Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-07-2014, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree go with the Class A.

You are in Bel air. There is a guy somewhere in Baltimore County that teaches a CDL school for a reasonable cost. He will even work with your schedule. If you need his name and number I can't promise you, but I can *try* to get it for you. A buddy of mine got his class A through him a yr or two ago.

Presuming you have a biz to run like I did when I was 18 - working for a national carrier won't work for you. CDL school would be the better route for a business owner.

Also - The DOT inspectors in MD WILL write you a ticket if you pull a trailer over 10,000# gvw without a Class A.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with the others that said get the Class A. I was going for a Class B and my wife suggested I get the Class A and be done with it.

Its been 20 yrs and I'm still so glad I took her advise.

Now I'm covered for any type lawn/landscape trailer I decide to pull should DOT laws turn uglier than they are.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
I agree go with the Class A.

You are in Bel air. There is a guy somewhere in Baltimore County that teaches a CDL school for a reasonable cost. He will even work with your schedule. If you need his name and number I can't promise you, but I can *try* to get it for you. A buddy of mine got his class A through him a yr or two ago.

Presuming you have a biz to run like I did when I was 18 - working for a national carrier won't work for you. CDL school would be the better route for a business owner.

Also - The DOT inspectors in MD WILL write you a ticket if you pull a trailer over 10,000# gvw without a Class A.
Only if Youre over 26 combined. Thats a federal law
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-07-2014, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

You might want to try your local community college. Our local one, Chesapeake College, offers CDL training.

We see their tractor/trailer on the road all the time.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
You are correct. 26001 is the magic number.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL

Look at the wording in my post.

When I know people that have been written tickets for pulling an empty 14,000# gooseneck with a dually pick up on a class b, it is what it is. If you don't believe me - shoot me a e-mail and I'lll provde you with the drivers name and you can pull it up on MD Case Search and see for yourself

Also, in March, during a roadside inspection the DOT officer in Montgomery county told me they can enforce either MD DOT laws and or FED dot laws, or both. And on his own, he was telling me about the 14,000 pound thing.

So again - check out how I worded the original post

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
Old 01-07-2014, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS Lawns View Post
You are correct. 26001 is the magic number.
That is the magic number if you have a class b or class C truck with a trailer with a GVW under 10,000#.

But in MD it does not stop there - the police ARE in fact writing tickets if your trailer has a GVW of more than 10,000 pounds.

If you go to MD's Assembly General website and read the annoted code - such a law does exist. HOWEVER - last I checked - it's written with a TYPO!!! LOL

How many people actually research the laws before going to court to get out of a ticket??? Unless you're a law student - the answer is "almost never"!

But for this law - presuming they haven't corrected the typo - you go to court and you point out the mis-worded annoted code to the judge. And the judge will think you're the smartestest landscaper on earth

We have a 14,000 pound trailer. LOL - But I called the manufacturer and asked them to send me a new spec sticker showing 10,000# gvw! Thank god because one of my guys was stopped this summer and he said the officer actually got out of his car and checked the gvw listed on the spec sticker.

This is how MD makes their money. And they're making hundreds of thousands of dollars off of this law.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Old 01-07-2014, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

actually wiffyspark - my buddy that was ticketed, went to court in MOCO. This was in 2010 if memory serves me right. they did whatever they do in court, and now that traffic ticket no longer appears on MD Case Search. I do know that his boss had to come get the truck and trailer!

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Old 01-07-2014, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
LOL

Look at the wording in my post.

When I know people that have been written tickets for pulling an empty 14,000# gooseneck with a dually pick up on a class b, it is what it is. If you don't believe me - shoot me a e-mail and I'lll provde you with the drivers name and you can pull it up on MD Case Search and see for yourself

Also, in March, during a roadside inspection the DOT officer in Montgomery county told me they can enforce either MD DOT laws and or FED dot laws, or both. And on his own, he was telling me about the 14,000 pound thing.

So again - check out how I worded the original post
GVWR plus the trailer is over 26k on DRW trucks 99% of the time. I think a f350 is 12400 in the lowest GVWR DRW setup.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
Read the book,read the book, read the book then get your learners. Find a driving school to get your driving time in to start with and drive with anyone that you can . Have the driving school take you with their truck for the test. These schools have the trucks set up to make things as simple as possible. It will end up costing you around 1200-1600 dollars . The schools and instructors know what the guys at DMV are looking for and will tell you which location is strict on what and how they want things worded on your pre trip. If I were you just get your A rather then having to go back thru to get it
this is the way to go. get your class A. find a school and they will help you get the license with easy. just remember to go over the material alot. good luck. you will be glad you got it.