Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2014, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
That is the magic number if you have a class b or class C truck with a trailer with a GVW under 10,000#.

But in MD it does not stop there - the police ARE in fact writing tickets if your trailer has a GVW of more than 10,000 pounds.

If you go to MD's Assembly General website and read the annoted code - such a law does exist. HOWEVER - last I checked - it's written with a TYPO!!! LOL

How many people actually research the laws before going to court to get out of a ticket??? Unless you're a law student - the answer is "almost never"!

But for this law - presuming they haven't corrected the typo - you go to court and you point out the mis-worded annoted code to the judge. And the judge will think you're the smartestest landscaper on earth

We have a 14,000 pound trailer. LOL - But I called the manufacturer and asked them to send me a new spec sticker showing 10,000# gvw! Thank god because one of my guys was stopped this summer and he said the officer actually got out of his car and checked the gvw listed on the spec sticker.

This is how MD makes their money. And they're making hundreds of thousands of dollars off of this law.
If you have a 25999 truck and a 9999 trailer you're in the clear

if you have a 12450 dually and a 14k trailer, you're over

There is NO law that says a trailer over 10 has to have a cdl. It's for if you have a a truck that is 26001 and a trailer is 10001, THAN you need a cdl.

You do not need a cdl for a 12k trailer and 12k truck.

Personally I'll just stay the hell out of Montgomery county. I hear nothing but dumb sh t up there. Anne Arundel Is just as bad
Old 01-08-2014, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post

There is NO law that says a trailer over 10 has to have a cdl. It's for if you have a a truck that is 26001 and a trailer is 10001, THAN you need a cdl.
I've spent hours upon hours researching. I'm sorry my friend, but you are wrong, there most certainly is such a law

If you'd like, I can possibly e-mail you a link to the annoted code.

My father is retired from PA MVA, and that's how this whole thing was brought to my attention. I said "we're getting a 14k trailer", he said "in PA you'll need a Class A". Which that then prompted me to look at MD's laws. I even called the I-270 scale house and asked.

But the final word on all laws is in Maryland General Assembly's annoted codes. That is what a judge will reference.

But you know what, Wiffy? Law or not , whether I like it or not, whether you like it or not - the DOT police in all of MD are in fact writing tickets for this and they're not allowing drivers to drive the trailer, they're having the drivers call someone properly licensed to come get the trailer.

Bottom line (for the topic creator) - just get the Class A and call it a day

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 01-08-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
I've spent hours upon hours researching. I'm sorry my friend, but you are wrong, there most certainly is such a law

If you'd like, I can possibly e-mail you a link to the annoted code.

My father is retired from PA MVA, and that's how this whole thing was brought to my attention. I said "we're getting a 14k trailer", he said "in PA you'll need a Class A". Which that then prompted me to look at MD's laws. I even called the I-270 scale house and asked.

But the final word on all laws is in Maryland General Assembly's annoted codes. That is what a judge will reference.

But you know what, Wiffy? Law or not , whether I like it or not, whether you like it or not - the DOT police in all of MD are in fact writing tickets for this and they're not allowing drivers to drive the trailer, they're having the drivers call someone properly licensed to come get the trailer.

Bottom line (for the topic creator) - just get the Class A and call it a day

This is correct, any trailer over 10K used for commercial transport is subject to a Class A endorsement. I think the rules are different for recreational and farm use as most of the 5th wheel travel trailers are over 10K. Now your state may not enforce these rules but they are there federally and if you get in a wreck you're screwed.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Truck and trailer combination over 26k if the trailer exceeds 10k. Federal law not state to state........
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2014, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Duffster needs to chime in
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2014, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Duffster needs to chime in
Posted via Mobile Device
Arguing with idiots from county jail is pointless.

Sheep will fall for anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Duffster; 01-08-2014 at 02:13 PM.