Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-04-2014, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Member

6.4L or 7.3L?

Both are Diesels. Which one should I choose?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2014, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Newest 7.3 is 12 years old. People claim best motor ford made. It a good motor but we have had great luck out of our 6.4
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2014, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

6.4L or 7.3L?

I just put $18000 into my 7.3. They are all getting old now. My next truck will be gas and new. Diesel is more money here now and the amount of components in a diesel now spells tons of repairs in the future.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
Newest 7.3 is 12 years old. People claim best motor ford made. It a good motor but we have had great luck out of our 6.4
Posted via Mobile Device
Navistar made the 7.3. If you can find a low mileage one I would go for it. If you can't, I would go gas. My 6.0 has been a good one but it takes a long time to save money with diesel fuel at the price it is and the diesel engine price premium, not to mention repair costs the newer diesel emission engines might need.
John Deere 14PZ
Honda HRC 216
Shindaiwa T270, M231 Muliti-Tool & EB802 Stihl MS230 CBE
Echo 210s
Old 01-05-2014, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke View Post
Navistar made the 7.3. If you can find a low mileage one I would go for it. If you can't, I would go gas. My 6.0 has been a good one but it takes a long time to save money with diesel fuel at the price it is and the diesel engine price premium, not to mention repair costs the newer diesel emission engines might need.
I miss typed I know the the 7.3 is a international motor. With our 7.3 we have spent thousands of dollars in repairs and down time. Our 6.4 has had zero issue. And it has a warranty to 130k
Old 01-06-2014, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
I miss typed I know the the 7.3 is a international motor. With our 7.3 we have spent thousands of dollars in repairs and down time. Our 6.4 has had zero issue. And it has a warranty to 130k
It seems to be a mixed bag with diesel engines of all manufacturers. I had a 7.3 that had some problems before I traded for the 6.0 but I think the 6.0 and 7.3 will go down as some of the best diesel engines in a Ford truck. I will still go gas the next time.
John Deere 14PZ
Honda HRC 216
Shindaiwa T270, M231 Muliti-Tool & EB802 Stihl MS230 CBE
Echo 210s
Old 01-06-2014, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injured LCO View Post
Both are Diesels. Which one should I choose?
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't really see how this is even comparative unless it's just to stir the pot. There is a 10k+ difference in price in work truck models never mind going with a trim level. Plus there is three basic different 7.3 engines used in Ford trucks.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I don't really see how this is even comparative unless it's just to stir the pot. There is a 10k+ difference in price in work truck models never mind going with a trim level. Plus there is three basic different 7.3 engines used in Ford trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Injured LCO; 01-09-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Phone acting up. Anyways, had an f250hd 1996 with 7.3. Looking at trucks to replace and I see them offered with 6.4 engines. I am not familiar with those. I am not trying to stir any pots just want to know the differences and which way I should go. I want to either go with a F350 to F550 when I get my settlement.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Phone acting up. Anyways, had an f250hd 1996 with 7.3. Looking at trucks to replace and I see them offered with 6.4 engines. I am not familiar with those. I am not trying to stir any pots just want to know the differences and which way I should go. I want to either go with a F350 to F550 when I get my settlement.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well there is a whole model engine between the 2. Money a side the 6.4 is a better engine. Now we know that isn't realistic the 6.4 will have costlier repairs and require a lot of specialty tools and mechanics to work on compared to the old tractor engine of a 7.3. The emission stuff is a PIA with the 6.4. There are a few known issues with the 6.4 but for the most part its a reliable as any other engine made in its day. Diesels had it rough the last decade across all three brands. The 6.4 gets a better transmission and a overall more appealing truck compared to whats left out there is the 7.3 world work truck wise. The turning radius is crazy good in the 05+ trucks. I wouldn't trade that for a 7.3 in the business I do alone. If you want reliability a lone the 7.3 is the best diesel engine ford has ever used in a truck period it was used close to 20 years and almost every school bus around had the 7.3 in it too. If you're wanting to face the inevitable you should get the 6.4 as the 7.3 trucks are starting to fall apart around the engine with anyone wanting to get rid of one now a days. If you want to gamble or find a really good deal and willing to pay to fix up a 6.0 deals can be had and to me would be a better choice over a 6.4 IMHO.