Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-06-2014, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Gravely Pro Turn 460

Last year I bought my first 460 and was very impressed. I ordered it with the 31hp Kawasaki FX921v.
For next season I am looking adding two more 460's for my 2nd crew. My dilemma is which engine to go with... there is now an available 35hp Kawasaki FX1000v. I think it definitely makes sense to bump up in HP. I love HP and "No one ever complained about too much power". However, I have been talking to a few guys in my area that are running Exmarks with EFI and they say that they are saving a ton in fuel costs (over 30%). The trouble is that the only EFI offered on the 460 is a Kohler 26.5hp EFI.
Is the EFI worth the loss in HP?
Would I notice the difference in HP?
Does anyone know nything about fuel consumption with the Kawasaki FX1000v?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Get in contact with ProStreetCamaro, he has the Kohler EFI on his 460. I have only heard good things.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I sell several Ferris 3100Zs with the FX1000V on them, and I will say that the power is awesome....but the reliability is spotty. I've had some that have been great, but not all of them. They are gonnna consume more than 2 gallons per hour no matter what you do. If your mowing stuff waist deep and keep the machine loaded up....even more GPH. but it will chug through it and laugh (especially if your running the 37DFI model ). The Kohler EFI models are pretty sweet, I sell them on my Ferris, Bobcat, and Walker models and I've got plenty running around town with 1500+ hours on them. I just replaced one with 3200 hrs in a walker GHS....On the Ferris 2000Z, I took a demo home and averaged 1.3 - 1.5 GPH mowing pretty tall/wet grass. I was very impressed. So there is a trade off, Just test them for a couple days and take your pick..... But if I had to choose....Kohler EFI I would say.....
Old 01-06-2014, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Kawasaki 1000 in DFI and it's a gas hog.... For normal mowing 31 hp is way plenty... The Kohler EFI would be my choice... Your looking at 2gph with the Kawasaki 1000 and probably 1.0-1.2 gph with the Kohler EFI
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2014, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I went from 35hp VG on the Scag TT to the Kohler EFI on the 460. Unless you primarily bag and/or cut overgrown stuff constantly you will like the lesser fuel consumption of the efi Kohler. You can still get through the tall wet stuff just not as fast.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2014, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
I went from 35hp VG on the Scag TT to the Kohler EFI on the 460. Unless you primarily bag and/or cut overgrown stuff constantly you will like the lesser fuel consumption of the efi Kohler. You can still get through the tall wet stuff just not as fast.
Posted via Mobile Device
How much slower? With my current 460 I can go through tall wet stuff like butter. If I go to the 35hp I know I will have no problem with this either. However, I do have a concern with the 26.5hp EFI in these conditions... I have another smaller Kawasaki that is 24hp and it gets bogged down in some of the really thick wet stuff. That is something I do not want to have to deal with.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik1981 View Post
How much slower? With my current 460 I can go through tall wet stuff like butter. If I go to the 35hp I know I will have no problem with this either. However, I do have a concern with the 26.5hp EFI in these conditions... I have another smaller Kawasaki that is 24hp and it gets bogged down in some of the really thick wet stuff. That is something I do not want to have to deal with.
Well I demoed a 31 hp Kawi before buying the Kohler and haven't noticed any difference in the 26 Kohler. Im definitly glad i got the Kohler for the fuel savings.

You have fuel injection which is more efficient at transferring power vs. a carburetor. Also the Kohler hp numbers were just recently lowered. This was a 29 hp under the previous rating. So your 24 hp Kawi is gonna be a noticeable difference. Hopefully you can find one to demo with the Kohler.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-07-2014, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Does anyone else out there have any experience with the 35hp Kawasaki? I love my 31hp Kawasaki except the fuel consumption... I really like the idea of more power but I don't known if I could stomach a whole lot more fuel consumption... I would like to go to the 26.5hp Kohler EFI but it seems like I would be loosing a lot of power. Has anyone used the 31hp Kawasaki and the Kohler EFI? I know Kohler just changed their rating from 29hp to 26.5hp.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You know more power will save time when conditions warrant it...but at what cost the rest of the year? Pen to paper?
This is an appreciable amount of power difference and fuel consumption, so it will be interesting to hear from those with experiences using both engines.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 01-07-2014, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik1981 View Post
Does anyone else out there have any experience with the 35hp Kawasaki? I love my 31hp Kawasaki except the fuel consumption... I really like the idea of more power but I don't known if I could stomach a whole lot more fuel consumption... I would like to go to the 26.5hp Kohler EFI but it seems like I would be loosing a lot of power. Has anyone used the 31hp Kawasaki and the Kohler EFI? I know Kohler just changed their rating from 29hp to 26.5hp.
I think you're getting too wrapped up in advertised HP numbers.

Liberty is correct. That's the same engine I have pushing a 60" deck. I don't mow in the bush, but, I have a large municipal property and several contractor lots that are allowed pretty substantial height before I'm allowed to mow them. I have no desire for more power. To me, it isn't worth it to nearly double your fuel consumption, for every hour of operation, especially if you're looking at running two of them. You're doubling your operating expense, for each mower, with arguably not much, if any, return.

As others stated, get a demo. I think you'll be surprised.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer