Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-31-2013, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I want to learn how to trim shrubs!!

I'd like to educate myself on the different types of trees and shrubs, and the proper way to trim/prune them. Does anyone know some literature I can get or some instructional videos?

2005 Chevorlet Silverado Z71 4X4
77"x14' Landscape Trailer
2010 Gravely CompactPro 44
2006 Troy Bilt Super Bronco
Stihl FS 130R Trimmer
Stihl FS 85X Trimmer
Stihl FS 55 Trimmer
Echo PE 200 Edger
Husqvaurna 150BT Backpack Blower
22" Craftsman Hedge Clippers
Arctic Cat 300 4X4
Old 12-31-2013, 02:00 PM
Sponsor

I recommend the following publication. An Illustrated Guide to Pruning 3rd (third) Edition by Gilman, Edward F. published by Cengage Learning (2011) Paperback – January 1, 0010. You can preview on line.
Happy New Year
easy-lift guy
Old 12-31-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Try your public library. FREE!!! YouTube. FREE!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2014, 03:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For me, it was just learning the basics. Then, it all just "clicked" for me. I guess I was already familiar with the growth habits of most plants and trees around here. I just didn't know how to prune. Didn't even know the basics. So, like a lot of landscapers, I was just making everything into balls with shears or hedge trimmers (Wrong!!!)

Then I read Ortho: All About Pruning. Fairly basic book.But it covers ALL of the basics. After I read that book, it just all clicked for me. I could pretty much look at any plant, knowing it's growth habit, and know the right way to prune it.

So I recommend that book. I have all my guys read that book.

Aside from basic pruning techniques that apply to most plants and trees, here are a few other basic pruning concepts that I've found very useful.

1) Don't hedge anything with shears or a hedge trimmer unless it's meant to be a formal hedge! Everything else is to be pruned with hand pruners and loppers or not pruned at all.

2) Keep plants in their natural shape and form. Nandinas, Barberry, Burning Bush, Spiraea, etc. aren't supposed to look like perfectly round balls! Get to know their natural shape and then you just use basic pruning techniques to keep them in that natural shape.

3) Most evergreen trees don't need pruning. If the trees look like this - don't freaking touch them! They look just fine! Don't raise the crown (that is, cut the lower branches). Don't hedge it and make it look flat in front. Don't trim it around to make it smaller. If it's getting in the way of something else, then the solution is to probably remove that tree and install something that doesn't get that big. The solution ISN'T to butcher the natural shape of the tree!

4) Japanese Laceleaf Maples aren't difficult to prune. Don't be afraid of them. First apply basic pruning techniques like removing dead growth inside and removing some of the criss-crossing branches. Then do a little thinning - pruning at the proper place on the branch. The idea is to be able to see into the branch structure a little, even when it's leafing out. Like this, not like this. Here's a good page with great pics as examples. You can charge good money if you really learn how to prune this properly. And it's not that difficult.

5) Topiaries are similar in that they really aren't that hard to prune. You just have to know how and when. Topiaries are plants that are in shapes, like spiral, pom-pom, etc.

With topiaries, the main thing is to keep up on regular pruning. They need to be pruned a good 3 times or more, during the growing season - every few months. You don't want to ever let them get out of hand. If they get more than a few inches growth on them, you're starting to lose the game and it will be WAY more difficult to bring them back to the shape they were in when they were installed. If you just prune them regularly, it's easy. Then it's just a quick hair cut with some really sharp pruning shears. It's friggin' easy! You're literally just trimming off an inch or so to make them look tight again. Sort of like mowing a lawn every week. That regular mowing is what creates a tight, dense lawn. Same concept here. You can use hedge trimmers on really large topiaries. But usually some really fine/sharp shears and a small ladder are all you need.

6) Prune down perennials when they are brown (or falling over and looking terrrible). My motto for pruning most perennials is; "If it's brown, cut it down." That works for 98% of perennials in people's yards. Even in the middle of the summer it can work well. Got some re-blooming daylillies that looked amazing in May but now in August they look ratty and half-brown? Cut them down. You'll be amazed. They'll be back up and looking great with all new green growth in 2-3 weeks. In 4 weeks you'll have all new blooms on them! Same with ornamental grasses. It's supposed to be evergreen but for some reason looks ratty? Doesn't matter what time of year it is, cut the damm thing down! (Usually ornamental grasses you leave a few inches above the ground). If it's a hardy evergreen ornamental grass in your area, it will come right back in a month or less and look amazing again!

You gotta be a little careful with this rule. Don't want to create a misunderstanding and have one of your guys (or you) cut down a Hydrangea all the way to the ground just because it's brown in the winter. That would be a costly mistake! So it pays to know your specific plants. But as a general rule, that's a good one.

7) Always use the right tool! If you're having problems with the hand pruners (always use Felco, brothers! Felco #2) then put down the hand pruner and get the loppers. Don't force the hand pruners to do something that's too big of a job for them. If your loppers aren't doing well, drop the loppers and pull out your folding hand saw. If the saw ain't cutting it easily, then put that down and grab your bow saw. Same thing goes with shearing. Shears aren't cutting it, get the hedge trimmer. That thing isn't cutting it, get the BIGGER hedge trimmer, etc. Never make your equipment do work it's not made to do and always have all the right pruning tools at your disposal as you're doing your pruning.

Hope that helps. Best of luck, Brother. Pruning is actually fun work, if you learn how to do it properly.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 01-01-2014, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is some very good advice Jim! I only know as much about trimming as my former boss taught me, but I think I'm going to take a look at that book.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2014, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

great advice posted.

i would buy this book

this book is great for basic and advanced pruning and training techniques such as pinch pruning, espalier, wall training, pollarding, pleaching, etc.
learn the right way and like Jim said, its easy abduction you can make good money doing it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2014, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
That is some very good advice Jim! I only know as much about trimming as my former boss taught me, but I think I'm going to take a look at that book.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats about the way I feel. And I have only taught my guys what I know. I just went on amazon and ordered a few of those ortho books for like $4 each- used. I am going to have my guys read it too and then keep one in the truck for any shrubs they dont know what to do on in season.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim, I'm not sure you've covered everything. lol
Nice example on the jap maple,BTW.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for advice everyone. Someone touch on Crepe Mrytles!!

2005 Chevorlet Silverado Z71 4X4
77"x14' Landscape Trailer
2010 Gravely CompactPro 44
2006 Troy Bilt Super Bronco
Stihl FS 130R Trimmer
Stihl FS 85X Trimmer
Stihl FS 55 Trimmer
Echo PE 200 Edger
Husqvaurna 150BT Backpack Blower
22" Craftsman Hedge Clippers
Arctic Cat 300 4X4
Old 01-06-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflawncare View Post
Thanks for advice everyone. Someone touch on Crepe Mrytles!!
crapes are simple...remove crossing, dead/decaying, and branches growing straight up or back into canopy.....they should need a lot of pruning if they are planted in the right place to begin with.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
hedges , pruning , shrubs , tree care , trimming