Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-05-2014, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Need input on the Scag V Ride!!!

Can anyone who has used the mowers please tell me your thoughts on it, especially as compared to a ZTM? Really toying with getting one used...
Old 01-05-2014, 06:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsullards View Post
Can anyone who has used the mowers please tell me your thoughts on it, especially as compared to a ZTM? Really toying with getting one used...
I have a 52" one. After using a ZTR and WB I gave it a try and won't go back. They are the best combination of mower out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2014, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's what I started with and I'm very happy I didn't go with the WB route. They do not replace a large ztr on large properties. They are good up to 2 acres. Take the front weight off ASAP.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2014, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bought one in December best mower I have ever bought. I don't use my walk behind at all. It's fast and smooth, great cut it's a well build mower.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well I will be the one to go against the grain. We have one and hate it but its one of the older models. Safety was in the foot plate so when you go over rough yards and its bouncing you around the engine is constantly cutting out. Welds broke on the arms that the chains connect to deck. it will NEVER do what a walk behind will with ditching and steep hillsides.

Agree it is def a good happy middle between sit down and walk behind. We will be getting rid of ours. We still believe for our situation sit downs are better for us and for ditching and steep area we use our walk behinds.

Everybody is different and not all areas are the same either. This info coming from a die hard scag fan and have two crews running the tiger cats with 61velocity................. Demo one...... Everyone is different.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the new model and it runs great no cutting out with the new safety. But try one out because everyone is different with there level of comfort.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2014, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks fellas. Did try demoing the mower and its a bit a learning curve for me. Don't have a good feel for it yet and curious on input from users.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcrazy View Post
well I will be the one to go against the grain. We have one and hate it but its one of the older models. Safety was in the foot plate so when you go over rough yards and its bouncing you around the engine is constantly cutting out. Welds broke on the arms that the chains connect to deck. it will NEVER do what a walk behind will with ditching and steep hillsides.

Agree it is def a good happy middle between sit down and walk behind. We will be getting rid of ours. We still believe for our situation sit downs are better for us and for ditching and steep area we use our walk behinds.

Everybody is different and not all areas are the same either. This info coming from a die hard scag fan and have two crews running the tiger cats with 61velocity................. Demo one...... Everyone is different.
I demoed one and similar results except the welds breaking as I didn't have it that long. I also had to readjust myself all the time on hills. I was wore out by the time I got done with 2 yards. I bought 2 exmark vantages. no problems with them at all and don't need to move and hang over the side if the machine to keep it from sliding off the hill
Old 01-07-2014, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsullards View Post
Thanks fellas. Did try demoing the mower and its a bit a learning curve for me. Don't have a good feel for it yet and curious on input from users.
Well, if this tells you anything, I gave up on the mower long ago but still have one of my guys run it. It took him a good while to really get good with it now though. I asked him at the end of the year if he was liking it more now that hes used to it. He looked at me and didn't say anything for a few seconds, slowly put on a smile and said, "don't buy another one"........ He snickered a little bit and said when its upgrade time just get another suspension seat tiger cat and we can all be happy. So, that's what I will do. He is a family member so he can get away with putting my equipment down. We have run tons of different mowers and this one is by far and away our most hated mower but I just don't think we like ANY stand ons. We just would rather be zero turns and walk behinds for ditching. Its funny how some folks say its easier to teach someone to run a stand on than a zero turn. I find that completely backwards when hiring newbys. Don't get me wrong they all seem to take time to not tear up the yards when turning but that's with either one of them.

Mowers that I in the end like are mowers that I can jump on and be comfortable from the get go. I hate having to keep pressure pushed on the levers of the v ride. at the end of the day mowing his forearms are WORN OUT and that was my gripe to but that I feel is all these standons.

Several folks love this machine so don't go off my opinion, but if I ran a mower for a few days of demo and didn't feel comfortable yet I sure as hell wouldn't buy it.