Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2014, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

RM 7500 BP as snow~Blower

Gotta say the extra airspeed at the tip (236mph) sure came in handy for fluffy snow blowing...especially for scrubbing 'some' packed-down tire tracks in driveways. They would just break apart and fly away!

We normally get heavy/wet snow here...but these last few Arctic snowstorms were easily managed. Having a windy day helped to completely clear double, even triple driveways...leaving virtually nothing behind, save for some stubborn tiretracks &/or foot prints. WB snowblowers and shovels always leave behind something. The trick was to not walk on the surface to be cleared and just use the wind to keep the spraying snow from hitting my face...cuz at these recent cold temps I could see frostbite being a true danger in a short period of time. (Note to self: buy a full mask! )

Would a 7500 be superior to an 8500, OR the other way around for snow~blowing purposes?
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 01-08-2014, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just make sure you salt after. I do this all the time, but Ice will develop quickly, so salt right after you blow.

14 Years old
Old 01-08-2014, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good advice for our usual snowstorms.
No need this time as there was nothing but dry concrete remaining/underneath. We're talking single digits for highs around here this last Sun/Mon when I easily dealt with our ~4" snowfall. Yeah, not a huge storm as far as snow-depth. We were LUCKY compared to about anywhere from central Missouri eastward.

This BP snow~Blower process will not work with our usual wet/heavy snows...which we usually receive at least 2/3s to 3/4s of the time.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 01-08-2014, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Used our Stihl backpack blowers on 3 snows this year. They work good to get down to pavement on townhome driveways where back dragging never gets all the way down. Takes some time and can be hard to stand there for hours but the end result is the best possible. Works up to about 2 inches of snow for us.. we even double team sometimes when it gets larger than 2 inches of snow.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did this on our fluffy snows. I never took the 7500 out just the 8500. I do think that the 8500, just like leaves, will move more snow. However, on the packed down tire tracks and footprints, I think the 7500 would scrape it off better.

I was going through 4 inches easy. Also hit 8 inch drifts and went through that like nothing.