Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Central Missouri (Columbia here)

It's always good to talk with others in the area.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Just saw your from Columbia! How is the year going so far for you?
Old 05-24-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh man, I couldn't ask for more. Customers are great for the most part. Temps are wonderful! Rain, sun, rain, sun...we're living the dream this year. I know it can turn on a dime, but right now it's great.

Are you solo or part of another crew?

I'm solo and this is my 15th year. I leave the office job in early to mid-afternoon most days. Except it was so nice out today I took off this morning and did some mowing before coming in. I have 35 accounts and have managed to work it so that they're almost all on the west side of town within 1/2 mile or so of each other. I have a few exceptions and until yesterday the furthest away was 2 miles, where I have 3 grouped together.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes I couldn't ask for much better weather here but hope it last long! I am solo and have about 40 accounts plus three trailer parks and still taking on more as they come.

I stay mostly west of town and to the south with my mowing but I do have a few that kinda apart from the others but they are just the trailer parks.

This will be my 3rd ture year in business but I have been doing this since I was a kid like most but I am only 20 and still going to college so it can be tough at times for me but other than that this has been a great year so far and am stay really busy.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to college there. Miss that town. I thought about starting my business there but didn't. Some days I wish I did. Good luck to you all. That is a happy place!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Newbie here...I'm currently attending MU and I'm looking to get my own lawn care company up and running before I graduate. Any do's or don'ts for the COMO area?
Old 01-05-2014, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How about them Tigers!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

They are definitely holding their own in the SEC so far. I have to give it to Pinkel. I definitely didn't think he was going to be able to turn it around.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

DOs: Advertise. A lot. Door hangers, fliers, etc. Do a great job and be personable. Sell yourself, not your services. Do try to keep your jobs in the same neighborhoods. Don't drive all over town to mow one lawn then another. You'll eat up a lot of time that way w/ nothing to show for it.

DONTs: Don't lowball. Price competitively, but there's really no need to go below market value. There's more work available than you could ever do yourself. Don't do average quality work. Go above and beyond what you see others doing.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack Lawn Care View Post
DOs: Advertise. A lot. Door hangers, fliers, etc. Do a great job and be personable. Sell yourself, not your services. Do try to keep your jobs in the same neighborhoods. Don't drive all over town to mow one lawn then another. You'll eat up a lot of time that way w/ nothing to show for it.

DONTs: Don't lowball. Price competitively, but there's really no need to go below market value. There's more work available than you could ever do yourself. Don't do average quality work. Go above and beyond what you see others doing.
Thanks Caddyshack. What is the average for Como for a weekly/bi-weekly? Also, I currently have a 2 door car that I plan to use initially as my "work truck." Do you think it would seem unprofessional if I pulled up in my car and popped the trunk to pull out my equipment or do you think it would be a better idea to invest in a $2k-$4k S-10 or something. What are your thoughts?

I see a lot of posts on here about not going into debt when first starting, but I also know that the way customers view your company has a lot to do with the possibility of growing.

Thanks for the previous advice.