Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-05-2014, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Going for my Class B CDL

Hey guys, for those of you who do not know I am 18 and started my business when I was 15. Ive been pretty slow lately this winter outside of helping my dad push snow so I looked into getting a CDL. I figured in the winter time UPS, Petro Oil, and other companies hire on drivers because of the high demand around the Holiday Season. I live in Maryland so the requirements for the Class B CDL is to be 18 for in state and to pass a physical as well as a written and on road skills test. I was just curious if anyone of you have experience with going down this road and if there were any companies that have classes and take you through the whole experience. I do not have a truck under CDL so I would have to rent one or find out if one of my dads friends would let me borrow theirs. I have access to practice with a CDL truck through a local farmer who has 3 tri-axle dump trucks. Any experiences or suggestions would be great!

Thanks
Mike

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Don't plan on driving hazmat until you're 21, I'd get the book, then you're permit. Practice with the tri axle and borrow it for your test that's what I did.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2014, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Im 31 and have had my class a cdl since I turned 18. I grew up on a farm so it was a necessity for me to have one. Now in December and January I haul grain instead of sitting around and waiting on snow. Guaranteed income.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Don't plan on driving hazmat until you're 21, I'd get the book, then you're permit. Practice with the tri axle and borrow it for your test that's what I did.
Posted via Mobile Device
I know, I plan on hauling grain for the farmer until I am 21 and I have a few friends who work for UPS who could put my name in. I would use the triaxle for the test but it is under farm tags and is only supposed to be used to move crop. Plus it would need thousands of dollars in work to pass their inspection.

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't think ups is going to let a part time employe drive there trucks most part timers are the package boy while the full time drives and logs the packages.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
Don't think ups is going to let a part time employe drive there trucks most part timers are the package boy while the full time drives and logs the packages.
You are probably right but you never know. If you have enough experience and references then I am sure they would hire part time help to drive.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try and find a truck with air brakes to practice and take the test with. If not you will be limited to trucks without air brakes after your class B endorsement.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Read the book,read the book, read the book then get your learners. Find a driving school to get your driving time in to start with and drive with anyone that you can . Have the driving school take you with their truck for the test. These schools have the trucks set up to make things as simple as possible. It will end up costing you around 1200-1600 dollars . The schools and instructors know what the guys at DMV are looking for and will tell you which location is strict on what and how they want things worded on your pre trip. If I were you just get your A rather then having to go back thru to get it
Old 01-06-2014, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, get the class A and be done with it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2014, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
my wife was an engineer for UPS and they don't hire class b drivers for winter, they'll contract out for trucks. And you'd need a class A regardless.