Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-31-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pro-walk 52, Pro-stance 52, and Pro-turn 152.

I hate to be that guy to beat a dead horse, but I really cannot make up my mind on what to get. I just recently acquired a bunch of accounts for this upcoming season in a new area that I am expanding to, and I think to be as efficient as possible I should get another mower since my schedule is going to be very full.

Most of the lawns that I picked up are under an acre, which is much different than my current accounts that are mostly over an acre, which is why I have a gravely 460 right now.

I really like the gravely lineup and I like my local dealer so I really want to get another gravely. I just need one that is smaller and more agile to compliment my 460, and also one that is much lighter for the small well manicured delicate lawns that I will be doing. And the reason I even put in the walkbehind as an option is because I have a couple small properties with a few hills and not sure if that would be the best option, it is also considerably cheaper and lighter.. It will also be an employee run machine for the most part, which is why I considered the 152 ztr instead of a full blown cadillac 460. I am really leaning towards a stander but I have never had one before, but hear they can save a lot of time over a ztr on properties smaller than an acre.

What would you guys get in my situation?
Old 12-31-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I should also add that the exmark walkbehind in my signature is pretty much toast, it needs lots of work and it is a belt drive which i have never really liked compared to a hydro, looking to sell that or possibly fix it as a backup.

And the 52 exmark Lazer z HP is only worth around 4k fixed up, and it needs all new wheel motors and hydro pumps and a starter, about 3-3.5k for a mower that has 1700 hours on it... thinking it would be smarter to offload real cheap and get a new machine. Because like I said, I am going to be very busy so efficiency is a high priority, as well as a new dependable mower.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you not have any gates to go through? Looking at your equipment list, I don't see a 36" or smaller. I guess, that's where I'd be looking.

I demoed Wright and eXmark standers. Be sure to demo one, before you consider a purchase. They're definitely different and have a learning curve.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 01-01-2014, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do have a few gates to go through, some of them are double gates and I can get my big mower back there, but some I have to use my 21 push behinds.. gates aren't my biggest concern tough its the size of the actual property.. we do not have too many gates here. Out of my 80 or so properties, maybe 9 have gates and 5 that a big mower cannot fit through
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2014, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I dont know your customer base or line up well, but it sounds like you have some older machines and are looking for a bit more compact/versatility.

If you are not a good mower mechanic and don't have the extra time to sit there and wrench.
check with your dealer and see if he's willing to take the old stuff in on trade and then buy some new stuff off his floor.

Since gravely is your choice.

A 52" rider and a 36" walk behind will do most residential stuff.

It's possible you might want to look at 32" or 34" units depending on gates in your area.

If you have bigger yards, get a sulky (wright makes the best one with the velke in my opinion)

The 36" with a velke can cut the heck out of smaller spaces like a front yard, while the 52" bangs out the back yards.
When the 36" is finished, guy parks it and picks up a weed whacker.

This combo is a tired and true platform of productivity I have been using for over a decade.

Trust me, Ill get a 36" WB any day over the 48" or 52" walk behinds or standers, unless I'm buying one machine for my main production unit (but you'll already have a 52" rider")

The walk behind will be more manuverable and get hills and ditches and other odd places the larger units and stand ons will not.

But my vote, listening to you, would be dump the old machines, and buy two new ones... Gravely 152 and a 36" WB with velke.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I too will be buying a Gravel Pro Stance or Pro Walk soon. As you know I have a lot of time on standers and WB's. Standers are extremely efficient on 1/2 acre and bellow properties. But they will not replace a WB on steep NH hills. So if you have some hills to mow go with the WB. If most of your new properties are flat go with the stander which will do better on hills than a ZTR. Honestly I would own both if I could to compliment my 452.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2014, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would go pro walk. Gravely Pro Walks are great mowers and imho everyone needs a good 48 or 52 inch hydro walk for hills and smaller properties.