to route the power cord. A few brackets designed to the model of mower would be nice. The bracket on the PC is such that I ended up drilling my deck's flange and then grinding the holes vertically upward to create slots. Only about 3/4 of the nuts are actually contacting the flange, when the bottom of the PC flap is flush with the bottom of the deck. The linkage is chintzy. It wouldn't be too difficult or expensive to make a linkage out of tubing and rod-ends. And, I too dislike the slots in the flap. When I pulled the thing from the box, I immediately thought I could do it better for the same money. I have access to a laser table, CNC brake, and TIG/MIG welders. If I ever purchase a new mower, I may make my own, as an OCDC has proven invaluable. I've picked up new accounts, because customers see the benefits of me mowing with it.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 01-04-2014, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a guy locally who is trying to build an oc/dc using a garage door motor. Looks like it will be a lot more durable. He needs to do some more work on his prototype though.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catpride22 View Post
If you guys are going threw motors like that,your doing something wrong,my worker has bent the chute in half twice and just bent it to many times to count,ive never had one issue with the motor other than loose wires,i even power wash the thing once a week.I put 700 hours a year on a mower and this chute has been threw 3 mowers.
I guarantee it's not user error or damage. We've used Power Chute motors for a long time. It wasn't until June/July/August 2013 that we started getting motors shipped to us from them that stop working after 2-3 weeks. We tore them apart and there is a piece that is made out of a very soft metal. It's the part that has a near rectangular opening for a shaft, but the motors will bend that piece so the shaft just spins freely. The older motors were using a different stronger metal for that part.

We broke open three of them trying to find a way to rig that part so it will work, but haven't been successful so far.

I emailed the guy at power chute and he just sent back the same copy paste email I've seen listed on his site. I know these motors and I know my guys and myself. The motors are crap...the ones shipped this summer. I have three mowers using them. This season I BOUGHT SEVEN. YES SEVEN motors!!!!! They all broke in less than three weeks.

Previous to this season I had motors that lasted more than a whole season.

It's not user error. It's defective motors. I doubt I am the only one this season that had that problem.